This paper is a discussion of the role played by the ideals of the Enlightenment in the invention and assessment of artifacts like the electric battery. The first electric battery was built in 1799 by Alessandro Volta, who was both a natural philosopher and an artisan-like inventor of intriguing machines. I will show that the story of Volta and the battery contains three plots, each characterized by its own pace and logic. One is the story of natural philosophy, a second is the story of artifacts like the battery, and the third is the story of the loose, long-term values used to assess achievement and reward within and outside expert communities. An analysis of the three plots reveals that late eighteenth-century natural philosophers, despite their frequent celebration of 'useful knowledge,' were not fully prepared to accept the philosophical dignity of artifacts stemming from laboratory practice. Their hesitation was the consequence of a hierarchy of ranks and ascribed competence that was well established within the expert community. In order to make artifacts stemming from laboratory practice fully acceptable within the domain of natural philosophy, some important changes had yet to occur. Still, the case overwhelmingly shows that artifacts rightly belong to the long and varied list of items that make up the legacy of the Enlightenment.
The first electric battery was built towards the end of 1799 by a man who was both a natural philosopher - a member of the Republic of Letters of the late Enlightenment - and an artisan-like inventor of intriguing machines. The present paper is a discussion of the role played by Enlightenment ideals in the introduction and assessment of artifacts ...
... middle of paper ...
...blic scene the rewards that some of his peers refused to grant him within the expert community of natural philosophers. The same loose set of values allowed patrons like Napoleon to exploit to their advantage on the European scene the achievements of figures like Volta and instruments like the battery.
Finally (fourth transparency again), the loose set of values associated with the notions of achievement and reward allowed the Voltaic battery - this little understood artifact for which in 1800 nobody could predict the bright future of - to enjoy center-stage in a painting like this. Everyone was thus reassured - as I think we still are - of the worth of an inconspicuous, "philosophical" artifact like the battery. A worth that should induce us to include the battery in the long and varied list of valuable items rightly belonging to the legacy of the Enlightenment.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Although Benjamin Franklin did not construct the battery, he was the first person to use the term “battery” to describe a set of capacitors he used for electricity experiments. It was Alessandro Volta who invented the first true battery in 1800. (3) The battery was called the Voltaic Pile and had pairs of copper and zinc disc on top of each other, separated by a layer of cloth or cardboard soaked in brine. The Voltaic Pile produced a continuous and stable current and did not lose much charge over time or when not being used.... [tags: devices, electrical, chemistry, battery]
893 words (2.6 pages)
- The electric automobile as we know today has changed within just a century ago. The idea that was of a work of concept to being a long living dream that has changed the automobile scene in many ways. It has also spawn a new era of alternative energy uses besides consuming oils in many things we use today. In many ways the current electric car could change in how we perceive the current electric cars and all of its benefits it brings. The evolution of the electric car is interesting from its’ history and the competition that was happening during the past, in the present day it how it has made a resurgence plus has created innovations in the automotive industry and electric cars do have poten... [tags: Plug-in hybrid, Electric vehicle]
1442 words (4.1 pages)
- Gasoline powered cars are everywhere, with 800 million of them in 2008 (Seamans), it would be hard for the civilized world to give the car up for an alternative mode of transportation. The internal combustion engine vehicle (ICEV) provides transportation to millions everyday, someday though the petroleum supplies will run dry and an alternative will need to be found. If we as a society wait until that day to find the alternative, said alternative will be costly and probably inefficient. Electric cars have skulked in the shadows, neglected and abused, but soon that all will change.... [tags: pollution, gasoline, battery]
772 words (2.2 pages)
- In this case study I will be discussing advantages and disadvantages of electric cars. Electric cars are cars that are powered by electricity. Electric vehicles are an important part of cutting emissions and reducing global warming. The battery of an electric car stores electrical energy. The electric motor is coupled to the wheels through gears; it converts 59-60% of electrical energy into the wheels. The battery runs the motor which allows the car to move. Electric cars are necessary as they will save money, because electricity is cheaper than gas.... [tags: battery, economical, emissions]
542 words (1.5 pages)
- 1 Introduction The concept of Electric Vehicle Platform (EVP) is come with the support of the green energy and to protect the campus environment. Prediction of the battery size and capacity is the most essential thing for the EVPs. Exterior of the vehicle bodies and the rotating wheels makes the flow fully three dimensional. The power consumption is a matter of demand and the supply, on the demand side the power requirement for propulsion of the vehicle which includes rolling resistance and the air resistance and on the supply side the storage capacity of the battery pack and delivery of the require power. This motivates to perform aerodynamic study and use drag optimization techniques on... [tags: green enery, environment, battery]
1405 words (4 pages)
- Electric Car Charging Stations To Be Constructed To Help Nissan LEAF. Standard testing and upkeep enhances its life and improves efficiency. With the colder climate battery failure becomes far more frequent. As automobile emissions are a single of the key sources of greenhouse gases, men and women must discover ways to minimize their quantity. According to ConsumerReports.orgs Automobile Weblog, To see a map of shared outlets in a given location, drivers enter a destination. We don’t even recognize that – take the most widespread and clear issues – vehicles, golf carts, digital cameras, laptops and so many factors they all involve batteries.... [tags: automobile, battery, testing]
626 words (1.8 pages)
- When Ford Motor Company was founded in 1903, it would go on to start a revolution for the American auto industry. Ford pioneered the assembly line and increased auto production substantially. Today, Ford is one of the most successful auto makers in the world. According to the company, a key factor of success is the focus on building relationships and placing the consumer first. Understanding the consumer and how they view business helps Ford to continue improvement ("Marketing strategy", 2010).... [tags: Electric Cars Essays]
3201 words (9.1 pages)
- An electric vehicle is an automobile that is propelled by one electric motor or more, using electrical energy stored in batteries or another energy storage device. Some electric vehicles run one hundred percent on electricity, while others (hybrid electric vehicles) run partly on electricity and partly on some other fuel such as gas or diesel. Using electric vehicles that run one hundred percent on electricity would reduce the total primary energy consumed for personal transportation. There are more than 150,000 electric vehicles companies all over the world who construct and sell all kinds of electric vehicles.... [tags: Electric Cars Essays]
1925 words (5.5 pages)
- Electric vehicles can benefit us in many ways. Comparing with the internal combustion engine, EVs don’t cause pollution when operating. They can run in a long period of time. Economically, because these vehicles using battery, they reduce the oil import and the imbalance trading in the US and also the users save a lot of money. The cells used for these vehicles are called Nickel metal hydride battery which are very high power, long life, quick charge and easy to maintain. CELL REACTION The NiMH battery stores hydrogen as a reaction product in the solid phase.... [tags: essays research papers]
618 words (1.8 pages)
- One of the main components of an electric vehicle (EV) is the controller. The controller takes power from the batteries and delivers it to the motor. To do this the accelerator pedal is hooked up to a pair of potentiometers, which provide the signal which tells the controller how much power it needs to deliver. For safety there are two potentiometers, the controller reads both potentiometers to make sure that their signal are the same, if the signals are not equal then the controller will not operate.... [tags: Electric Vehicles Green Environment]
2301 words (6.6 pages)