Surfing the Internet can truly be fun sometimes. Many times you don’t realize how long you've been in there until you sign out and your server tells you that you have spent many hours surfing the net, either that or the sunshine begins to bug you. Yet there’s something that has began to bother me every time I surf the net. I feel that I just can’t trust anyone. People are using this way of communication to be free about anything .It scares me how it is so easy to create identities through the digital world of computers to surf the life of the Internet. I feel the evolution of computers is influencing our way of living and our lives.
In Sherry Turkle’s article she tells us the different ways of creating games, alternate identities and lives people assume when they are "gaming" online as she calls it (456).Free speech , privacy, people sending you all kinds of stuff over the internet–porn for example I’m really tired of it! . All I know is that every time I check my Email box there are piles of messages coming up like “Are you Horny?” and many other that are so indecent to say.
I feel that we are not protected from the internet. There must be a way to control these unwanted messages, because my block sender feature seems not to work. Calling Aol to change my password doesn’t either. What can we do? For me it is scary sometimes I’m not against technology at all but there must be a way that technology doesn’t take over. I always wonder how people sending pornographic web pages get our emails address, I assume that they probably steal or buy our information from Internet servers. I guess is it just like when you get junk mail from businesses that mail you advertisement from items you n...
... middle of paper ...
Turkle,Sherry “Who Am We?” The Presence of Others Voices and Images That Calls for Response. Third Edition . Lunsford and Ruszkiewicz. New York: Bedford St.Martin’s, 2000. 442
Race, Jeffrey. "Extermining Spammers Step- By Step” http://www.About.com (25 March. 2002)
”How Content Filters Block Access to Kid-Friendly Information on the Internet” Electronic Privacy Information Center, Washington, DC http://www.epic.org/ (December 2002)
Boettiger, Adam “What can I do about spam?” http://www.email911.com/resources/articles.html.Copyright © 2002
weil, Debbie "Ten things you can do TODAY to take control of your email" http://www.email911.com/resources/articles.html.Copyright © 2002
"How Do Filters Work?".The Guide to Safe Internet Access at Home.http://www.surfcontrol.com/resources/home/files/Parents.pdf (19 Apr. 2002)
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Porn, its everywhere. Go to any major search engine and you are well on your way to viewing some of the finest cyber porn around. No age verification, no credit card required, all it takes is just a couple of clicks on the mouse. But wait a second, why is it so easy, was it always like this. Not really, as we have seen, the Internet and the pornography industry have come together to make quite an explosion that has brought many issues to the surface. It's a scary fact to realize that 83.5% images available on the Internet are pornographical.... [tags: Internet Pornography Essays]
2226 words (6.4 pages)
- Pornography on the Internet is affordable, available, and abundant. One can easily find websites for viewing this type of material. Although the reports on the actual number of these sites vary, the availability and accessibility of the sites are rarely disputed. Some critics of this form of expression or form of obscenity believe that the pornography itself can cause pornography addictions. Internet pornography does not produce addicts, but rather the propensity to be a pornography addict already exists within individuals by the time they reach adulthood and sustains itself within those individuals.... [tags: Internet Pornography Essays 2015]
4354 words (12.4 pages)
- In recent years, the term pornography has been primarily associated with that which is accessed and streamed over the internet, rather than the literal definition of, “obscene writings, drawings, photographs, or the like, especially those having little or not artistic merit.” This form of visual pornography is a popular and successful business as it is viewed for fulfilling pent up sexual desires, however it promotes the act of having multiple sex partners without the need of any commitment. Although it is for this reason that this business is permitted, there are many overlooked, long – term affects that have become topics of controversy.... [tags: Pornography Essays]
1051 words (3 pages)
- “The word pornography comes from the Greek meaning, whore, harlot, prostitute, and to buy or sell a woman” (Oprah,2009). The word alone is degrading to women, how bad could the actual acts be. There are so many forms pornography comes in: magazines, posters, music, videos, and the most popular, the internet. This all makes it way too easy to access. Some of the serious effects include violent and degrading acts towards women, the difference between a real sex life and the ones on TV, and the sexual problems that pornography contributes to for many, many couples.... [tags: Pornography Essays]
1980 words (5.7 pages)
- The Pornography Debate Pornography has been the topic of discussion in the court systems for years. Many would like to see legislation against it and software to filter it. The problem is it's not that easy and making laws against it would pose a problem against the first amendment. There have many issues brought up on the grounds that it is demoralizing to women and is filth for the eyes of children. But, is pornography really that harmful. There are many reasons why the government is having trouble putting restrictions on pornography.... [tags: Pornography]
823 words (2.4 pages)
- Imagine a place where you have access to anything and everything one could want. Some would say that is only existent in a utopia, and some would say that describes the Internet. Many adults go on to the net and access pornographic material that would be unsuitable for children. This is called cyberporn. The controversy lies in the fact that children are accessing these materials also. Government, activist groups, and concerned parents are fighting to regulate obscene material found over the Internet to protect children.... [tags: Internet Censorship]
2388 words (6.8 pages)
- Very few of us are strangers to pornography. Definitions and opinions aside, in each of our lives there was a moment when we first encountered that particular book or image or movie which forever skewed our conventional view of sex. After our introduction to pornography, sex just didn't seem as clean, serious or sacred. It became clumsy, juvenile, or simply laughable. I first became an acquaintance of pornography at the age of thirteen during a summer visit to my uncle's bachelor bungalow. In the bottom drawer of an old chest I found some moldy old copies of Hustler Magazine.... [tags: Pornography Censorship]
3174 words (9.1 pages)
- Since the internet is so easy, accessible and essentially unregulated, it leaves room for many controversies, including electronic commerce, credit card fraud, invasion of privacy and more. One of the most controversial problems is internet pornography. Imagine receiving unwanted e-mail and suddenly get sent nude pictures of people and links which invite you to more of what they have already shown. Think about your son, daughter or even yourself being on a music site and you accidentally click a link and before you now it you are being subjected to hard core pornography.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- Effects of Internet Pornography It used to be almost impossible for children to get pornography. Comer stores would place adult magazines such as playboy on the top rack behind all the other magazines so that only the title was visible and it was out of reach of children. Movie stores would have separate rooms at the front of the store for their porn videos; this way they could monitor who went into the room. In today's technologically advanced society, pornographic magazines and videos are becoming extinct.... [tags: Internet Essays Media]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- Pornography is one of mankind's most revered, respected, and repulsed pastimes. Adults can use pornography to relieve stress, enhance their sex lives, or simply as a means of entertainment. One of the easiest and most popular ways of obtaining pornographic material is over the Internet. The only downside is that the Internet is accessible to children; therefore, pornography is accessible to children. While adults should have limitless access to Internet porn, minors should be kept away from this concubine.... [tags: Internet Censorship]
1209 words (3.5 pages)