I think that technology has had both positively and negatively impacted the family life in our society. But I think the positive effects out way the negative ones. In this term paper I will focus on how cell phones, internet, and home security systems. These are only a few of the technology that has affected family life. I will first talk about the positive effects then I will explain the negative effects.
Communication has had a big impact on family life in our society. Cell phones have become very popular in the past few years. One big cell phone that has been very popular with younger generations is the Nextel cell phones. One reason for this is because the Nextel phone has two way radios built into them. This makes it very easy for someone to talk to another person, you don’t have to dial up their number you just find their name and then push the button and then talk to them. Everyone in my family owns a Nextel phone. My parents got my brother’s and me phones so that they could get a hold of us easier when we went away. When I was in high school they were nice because I could call my parents and tell them where I was going and let them know when I was going to be home. Since cell phones are made smaller these days they are easier to carry around and much more convenient then trying to find a pay phone and then worrying if you have money for the pay phone.
The internet has a positive impact much like cell phones. By this I am mainly talking about email and instant messenger. Email has had a huge impact on family life because it allows families to write each other that might not be able to talk to each other very often. Most email are free this is ...
... middle of paper ...
...lso many other sites on the internet that are dangerous such as online gambling sites that say you can win lots of money. With these types of sites and many other sites that want you to give up personal information such as credit cards numbers, pin numbers, or social security number you have to be very careful and make sure that the site is a creditable site.
There really isn’t too many things that I can say are negative about having a home security system because it will keep your family safe. The only ones that I can think of would be maybe the headache of insulting it. Another one is that it now a days people have to get home security systems. These are just a few ways technology has affected the family life in our society, but there are many more then the one that I have told you about in this paper. And there are many more to come in the future.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Family vs technology By: Darious .D. Fleming Horry Georgetown Technical College Technology is one thing that is ever changing in today’s society. When the cell phone was first invented it was big and bulky. It could barely fit in your pocket now; cell phones are made thin and small. Before it would have been unusual to see children with cell phones even if they were teenagers now, it’s normal to see those things. Fifty-three percent of the kids six years old have cell phones and seventy-five percent of children twelves to seventeen have cell phones.... [tags: Mobile phone, IPhone, Family, Text messaging]
1236 words (3.5 pages)
- Technology has influenced modern life in many ways and with its every advancement; people may find themselves wondering how these things are possible. Wireless devices are in such constant use every day from people in the medical field to the average individual. However, society may eventually suffer adverse effects from the over use of wireless technology devices, even for the purpose of education. While it is not surprising that digital media can take learning experiences to another level, and spark creativity in students as well, this type of learning does not come without great cost.... [tags: Technology ]
1306 words (3.7 pages)
- “Is technology tearing apart family life. Text messaging, social networking, and online video are changing the way parents and children see the world—and each other.” There are many technologies in today’s ‘smart’ world which are now being established not just as a want, but as a necessity of life. Among many technologies that can impact family life, Smartphones and computers are the two most crucial technologies that can impact family life. The functions of computers and Smartphones are not just bounded to internet surfing, gaming and assignment tools, but its variety of other functions including social networking systems, online mailing, and online face-to-face video chatting a... [tags: Technology ]
1620 words (4.6 pages)
- Family is a circle of strength and affection and acknowledged as the most significant thing in the world as all our life begins there. Technology is the deliberate provision of data in the configuration, creation, and usage of products and administrations, and in the association of human exercises for enhancing the best approach to do things and to make things simpler to do. In this modern era, technology plays a vital role in a person's life including his or her relationship in a family as it has drastically changed one’s family life.... [tags: family comunication harmed by technology]
804 words (2.3 pages)
- With the passing of time comes the inevitable arrival of change. We see this in nearly aspect in our lives including technology, education, and especially in our relationships. One relationship that has been examined over the years is our familial relationships. The “family” of today is nothing like the “family of the 1950’s. Some of these changes have been viewed as very positive; that they show the strength and resilience of the family despite the turmoil that may arise in the world we live in.... [tags: Family, Marriage, An American Family]
1112 words (3.2 pages)
- Over the past century the use of technology in our everyday life has increased tremendously. Just a few of these technology devices that are being used more frequently include objects such as cell phones, laptops, iPods and now one of the most recent frequently used devices known as the Fitbit. In 2007 Fitbit Inc. was founded in San Francisco, California. The founders James Park and Eric Friedman came up with useful devices that track your activities, exercises, food consumption, weight gain or loss, sleep patterns and much more.... [tags: Obesity, Physical exercise, Exercise, Sleep]
1558 words (4.5 pages)
- The impact of computer technology Has computer technology enhanced our society or has it crippled our ability to function ethically. Computer technology has affected the workplace and compromised our privacy leaving us exposed for unauthorized use of our personal identity. Our world has become less ethical and it has become very difficult to trust or determine what is authentic. In today’s world we are totally living in a computerized world and we have lost the human element. Many companies have transitioned their information totally to computers and software packages that has moved many people out of jobs.... [tags: Technology]
1571 words (4.5 pages)
- A 2010 Kaiser Foundation study showed that elementary aged children use on average 7.5 hours per day of entertainment technology (Rowan).Various studies have been conducted based on the controversial topic of the impact of technology on a child’s development. Many people believe that by handing their three year old an Ipad or Kindle it’s helping their brain development and enhancing their learning skills. There are some benefits but parents may be holding their children back from fully developing skills that are essential later in life.... [tags: creativity, imagination, technology]
796 words (2.3 pages)
- Relational Impact Relationships can build our brains. Social networking tends to allow for a broad sense of community. “Social relationships play important roles in childhood development, with social skill mastery predicting important social outcomes. Children must master several aspects of social competence and self-control (self-esteem, social anxiety, aggression control, and general social skills) in order to adequately perform in social settings.”(Harmon, 3) There are many positive ways to build up real-life relationship via the Internet such as real-time video chats, photo or video sharing, and collaborative editing managements.... [tags: relational impact, social networking]
1223 words (3.5 pages)
- Mr. Kord Campbell, a software creator, spends most of his time using multiple modes of technology. The excessive use of technology – “two computer screens alive with e-mail, instant messaging, online chats, a Web browser and the computer code he was writing” – caused him to overlook an e-mail from a company that wanted to buy his Internet startup (Richtel 1). He fixed the problem and the deal still went through successfully. This man is addicted to technology due to his job. Even when he turns away from his gadgets, he becomes distracted waiting for his phone to go off.... [tags: Impact of Technology on Our Lives]
2224 words (6.4 pages)