Not many people can add the position of National Security Advisor to their list of achievements, especially if those people are women. Condoleezza Rice, however, can place the accomplishment right up there with being a previous member of President Bush’s foreign-policy team, and tenured professor and provost in the political science department of the prestigious Stanford University.
Rice is well known for her knowledge on Russian history and current events. After growing up in Birmingham, Alabama during a time of racial segregation, Rice soon went on to graduate from the University of Denver at the age of 19 (she skipped two grades), where she became an expert in the issues of the Soviet Union. She also received two advanced degrees in political science. With a master’s degree from the University of Notre Dame and a doctorate from the University of Denver’s Graduate School of International Studies, she soon found herself a provost and professor at Stanford, only to be drawn away by a life in politics. In Washington, D.C., Rice worked on nuclear strategic planning with the Council on Foreign Relations fellowship at the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
After returning to Stanford, she soon found herself back in the political spotlight. President George Bush, in 1989, trusted Rice to the point of allowing her to aid in Russian policy and relations. Rice became the director of Soviet and East European affairs with the National Security Council, special assistant to the president for national security affairs and senior director for Soviet affairs in the National Security Council. In essence, Rice helped Poland receive needed reforms, as well as helped with policies between the United States...
... middle of paper ...
...ck and female, the world suddenly takes notice.
“ There aren't too many females in this business, she was really an exception in this almost 100-percent-male crowd -- which may be one of the reasons she earned the reputation of being tough," said Sergei Rogov, director of the Russian Institute of U.S. and Canada Studies in Moscow, who has known Rice for nearly two decades.
Condoleeza Rice has been a member on the boards of directors for the Charles Schwab Corporation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Chevron Corporation, the University of Notre Dame, the International Advisory Council of J.P. Morgan and the San Francisco Board of Governors. She also has invested time working on various political books, such as “Germany Unified and Europe Transformed,” “The Gorbachev Era,” and “Uncertain Allegiance: The Soviet Union and the Czechoslovak Army.”
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- She is the first African-American woman to become the U.S. secretary of state, she an expert in foreign policy, and has worked with three U.S Presidents. One might argue that Condoleezza Rice is one of the most influential women politically and academically in American politics. Born in Birmingham, Alabama to Angelena Rice, a high school teacher, and John Rice Jr., a school guidance counselor and minister, Rice was always taught education was the key. Rice grew up surrounded by racism in the segregated South.... [tags: Biographical Paper, african american]
1524 words (4.4 pages)
- Dr. Condoleezza Rice was sworn in as Secretary of State on January 25, 2005. She is a clear example of a leader, which possesses certain traits that have led her to where she is today. In order to evaluate her as a leader, it is necessary to look at different aspects of her leadership. It is important to examine her personality traits and values, ethical challenges she will face, her candidacy, her leadership style, and her dark-side traits. The first way to evaluate her as a leader is to look at a detail description of what her personality and values are.... [tags: informative essay, politics]
3531 words (10.1 pages)
- Condoleezza Rice Not many people can add the position of National Security Advisor to their list of achievements, especially if those people are women. Condoleezza Rice, however, can place the accomplishment right up there with being a previous member of President Bush’s foreign-policy team, and tenured professor and provost in the political science department of the prestigious Stanford University. Rice is well known for her knowledge on Russian history and current events. After growing up in Birmingham, Alabama during a time of racial segregation, Rice soon went on to graduate from the University of Denver at the age of 19 (she skipped two grades), where she became an expert... [tags: Biography Biographies Essays]
759 words (2.2 pages)
- Condoleezza Rice At this point in time the name and image of Condoleezza Rice is commonplace among the majority of informed Americans. As the first female to serve as the National Security Advisor to the President of the United States, Dr. Rice was propelled even further into the spotlight following the attacks on America on September 11th 2001. I too, like most Americans, saw a lot more of Condi, as she is known by her many friends and colleagues, after September 11. Clearly she was intelligent and always remained calm and poised in the face of adversity and standing before the cameras.... [tags: Politics Political]
3363 words (9.6 pages)
- When one hears the title “Head off and Split,” it has pragmatic meanings. Nikki Finney fills the book with facts on womanhood, identity, and growth. Finney explains her life, sexual orientation, and more in Head off & Split. The title “Head Off & Split” is a phrase used when one goes to the fish market. When the fisherman cleans the fish; he then ask, “Head Off & Split.” Finney explains. Finney is from the South, therefore, every Friday was Fish Friday. The book opens up as whole fish, then it splits into three sections.... [tags: Poetry, Love, Condoleezza Rice, Woman]
1073 words (3.1 pages)
- “Prejudice and bigotry are brought down...by the sheer force of determination of individuals to succeed” stated Condoleezza Rice (“Condoleezza Rice>Quotes” 1). Her statement entirely portrays Sandra Day O’Connor. Despite her rural upbringings and sexist prejudice she faced, she was still able to become the first female Supreme Court Justice. Her major accomplishment resides in her ability to remain impartial and make decisive swing vote decisions in cases, which have immensely influenced the twentieth-century along with today’s twenty-first century society.... [tags: biography, rural areas, prejudice]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- Introduction I. When I say the words "Condoleezza Rice", some of you are wondering what it was that I just said. A. Some may think I'm speaking another language. B. Others may know that this is a person's name. II. When I first heard the name Condoleezza Rice, I didn't know who she was either. III. Today, I am here to tell you about Condoleezza Rice, our Secretary of State. IV. I will tell you about her childhood life, what she did before she became involved with politics, and how her political career started.... [tags: Biography Biographies Bio]
1061 words (3 pages)
- Rice Works to Keep Gaza Pullout on Track By BARRY SCHWEID, AP Diplomatic Writer 1 hour, 8 minutes ago WASHINGTON - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice scrambled her schedule Friday to add a trip to the Middle East designed to nurture Israel's promised withdrawal from Gaza and part of the West Bank despite a spate of terror attacks. ADVERTISEMENT With the pullout a month away, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said, "All the parties need to make the maximum effort to see that this disengagement process is a success." McCormack gave no precise date for Rice to meet with Israeli and Palestinian leaders, but the trip was tacked onto one to Africa she is expected to underta... [tags: essays research papers]
391 words (1.1 pages)
- This study is about the preferences on rice varieties. We want to know what most of the household women/men prefer, is it the brand, price, or quantity for choosing from a rich variety. This study is about the preferences on rice variety in terms of: outlet selection, purchasing frequency, preferred size packages, preferred rice attributes, purchase decision criteria of most people who purchase rice products. Consumers have their own preference, but we want to focus on housewives/career women/men since they are business oriented and they know more in choosing the right products.... [tags: rice, rice grain, bred, rice plants]
2310 words (6.6 pages)
- Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice Killing, kidnapping and battles, all parts of Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice. The main character, Lestat, is a well-known and flamboyant vampire. In Memnoch the Devil, Lestat is faced with a grim reality, causing his world to collapse around him. He learns throughout this book, about the world, and the divine forces that encircle the world’s existence. This book illustrates how Lestat’s morals, ignorance and understanding are greatly affected by outside forces. In the beginning of the book, Lestat, the quick and cunning vampire referred to as “the Brat Prince” by his followers stalks a wealthy artifact smuggler.... [tags: Anne Rice's Memnoch the Devil]
662 words (1.9 pages)