The Internet has always seemed like a completely separate world, very different from reality. There seemed to be so many endless possibilities. One is the new online dating craze, which has caught my attention a number of times. One rainy afternoon, curled up in a blanket at my computer chair, I decided to investigate it. I learned that as many of the baby-boomers start to become widowed or divorced, many are looking for mates, along with many others who are looking for companionship. With the new Internet-Age, many of these individuals turn to their computer to find someone. Online relationships are a growing phenomenon in the United States as well as internationally. After doing some research I could not develop an opinion on how I felt about this new trend. I found a group of specialists who had devoted some researching to it and I invited them over for dinner to find what their opinions were and why.
I wanted only the best, the most opinionated, and the most interested in the topic to come and join me for dinner. I wanted to ignite a conversation that would involve many different views about the subject. I decided on three people to invite to my feast. First, I chose Robin Eisner, who works for ABC, and has studied the effects of spending time on the Internet. Next, I chose Laura Koss-Feder, who had interviewed several online couples and understands some of the positive and negative attributes of online dating. I also invited Erica D. Rowell for her knowledge and the studies she has done on online dating.
About a week before they all came to dinner, I began to plan what I would make. After having talked to each of them several times on the telephone, I could tell they may de...
... middle of paper ...
...et them up on, but they often do not develop into anything. They are often surrounded by married couples and may not know a lot of single people, so dating can be very difficult. In their loneliness, they turn to the Internet for companionship. Many may go just to look for a friend, but often they might end up meeting someone they want to date (par. 3). I think this is great for older people since they are often wiser so they know who to trust and are more careful when disclosing information to people online. They know they cannot trust just anybody. Younger people, who have not dated much or have not experienced true love, might fall for the words of another online, and this cold lead to disastrous effects. I would not advise anybody my age to date online, but for some older people I think it might be a great way to meet people as long as they are careful.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- There is no way to eliminate internet dangers completely, but there are ways to significantly reduce them. People continuously lie on their online dating profiles to make themselves more attractive to others. With the security feature of background checks this problem would be eliminated. Jeffrey Marsalis was able to present himself online as a fireman, trauma surgeon, and even an astronaut; this would not be possible if all online dating websites provided background checks on his information (Peters).... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Online identity]
1297 words (3.7 pages)
- Briggs 1 J’Son Briggs Mrs. Suarez English 4 Summer Course July 19 2016 Online dating should not be a source Thesis : Online dating should not be something people resort to, because you can get catfished, the sites don 't even use reasonable ways to find a person’s “ match,” and it can just be too much on the average person who works and is maybe lonely. Some people look at it as a another job, Its work that is not even reasonable. Fake profiles are becoming very big when it comes to online dating.... [tags: Online dating service, EHarmony, Match.com]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- Dating, the starting point where two individuals look forward to a romance. Romance is the second stage where love begins, which will eventually lead to a marriage. The question is, where can it start. People are often looking for someone to date, but where they begin has many options. Online dating is one of many choices that allow us as people to experience one thing that many desire, a shot at love. As a Aziz Ansari, author of the book Modern Romance, points out, you can meet someone through a friend, or a family member, or even through work or church(pg 81).... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- Have you ever tried to date someone online before. In America, online dating is becoming popular, 66% of online daters have gone on a date with someone who they met online, and 23% of them have actually met their spouses. In “Online Dating Odds Getting Better”, Katherine P. Harvey describes the improvements of online dating services in matchmaking industry. More people are able to find their mate through online dating. Most of the profits made by dating companies come from online and mobile dating services provide a lot of creative services.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
917 words (2.6 pages)
- Outside World seems to suggest that online dating not only benefit in meeting partner, but also leads relationship to marriage in higher rate than offline couple. However, Paul Aditi explains that people who meet online may more likely to involve in dating and relationship than traditional meeting, but the breakup rate seems to be higher in online dating than relationship that met through offline. (Paul Aditi, 664) Society tendency wants us to believe that a set of love formula can guarantees successful relationship.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- Imagine a world without internet. There would be no emails, no Facebook, no eBay, amongst other things. Even a simple task as booking a flight or a hotel would have to be done over the phone. To think about it… life as we know it would just not be the same. This new day and age has brought us to a point where it’s possible to find virtually anything on the internet, even love. Yes, online dating has become the new revolutionary way of finding your soul mate (Houran, & Lange, 2004), and it is to no surprise since it’s easy, provides more options and is growing each and every day.... [tags: internet, online dating, ]
1197 words (3.4 pages)
- The dating world has evolved tremendously over the year, more now than ever with technology. Today Americans are increasingly looking for love online through online dating sites and mobile dating apps. Data from the Pew internet reveals that 15% of Americans have used online dating (Smith,2016). A recent study showed that 542 people married every day in U.S due to the famous online dating site eHarmony. On average, through eHarmony more than 1 million Non-married people said they were in faithful relationships with an eHarmony match.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
896 words (2.6 pages)
- Online Dating Sometime you should take a chance and try new things. Meeting new people, the traditional way is outdated. Now, everybody is trying these online websites. I personally try online dating, and it took me a lot of emails to find that one person that I would give my time to. Yes, I did find someone, but we are better off as friends than lovers. There are so many different types of online sites that you could choose from that fits your daily life. Online dating is the new generation of meeting new people, and most of these sites cost money, have daily communication, and the outcome can be good or bad.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, EHarmony]
779 words (2.2 pages)
- Online dating Introdution Online dating has gained popularity since 1995. After its inception, the service has been increasingly been used by different people. Both the young and the old people use the service in order to find partners. Online dating can be defined as the use of dating services such as websites and other portals in order to get a short-term or a long-term partner for romantic purposes. There are some relationships which have been started through the online dating services and they have been sustained while others have not lasted.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
864 words (2.5 pages)
- How to Stay Safe With Online Dating In recent years, online dating has become very popular with 1-in-5 Americans aged 25-34 years old using one or more of the many popular dating sites and apps, such as match.com, OkCupid, and PlentyOfFish. With the stigma of online dating gone, it’s turned out to be a great way to date, have fun, and potentially fall in love. However, online dating’s major drawcard is also it’s biggest flaw: you have no idea who the person you’re talking to really is. Romance scams are among the most common form of internet fraud, accounting for over $86 million dollars lost by Americans in 2014.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
3343 words (9.6 pages)