The debate of evolution and creationism has extended since the beginning of time. In fact, it is not even as simple as these two opposing views. Each person seems to have formed their own theory which has a unique list of beliefs and dimensions. This makes a complex and difficult task when trying to find agreement between each of these unique theories. However, many Christians are finding it necessary to discover an alternative to the extremist views of evolution and creationism.
An article on the world wide web entitled the "Theory of evolution vs. creation," summarizes the debate between evolution and creationism. According to this article, the controversy between these theories began because of two differing beliefs on the meaning of life. It states that, "Evolutionists use the scientific method which assumes that everything happens as a result of natural forces, not by the command of a deity. They will usually trace origins back to the `big bang.' And when skeptics ask what happened before the big bang, scientists may offer some guesses, but will usually admit that they don't know." On the other side of the debate, the creation scientists believe that, "God created the universe, including the earth and its life forms. And when scientific skeptics ask who created God, creationists will usually reply that God has always existed and was not created."(OCRT,1996) A battle between the two theories erupts because evolution and creationism delve deeply into philosophical and theological conceptions. More likely than not, the evolution and creationism debate is an issue of religion. On religious grounds such as these, science is not prepared or adept to resolve the exi...
... middle of paper ...
...tion Controversy. Boston, Massachusetts: Beacon Press.
Myers, Jesse. (1996). Biology Senior Seminar Student Papers: A Look at Scientific Creationism.
Wright, Richard T. (1989). Biology: Through the eyes of faith. New York, New York: HarperSanFrancisco.
Zabilka, Ivan L. (1992). Scientific Malpractice: The Creation/Evolution Debate. Lexington, KY: Bristol Books.
Zook, Marc E. (1987). Biology Senior Seminar Student Papers: Origins:A Collection of Thoughts.
What are Evolution and Creation Science? [Online] Available: www.religioustolerance.org/ev_evol.htm [November 1996]
History of the Conflict of Evolution vs. Creation Science. [Online] Available: www.religioustolerance.org/ev_hist.htm [November 1996]
Theory of Evolution vs. Creation Science. [Online] Available: www.religioustolerance.org/evolution.htm#menu [November 1996]
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... There is no human being that has lived that long to tell us that this is correct. The age of the Earth can’t be observed, we can only go as far back as history books will tell us, books written by people that lived in that age. On the other hand, you have creationism, which is intelligent design. There is no way to prove this either, if there is a designer, he/she has not yet come to Earth and proclaimed “I created the Earth!” This also is a theory, normally used by religions such as Christians, Muslims and Jews.... [tags: school, government, science]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- Creationism being taught in public schools is not right because there are many beliefs about how the earth was created. Many science teachers have different beliefs on this particular subject. Some believe it should not be taught in public schools but on one’s own time at home, church, or another place. Other science teachers think students should be taught all the believable theories about evolution and creationism. Some science teachers have gotten in trouble with the law by not obeying other laws regarding evolution and creationism.... [tags: Creationism ]
709 words (2 pages)
- Creation and Science We have all heard about the evolution vs. creation debate. Two sides opposing each other in fits of heated passion. One group believes that humans developed from monkeys, and the other group is a bunch of religious fanatics. Does this sound somewhat familiar. This is one of the most stereotypical views of the dispute, but is, unfortunately, how many people believe it to be. So what is it all about. What makes these groups (there are actually quite a few more than two) so determined to fight and try to win others over to their belief.... [tags: Religion Creationism Papers]
2519 words (7.2 pages)
- The Validity of Creationism and Evolution Abstract: This paper discusses the validity of both creation and evolution and examines whether they can interact with each other. Besides doing my own research, I have chosen to interview four people extensively involved in either Christianity or biology. I specifically picked interviewees who strongly supported either evolution or creation to get both sides of the issue. Two of the people were from United Christian Fellowship (UCF): Andrew Larratt-Smith, leader of UCF, and Ricardo Dawkins, UCF small group member.... [tags: Science Creationism Evolution Essays]
3549 words (10.1 pages)
- Where do we come from. The creation of the world has been told through many different stories, and from a variety of religions across the world. The argument between evolution and creation has been debated back and forth for years. So how do we know which claim is correct. Has all life evolved from simple bacteria to all the species that appear today, or did life on earth begin with God's creation of Adam from dust and his partner Eve from adam’s rib bone. As a child I grew up attending church every Sunday with my grandparents, attending bible school, and taught the ways of the Lord.... [tags: Creationism, Evolution]
1118 words (3.2 pages)
- The great debate of evolution vs. creationism has been ongoing for many years. Many like to generalize evolutionists as Atheists and creationists as Christians, but this generalization is false. There are countless scientists that are Christian, and there are also a lot of Christians that take the evolution side. In this research paper, I will contrast the ideas and arguments from both creationism and evolutionism and then take an educated side using my knowledge. I will try to be as unbiased as I can throughout the first section of the paper, and then move on to opinions based on facts on the last page.... [tags: Evolution vs. Creationism Essays]
1321 words (3.8 pages)
- The Issue of Teaching Creationism in Public Schools Introduction The issue of teaching creationism in the public schools has long been debated. Over the years, many different arguments have been made. First, creationists tried to have the teaching of evolution outlawed. This issue went to the Supreme Court in 1968, where in Epperson v. Arkansas the high court ruled against banning the teaching of evolution. Soon after this decision, creationists began to call for 'equal time', or the equal treatment of creation theory and evolution theory.... [tags: Creationism Education Religion Religious Essays]
1427 words (4.1 pages)
- “Life has no meaning. Jesus gives our life meaning, we must accept him to give meaning to our life. It futile to ask about the meaning of life when you are the answer.” ― Rob Geis Creationism and the study of evolution has been a controversial debate for decades now, leaving many people on one side or the other. Creationism argues that faith should take precedent over science, basing its beliefs on one book for guidance, the Bible. God created the earth and everything on it, taking six days.... [tags: Science vs Creationism]
3773 words (10.8 pages)
- Creationism - The Theory of Evolution is not Logical Genesis 1:1“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” This quote, taken from the Hebrew Bible describes the belief that religious Jews and Christians follow. These two religions think that man, the earth, and the rest of the universe were originally created instead of the theory of evolution. This view on the origin of the earth is unique, because it was the first religion to practice monotheism (belief in one God), and that God alone created the universe.... [tags: Biblical Creationism Bible]
492 words (1.4 pages)
- The relative age of the earth is not often seen as a topic of controversy. Much of the scientific data published in school textbooks and taught to students indicate an age on the order of billions of years. Radiometric dating, as well as geological rock studies, have been used as evidence to support such a large expanse of time. However, a small but determined minority, mostly composed of fundamentalist Christians, has been vehemently challenging this age. These so-called “creation-scientists” have disputed the evidence in support of a young earth.... [tags: Creationism Science Essays]
3034 words (8.7 pages)