Michael Jordan is the only athlete to have ever gained the middle name "Air" because of his unbelievable ability to soar through the sky before he smashes the ball through the rim. He has managed to defy all obstacles ever thrown his way within the sport of basketball, earning his reputation as the most competitive and determined player in the NBA. Over the span of Michael Jordan's 18 year long career in the NBA, he has enjoyed world wide attention and recognition as the ambassador of basketball. Jordan has influenced basketball players around the globe and, with his own shoes and clothing brand, along with his artistic way of handling himself on the court, has developed a style of his own within the sport. Michael Jordan can be considered the foremost leader of the enlightenment in the sport of basketball.
I myself am the owner of two pairs of Jordan shoes, which I consider to be my favorite shoes, although I certainly realize that Jordan's merchandise is way too expensive and I along with the rest of the basketball fanatics am being suckered in to paying large sums of money for an image. Ever since I started my journey as a basketball player, Michael Jordan has been an idol and a role model for me to follow in my quest to reach my own goals as an athlete. I have devoured all the information about this man I could possibly attain and have been inspired by his life as a basketball player as well as a role model off the court. Many people characterize Michael Jordan as a typical athlete, who was successful within his sport, but because of his personal flaws and his self-destructive competitiveness never managed to exceed the level of other very competent and well known athle...
... middle of paper ...
...el, Michael Jordan is a brand name."
Nieman Reports, Vol. 53 Issue3, p41.
Grimm, Mathiew. "Over Jordan." Brandweek, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p. 24.
Hirsch, Phil. "Should his Airness be a Cultural Icon?" http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/Field/1307/newspaper.html.
Lipsyte, Robert. Michael Jordan: A Life above the rim. New York, NY: Harper Collins,c1994.
"Michael Jordan." American Decades CD-ROM. Gale Research, 1998.
"Michael Jordan." Contemporary Black Biography, New York: Gale Group 1999.
"Michael Jordan." Encyclopedia of World Biography, 2nd ed. New York: Gale Research,1998.
"Jordan's Wife Juanita Files for Divorce." http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0107/1307442.html.
"Michael Jordan Foundation." http://www.delorisjordan.com/page/MJpage.html.Dec.1.
"Michael Jordan." Notable Black American Men. New York: Gale Research, 1998.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- At every level of basketball there are players that have shined on and off the court, this is true for two exceptional players like Michael Jordan and LeBron James. The debate over these two marvelous athletes and who is the better of the two, has divided sports fans since LeBron earned his first Finals Championship. For many years Michael Jordan has been seen as one of the greatest players to ever play the game of basketball. Michael Jordan was first drafted into the NBA by the Chicago Bulls as the third pick in the first round of the NBA draft of 1984, after finishing his college career at the University of North Carolina.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1147 words (3.3 pages)
- Many people who watch or play basketball always argue who is the best of all time, or which basketball player is better than the other. And the most two basketball players that get compared with each other is Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. Both of these two players are exciting to watch when they are on the basketball court. Taking a closer look into both of their careers you can see major similarities but you can also see where both of them have their different paths. Even though they both make the basketball world a better place the real question that needs to be answered is who is better.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- In 1981, Michael Jordan stepped foot on North Carolina’s campus as a top recruited freshman and was soon to be one of only four freshmen to ever earn a starting spot under Coach Dean Smith. The University of North Carolina was where Michael Jordan’s legacy started, and as of now, it will not end anytime soon. In his playing days, Michael was a second overall draft pick, Nike client, six-time NBA champ, six-time NBA finals MVP, five-time NBA MVP, and a fourteen-time all-star. After his playing days were over, Jordan’s impact on the game and on the fans never died.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- A Critical Analysis of Michael Jordan and the New Global Capitalism In the history of business, there has been a clear record of industry heads finding something or someone as a mainstay and bedrock for their respective companies or corporations; there is often a chief product that keeps many businesses afloat, even in the rough times. Apple found it's own in 2001 with the iPod. McDonald's has had the Big Mac since the late 1960s. Nike, however, found their goldmine in a person with Michael Jordan.... [tags: Michael Jordan Capitalism]
1080 words (3.1 pages)
- December 21, 1891- The birth of basketball. It has been changed from simply shooting a soccer ball into a peach basket to dunking a seven pound, leather ball into an iron rim. In the early years of the game, basketball was not as popular as other sports. In the 1985 NBA draft all this would change with the emergence of a 6'6" basketball phenomenon from Wilmington, North Carolina. Although going third in the draft, he recreated the game and is known as the best player to ever touch a basketball; he is Michael Jordan.... [tags: Basketball Michael Jordan]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- The 1970s were the most enigmatic years in the NBA’s first half century, best noted for its parity. According to many sports fans and critics, Michael Jordan is one of the most notoriously talented athletes of the twentieth and twenty-first century. His success and accomplishments on the basketball court helped to turn the spotlight towards the NBA during the eighties and nineties. Michael Jordan was born on February 17, 1963, in Brooklyn, New York (Michael Jordan). He was the fourth of five children born to James and Deloris Jordan.... [tags: basketball, player, court, sports]
841 words (2.4 pages)
- In Jim Naughton’s book Taking To The Air, the main character is Michael Jordan. The book is Jordan’s life and talents. Michael Jeffrey Jordan was born February 17, 1963, in Brooklyn, New York. He was the fourth child and the youngest of three boys. Michael Jordan is by any measure, the most popular athlete in America and perhaps the best-known figure in the world. I have chosen to use Maslow’s Theory of Hierarchy of Need to analysis Jordan’s personality. I will do my analysis by focusing on Jordan’s healthy personality, which is marked by his continued personal growth.... [tags: essays research papers]
1629 words (4.7 pages)
- JORDAN DOES IT ALL Everyone who reads the sports section of the daily news knows about Michael Jordan. Although the name is not uncommon, there is only one Michael Jordan. He is the fundamental sports hero that has not been plagued by scandal. Jordan appears on all kinds of commercials. Some of those commercials are for Nike, Wheaties cereal, Hanes underwear, Rayovac batteries, MCI phone company, Ball Park hot dogs, and the latest is for his own brand, Jordan. Michael is as big as an icon off the court as when he still played basketball.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1939 words (5.5 pages)
- Michael Jordan was one of five children born to James and Delores Jordan. He was born February 17, 1963 in Brooklyn. His parents felt that the streets of Brooklyn were unsafe to raise a young family. So instead of trying to endure the streets of Brooklyn, the Jordan family moved to Wilmington, North Carolina. Michael’s father, James, got a job in Wilmington as a mechanic and his mother Delores got a job as a teller at United Carolina Bank. Michael always had an eye for baseball. He played as an outfielder and as a pitcher.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- Michael is married, and he and his wife Juanita have 3 kids, named Jasmine, Jeffrey and Marcus. He has been on two Olympic Gold Medal teams. Once as a college player in 1984 and the second time on Dream Team I in 1992. Air Jordan, is one of the two most explosive dunkers of all-time, the other being Dr. J. He has won the Slam Dunk Contest Twice (1987 and 1988, competing previously in 1985), then basically retired from the competition. Michael dons a brand new pair of Air Jordans for each game, usually donating the pair after the game.... [tags: essays research papers]
578 words (1.7 pages)