It is difficult to escape the influence of technology on modern life. It lurks behind every door: the classroom, home, office, and store. There are many who are resistant to new technology, saying that technology causes harm to society. These claims are often made without the realization that technology also includes important and indispensable parts in their life such as writing and the tools for writing. Writing was one of the first technologies invented. Technology has now become so entrenched in the majority of cultures around the world that it is hard to imagine a life or society without writing. For those that maintain a majority of technology beyond writing is harmful, imagine the difficulty in writing without the help of other technologies, which includes pencils, paper, computers, printing presses, and a number of other technological aids.
In my project I attempted to write without the assistance of normal technologies that are often taken for granted. It proved a difficult undertaking. Before beginning to write I had to find something to write on. As I searched my house and yard I realized that technology-free materials are difficult to find. I eventually found a birch log by the fireplace, which was once used by Native Americans for the purpose of writing. After tearing off the bark, and shaking off the dirt I had my “paper.” The hardest part was still not over; I needed to find a replacement for the normal writing aid of a pencil or pen. I replaced ink with honey and traded a pen for a feather. My next step was the very slow process of streaking honey on the bark to form words. The honey was the same color as the birch and blended in with the wood. To f...
... middle of paper ...
...deas and knowledge. Also, it is essential to understand in order to succeed in school, find information, and qualify for most jobs. New technologies continue to be created. The wisest step is to embrace the new technologies since they are unlikely to go away. Those who have the most knowledge of new technologies are able to accomplish more, and find more options available to them in life.
Baron, Dennis. “From Pencils to Pixels: The Stages of Literary Technologies.” Writing Material. Ed. Evelyn Tribble. New York. 2003. 35- 52.
Ong, Walter. “Writing is a Technology that Restructures Thought.” Writing Material. Ed. Evelyn Tribble. New York. 2003. 315-335.
Tribble and Trubek. Writing Material. Ed. Evelyn Tribble. New York. 2003.
Twain, Mark. “The First Writing-Machines.” Writing Material. Ed. Evelyn Tribble. New York. 2003. 500-502.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Will humanity as we know it survive it 's obsession with advancing technology. Our expanding repertoire of increasingly advanced digital tools allows us to access and spread information around the world in real-time. Smartphones don 't just keep us constantly connected to the people in our lives, they grant us access to the whole of human knowledge via the internet. Computers have become so powerful and compact that most individuals in the modernized world are never without one; and in many cultures, they are the central means of communication, spreading information, and almost every other facet of modern life.... [tags: Globalization, Technology, Human, Evolution]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- ... Global Civil Society and Politics Generally, one of the main influences global civil society has in politics has been switching its structure from ‘the previous state-centric sovereign notion to a more multilayered and ‘partially privatized’ governance system’ (Scholte, 245). As a result, this switch has created new forms of citizenship and social identity because the state is no longer the dominate figure in politics. Global civil society’s influence on politics has established things like multilayered governance, privatized governance, and the creation of collective identities which in turn have an affect on accountability and democracy.... [tags: borders, transparency, government]
2653 words (7.6 pages)
- What Technology Brings To Us I have selected television as my technology subject because, on a global level, television has the greatest impact on the largest number of people of all the technologies available to us today. I have found that television has become widely distributed for many reasons, the most important being the fact that television sets have become more affordable over the years. There is also a desire by poor people in poor countries to have the same gadgets that are owned by the people in rich countries and only television can satisfy that need.... [tags: Television TV Essays]
2161 words (6.2 pages)
- The human race could be at risk. Observing the world and its inhabitants, this planet has proved to be a very dangerous place for the human being. We as a species, although not nearly as strong or as fast as most animals are, a brilliant, mechanically inclined race that has created and designed ways to make us the most dominating force on the planet. Our advancements in modern technology has grown to become a necessity. Ironically, modern technology although vital to the survival of men and women, through evident health risks, less jobs, and invasion of privacy may also become our specie’s very demise.... [tags: technology]
803 words (2.3 pages)
- Kidnapped by Technology The power of technology make people feel fantastic, but it can silently permeate and change people’s life. When we marvel achievements of technology, it appear all around us shortly. From the initial curious, through to accustomed, until the last inseparable. Traditional interpretation of technology seems closer to productivity, people seek creation on development. However, in modern life, people feel more about what influences is. Technology optimize or even subvert essential characteristics of hardware, let us to have new cognitions and habits of use.... [tags: modern technology, big net, outdoor activities]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- The influence of the computer technology is mainly manifested on the internet in daily lives. In the 20th century, mass media went through network improvements around the world. Information technology, digital and networked information communication has brought human free, convenience and interaction. The wide application of information technology improves the working efficiency. It not only helps individuals to get relaxed, but also extend the circle of friends; however, this can be problematic for some individuals as well.... [tags: Information technology, Technology]
1321 words (3.8 pages)
- Subject: Progress report on our final project of revolutionizing the Internet through our new wiring technology Introduction This progress report outlines the work completed, being worked on, and to be worked on for our final project in ENCE 3302. The project is compromised of two parts: a strategic plan and a team presentation of our proposed product. Our team was officially created on 2/9 after everyone in class finished giving their entrepreneurial presentations. Our team, which is Amir Ghadiry, John Forrest, Tyler Howard, and Brian Tannous, was decided because we all had a similar interest in the same entrepreneurial venture: a technology that would vastly improve upon the internet spee... [tags: Technology]
2385 words (6.8 pages)
- Whether or not we use technology too excessively is a hot debate. Today, many areas of society rely on technology to function. Studies have shown that incorporating technology in a classroom setting can vastly benefit the learning process of students. Technology has contributed to the development of mankind because it improves the way we live. Technology in communication, education, healthcare, transportation, banking, and households is very helpful and convenient because it makes our lives easier.... [tags: Technology, Education, Bank, Money]
1689 words (4.8 pages)
- Technology Today Technology today adds much advancement to our everyday lives. We drive fast cars. Talk on the phone, organizing meetings, and catching up with old friends, or the friend you are on your way to go see. The technology we use today has made us as a human race really reliant on how it makes our lives easier. Through much advancement in the technology and how it makes our lives easier, it also makes them more difficult. When something breaks we are unable to fix it, and have to take the object to go get fixed and it normally costs a lot more to fix a higher technology item.... [tags: Computers Technology]
710 words (2 pages)
- Technology: Friend or Foe. There are many differing opinions on the advancement of technology but there are really two main sides to the issue. One side is enthusiastic and ready for new progress and change, while the other side can see the value of technology but is more cautious and wary of the changes technology brings to society as a whole. These sides are simplified but useful for looking at the extreme ends of the issues in order to see the balance between the two. What is technology and why the fuss.... [tags: Argumentative Technology Essays Papers]
2237 words (6.4 pages)