Did you know that suicide is currently the third leading cause of death among teenagers in the United States? (4). In 1992, more teenagers and young adults died from suicide than those who died from stroke, cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, pneumonia, influenza and chronic lung disease combined (4).
Suicide is definitely a compelling problem amongst youth in the U.S today.
It is estimated that 300 to 400 teen suicides occur per year in Los Angeles County; which is equivalent to one teenager lost every day (1). Many concerned people ask, "What is going on?" and "Why is this happening?" Among many things, some suicidal youths experience family trouble, which leads them, to doubt their self-worth and make them feel unwanted, superfluous, and misunderstood. According to one study, 90 percent of suicidal teenagers believed their families did not understand them. Young people reported that when they tried to tell their parents about their feelings of unhappiness or failure, their mother and father denied or ignored their point of view (1). Suicide can be prevented; in fact, suicide prevention has saved over ten percent of teens who have tried to attempt suicide (1). In this paper I will prove that although, suicide is a serious epidemic amongst teens in the U.S., it can also be prevented.
"I'm depressed." You might say it casually to refer to sadness that engulfs you and then goes away. But depression is also a mental health illness that may require help from an experienced professional(1). Depression has been considered to be the leading cause of teen suicide in the 20th century, affecting approximately eight million teens in North America (2). Recen...
... middle of paper ...
While the above teen suicide facts are astounding, here are some positives about teen depression and suicide:
The number one cause of teen suicide is untreated depression.
Most suicidal teens respond positively to psychotherapy and medication.
Nearly 90 percent of depressed people benefit from medication.
Those contemplating suicide can be "talked out of it."
1)Teen depression homepage, a rich resource on how to prevent teen suicide
2)Teen depression homepage, a rich resource on causes of suicide.
3)Teen depression homepage, a personal story on teen suicide
4)Teen depression homepage, facts about suicide
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The third leading cause of death amongst teenagers: Suicide Did you know that suicide is currently the third leading cause of death among teenagers in the United States. (4). In 1992, more teenagers and young adults died from suicide than those who died from stroke, cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, pneumonia, influenza and chronic lung disease combined (4). Suicide is definitely a compelling problem amongst youth in the U.S today. It is estimated that 300 to 400 teen suicides occur per year in Los Angeles County; which is equivalent to one teenager lost every day (1).... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1184 words (3.4 pages)
- Suicide is the third-leading cause of death among 15 to 24-year-old (Green, Paragraph 1) Teenage suicide is the intentional act made by teenagers usually below the age of 19 to take their lives. Suicide is not thought of in a day. It is a series of processes that goes on in the mind before manifesting. Although, during these processes there are visible signs that shows a prospective suicidal person. There are factors that trigger and cause the act of suicide in a teenager. Most of these factors are usually the major causes but are not identified as one.... [tags: death, bullying, conflicts]
1103 words (3.2 pages)
- Introduction Teen depression is a serious condition that can be a devastating problem for both the child and parent. It is a disorder that reduces their moods thus causing loss of interest in things they should enjoy and make them irritable. In this literature review we are going to examine the use of antidepressants to treat teen depression. It will also look at the risks of suicides increased as a result of taking antidepressants and the measures taken to reduce this problem. Can antidepressants use in Teenagers increase suicide rates/thoughts.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- Since Teen Suicide is the second leading cause of teenage death in the United States, there is a need for legislation that promotes awareness and education about Cyber-Bullying. by R. Hassan February 8, 2011 Fourth Period Mr. Cicala Robinson Secondary School Since Teen suicide is the second leading cause of teenage death in the United States, there is a need for legislation that promotes awareness and education about Cyber-Bullying. Due to the growth of technology in the American society, the younger generations of adolescents are adapting to the excessive use of computers, cell phones, and social-networking sites.... [tags: bullying, teen suicide, technology, teenagers]
2406 words (6.9 pages)
- ... Would it make you so angry that you could just kill yourself. Teens all over the world are killing themselves because of family issues and bullying. There are also other reasons in many cases. Some kids feel depressed once in a while. Www.helpguide.org says that It’s important to make them feel better before it ends badly. There are also signs that they might try attempting to commit suicide. They might start to talk about suicide and death itself. If they start saying goodbye to everyone and giving them some of their possessions, that may be a big sign of suicide.... [tags: parents, keeping secrets, suicide]
624 words (1.8 pages)
- ... American reservations are among the poorest in the country. High unemployment rates, drug and or alcohol addiction and lack of education create conditions in the reservations much like Third World living. Indian children are more likely to be living in poverty than the general public and more likely to be living in a single-parent household. Moreover, in many households one or both parents are forced to seek employment outside the reservation, leaving the grandparents to assume the role of parenting.... [tags: pain and anguish, poverty, alcohol]
682 words (1.9 pages)
- Suicide Among Youth A suicide attempt is a non-fatal act in which an individual deliberately causes self- injury and should be recognized as a method of communication from a youth who may be experiencing severe problems. Canadian statistics from the Suicide Information and Education Center in 1996 recorded 25 000 attempted suicides and 250 successful suicides. 1 in every 100 people who try to commit suicide will die. Based on the 1996 statistics one can assume that these numbers have increased.... [tags: Suicide Teenagers Suicidal Essays]
1294 words (3.7 pages)
- Adolecsent Depression The suicide rate for adolescents has increased more than 200% over the last decade. Recent studies have shown that greater than 20% of adolescents in the general population have emotional problems and one-third of adolescents attending psychiatric clinics suffer from depression. The majority of teenage depressions can be managed successfully by the primary care physician with the support of the family, says Maurice Blackman MB, FRCPC. Depression has been considered to be the major psychiatric disease of the 20th century, affecting approximately eight million people in North America.... [tags: Suicide Teenagers Depressed Disorder Essays]
1549 words (4.4 pages)
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death in teenagers in the U.S. There are 157,000 teenagers that receive medical care for injuries that they have committed against themselves. Also, they say that boys are more likely to commit suicide than girls are. Girls would be more likely to report that they tried to commit suicide, before a boy would report it. They also say that 1.1 million adults attempted suicide each year, but 38,000 are actually dying, so some of the suicides are being prevented.... [tags: teenagers, death]
1260 words (3.6 pages)
- “Suicide on teenagers” Introduction Teenagers all around the world are having millions of suicidal thought running through their minds. Even if they have a happy childhood when they grow up and become adolescents, they can become suicidal.(Berman , 2006). There are several different factors that contribute to make a teenager think suicide is the only solution. Depression, bullying, lack of parent's attention are just some of many causes that lead to a teenager's suicide. In the United States suicide is the third cause of death in teenagers between 15-24 years old (Gould, 2004).... [tags: teenagers, psychological, preventions, treatments]
760 words (2.2 pages)