"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles." (11)
While 'male menopause' has provided both sexes a variety of jokes and frustration, there are researchers and scientists studying the alleged condition with great seriousness. Those who support the existence of male menopause feel strongly that its affects on the male mind and body should be regarded with the same credence that society attributes to the female menopause.
Male Menopause begins with declining testosterone levels and is eventually characterized by the following symptoms: hair loss, depression, a slower immune system, weight gain, less stamina for physical activity, forgetfulness, irritability, and loss of or reduced interest in sex. (5) Impotence may also occur. Usually this "change" arises between the ages of 40 and 55, although it has been known to transpire as early as 35 and as late as 65. (6) Several different clinical terms exist for the popularized term "male menopause" such as "andropause" or "viropause". (2) Andropause was named for the hormone "androgen" which is essentially testosterone. It is also the name of the therapy with which they treat a man suffering from male menopause. This treatment comes in the form of injection, skin patches or liquid gel. (5) In order to be diagnosed with male menopause, one must have reached the eligible age then endure a physical exam wherein blood samples will be taken. These samples are tested for hormone levels. If these blood samples demonstrate low levels of androgen and the patient seems to be suffering from the symptoms associated wit...
... middle of paper ...
7)Human Development Report, provides the average male life expectancy statistics for all countries
8)Human Development Report, provides the average female life expectancy statistics for all countries
9)ABC Science, short article by ABC questioning the reality of male menopause
10)ABC Interview, interview with Jed Diamond, author of Male Menopause, a 1998 best seller. who used to be a disbeleiver in male menopause but now firmly credits the possibility of a male 'change'
11)Women Joke Page, Male menopause joke
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Male Superiority In Math: Fact or Fiction. One true mystery of mathematics is the small number of female mathematicians. When most people think of mathematicians, they automatically assume that they are male. This leads to the idea that boys are mathematically superior to girls, which has long been a popular belief. Recent studies, however, may prove this to be wrong. The fact is that there are numerous female mathematicians who have made very important contributions to the mathematical world throughout history.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Papers]
1359 words (3.9 pages)
- Summarising the argument in the journal article Is she fact or is she fiction. Angela Carter and the enigma of women, Fernihough argues that gender is a performance, our ideas of masculinities and femininities become knowable through representations of them. The article states through performance we are able to break away from our sex/ gender dual notions which have become socially recognisable. Fevvers constitutes her identity through performance in which audiences are unable to distinguish between whether she is real or whether she is fake.... [tags: Article Analysis ]
934 words (2.7 pages)
- Question at Issue: Is Bigfoot simply a legend, or is it just an elusive freak of nature. Assertion: The existence of Sasquatch is highly possible Assumption: Because of the dense forests which are located in the Northwest region of the United States. Enthymeme: The existence of Sasquatch is plausible because of the dense forests which are located in the Northwestern region of the United States. Sasquatch: Fact or Fiction. Sasquatch is an unexplainable phenomenon that allegedly lives in the northwestern region of the United States.... [tags: bigfoot, dense forests, myth]
1570 words (4.5 pages)
- The warm summer breeze lifts your hair from the nape of your neck. The tree’s leafs rustle above your head, as you sit at the foot of their tree. The edge of the pages from your latest fiction novel flicker as you hold the page down to continue your viewing of the world their author has created for you to read. You smile when the protagonist has a small victory, cry when they fail, and even laugh out loud to the jokes they tell. You are in the world made up just for you; you are in a land of fiction.... [tags: Literary Analysis]
2446 words (7 pages)
- Introduction In this essay we present our research about the legend of William Tell and the conclusions of our research. In short the question we asked ourselves is: does the legend of William Tell contain truth or lies. Does it consist of facts or fiction. Before we tell the legend, we will describe the general historical context. After that, we will try to make a distinction between the facts and fiction in the legend. Finally, we want to show the impact William Tell had on the Swiss society. General historical context In the period until the Middle ages Switzerland was conquered by different dynasties and kingdoms.... [tags: Truth or Lies]
1886 words (5.4 pages)
- Halloween: Fact or Fiction This story starts on September the 18 2000 on a rather cool evening in Southend, I was walking down this road, and it was long and dark, (it reminded of Nelson Street on a freezing cold morning). I don't know how I came to be walking down this road but I knew I had to do it; it was if my life depended on it, it felt as if a strange force was controlling my every action. I was drawn to this house, it looked like any other house really but I had a feeling, there was something different about it.... [tags: Creative Writing Essays]
523 words (1.5 pages)
- Sexual Selection: Fact or Fiction Darwin's theory of sexual selection is an intriguing one because it offers an explanation of human striving and cultural value systems. The theory is that humans who are more sexually desirable will have more offspring and thus their traits will be passed on to future generations to a greater extent than those of less sexually desirable humans. As opposed to Darwin's other theory, natural selection, those who are the best adapted to their environment will be more likely to pass on their genes, or, "survival of the fittest", you might call sexual selection "survival of the sexiest." The theory is intended to in part explain why, when humans diverged from ot... [tags: Biology Essays Research Papers]
1997 words (5.7 pages)
- While popular and widely watched the movie Pocahontas is an innaccurate portrail of a signifigant historical event. The Disney Corporation is not known for it’s accurate portrails of historical events and when producing the animated film Pocahontas, Disney did not fail in it’s nonchalant attitude concerning historic fact. Cartoonists at disney must have been watching adult films when they first penciled out the figures of Pocahontas and John Smith. The young Indian princess was only twelve years old at the time of her first encounter with John Smith, yet she is portrayed as a hard body honey in her twenties.... [tags: essays research papers]
476 words (1.4 pages)
- Evolution: Fact or Fiction. One of the greatest questions of all time is: "Where the heck did we come from?" One of the most popular answers to this question is creationism, the idea that everything was created by a higher being. Another idea is evolution, the idea that all living organisms descended from a less complex organism. Up and coming in the last century, evolution possesses a new way of thinking that is being greatly accepted by the scientific community. Despite this fact many people argue that evolution has no facts to support it and there are several reasons why evolution can't happen.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
1434 words (4.1 pages)
- · Menopause is the time in a woman’s life when the function of the ovaries ceases. The ovary, or female gonad, is one of a pair of reproductive glands in women. · The process of menopause does not occur overnight, but rather is a gradual process. This so-called perimenopausal transition period is a different experience for each woman. · The average age of menopause onset is 51 years old. There is no single method to predict when a woman will experience menopause. · The age at which a woman starts having menstrual periods is not related to the age of menopause onset.... [tags: essays research papers]
2230 words (6.4 pages)