She kicks the tires. Not bad, maybe too clean, but we can fix that, she thinks. Ray is positively drooling. He scurries to the driver's side of the 4-door sedan and hops inside. In his enthusiasm, the slam of his door echoes across the high-ceilinged showroom and an unaccustomed frown grows on his face. "Did you hear that?" he demands of his wife, Diane, as she joins him on the passenger side. She stares back inquiringly, one brow lifted. "The door," he replies, as if explaining to a small child. When she still doesn't seem to comprehend him, he grumbles, "It just doesn't sound right is all."
A salesman's face appears at the window with an understanding smile. "Well, we have put more baffling in the panels, but I think you're referring to that very unmetallic thump. Would you like to see why?"
Disconcerted at discovering such an amiable attitude in response to his criticism, Ray's only response is "Huh?"
"If you'll just step over here, you can see for yourself," the dealer tosses over his shoulder. Puzzled, but curious, Ray and Diane join him where he is holding what looks like a door from a life-size model car. "How's your karate(? You're welcome to kick, punch, and even jump on it if you like, just give me a minute to get out of the way," he grins, clearly enjoying this part of his job.
Ray is already advancing toward the panel, but Diane hesitates, "What is it?"
"The exact same thing that you just heard on the coupe, without the paint of course. It's a composite, and sometimes commonly referred to as plastic, though when most people think of plastics, they usually think of Tupperware, not an exterior panel on a car. Go ahead, give it your best shot."
... middle of paper ...
...ile SMC for automotive body panels (Pub. No. 1-RC-18145) Toledo, Ohio: Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corporation.
7. Gabriele, Michael C. "At Ford, Green Light for SMC, Red for IM Body Panels". Plastics Technology. pp. 70-71, April, 1993.
8. Owens- Corning. "Design flexibility," (1996). [Online] Available: http://shango. proxicom.com:80/owens/composites/solutions/flexibility.html
9. Owens- Corning. "Dimensional stability," (1996). [Online] Available: http://shango. proxicom.com:80/owens/composites/solutions/stability.html
10. Owens- Corning. "Getting acquainted," (1995). [Online] Available: http://www6.proxima.com.80/owens/acquainted/does/glass/trans.html
11. Owens- Corning. "Introduction to composites," (1995). [Online] Available: http://shango.proxicom.com:80/owens/composites/about/intro.html
12. Saturn Corporation. Body Repair. Tennessee: Saturn, 1995.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Many people fall victim to these types of crimes, whether it is individuals or organisations and businesses, they all have a negative impact on those involved. There has been a total of 53,110 reported motor vehicles stolen in Australia in the past 12 months and out of those 42,345 were cars (Bath, 2016), it is fair to say that many personal and valuable items have been stolen in conjunction with the vehicle. Other studies have also shown the potential risk of theft or break-ins from simply parking on the street or within a driveway/carport (Popcenter.org, 2016).... [tags: Automobile, Vehicle, Vehicles, Motor vehicle]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- Numerical Study of Tensile Properties of POM/ Woven Kenaf Composite. CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background Study The geometry of woven fiber reinforced polymer like Polyoxymethylene (POM) and Woven Kenaf composite is quite complex. Therefore, to predict tensile properties of such composite requires numerical method. This project focuses on the use of The Laminator software and understanding the theories on Maximum Stress, Maximum Strain, Tsai-Hill, Hoffman, and Tsai-Wu failure to produces the required results.... [tags: woven fiber composite, geometry, ]
1555 words (4.4 pages)
- Pacific Panels Brochure 2010 Pacific Panels Inc. specializes in the production of stronger, lighter and more innovative sandwich panels for our customer’s architectural design applications. Our General Purpose Panels (GPP)—utilizing aluminum honeycomb, balsa and foam cores—have the advantage of superior flatness, lighter weight and unparalleled rigidity. The most common applications for our GPP sandwich panels are: - Architectural Interiors & Storefronts - Retail Stre Displays - Elevator Interiors - Signage & Billboards - Engineered Prototype, Automation & Tooling - Shipping Crates & Containers - Solar & Wind Energy, Infrastructure... [tags: Business Profile]
713 words (2 pages)
- In a composite material the constituents are arranged generally with the reinforcement phase embedded in the matrix phase. Due to a composite being essentially a mixture between the reinforcement phase and the matrix there is no intermolecular bonding between the two, however, as in the case of fibrous composites, the most mechanically efficient structure is a criss-crossed fibrous lattice suspended in a material matrix. In the case of particulate composites however, the reinforcement phase acts essentially to strengthen the matrix material adding support.... [tags: Scientific Research ]
996 words (2.8 pages)
- The word composite comes from the latin “composititus” meaning made up of distinct parts. A composite material is a material composed of two or more distinct materials, or constituents, with one constituent acting as the reinforcing phase and the other as the matrix. A composite material is defined by having different macroscopic behaviours, or chemical and physical properties then its constituent materials, and has a distinct interface boundary on the microscopic level. Structure of Composites In a composite material the constituents are arranged generally with the reinforcement phase embedded in the matrix phase.... [tags: Sturctures, Types, Mechanical Properties]
874 words (2.5 pages)
- ... They do not prefer to release control of all tasks and are neutral about releasing many tasks. Moreover, vehicle users want to release control on highways and they do prefer to use the systems on local roads. The length of the trip and congestion level does not contribute much to the willingness to release control. Familiarity of the road and not performing a secondary tasks contribute slightly to the willingness of vehicle users to release control. Some striking results can be observed. Firstly, the model with gender and age shows that males prefer to release control on dense roads, while female prefer this on open roads.... [tags: Automobile, Transport, Walking, Vehicle]
2060 words (5.9 pages)
- ... Legal action carried out by the company The production process of any given industry relies mainly on the legal framework of the state that allows the business to be conducted. The financial law that governs how far the organization will go operates under the protection of antitrust laws, bankruptcy and securities laws. An antitrust law ensures there is healthy and vigorous competition among the or within the company. It also protects the consumers from vices such as incompetency in business practices.... [tags: Business ethics, Ethics, Solar cell, Bankruptcy]
1918 words (5.5 pages)
- ... Further, recouping the added cost becomes especially difficult when gas prices are low. Second, fuel economy doesn’t always match real world numbers. Achieving 50 mpg with some hybrids is possible, such as with the Honda Accord Hybrid, but that’s only when weather conditions are favorable. In extreme conditions, such as during the winter, fuel economy numbers will drop. Hybrids are most efficient during mild weather, but not when it is hot. Third, battery degradation is a big concern. Whether you’re looking at purchasing a hybrid or an electric vehicle, the battery packs that supply power to the electric motors gradually degrades notes HybridCars.com.... [tags: Plug-in hybrid, Electric vehicle]
884 words (2.5 pages)
- Sound Deprivation in Advanced Composite Structures Since the invention of the radar in WWII there have been many attempts to hide war ships such as planes, boats, submarines, excetra. From radar and by doing this these war ships have had their designs changed so that they have given up aerodynamics all together and because of this ships have traded in speed and mobility for stealth until now. With the invention of the composite carbon fiber and glass reinforced laminates and polyurethane treatments ships from all categories are now utilizing this and other composite materials as a way to develop and manufacture advanced composite materials which are specified for a diverse range of appli... [tags: Papers]
1193 words (3.4 pages)
- Alternative Fuel Vehicles Slowly but surely our nations natural resources are running out. In the near future our fossil fuels that we use to power our lives will be gone. As the years pass research of alternative fuels is becoming more and more imperative. Most important of all in the research of alternative fuels is that of alternative fuel vehicles (AFV). More emphasis should be put on the development of alternative fuel vehicles, because as each year passes our fossil fuel reserves decrease, there are great environmental benefits, and there are great future cost reductions.... [tags: Cars Resources Vehicle Essays]
2293 words (6.6 pages)