Many believe the internet was an over night sensation, that one day, someone invented the internet and it spread in popularity faster than Tickle Me Elmo or the Macarena. Although the internet did have a surge of commercial popularity, with the invention of Mosaic and later with e-commerce, it was created many years ago with the development of military networking technologies. Also, the internet, unlike many pop culture fads of the nineties, will continue to see a growth in popularity and usefulness as a form of media throughout the information age. Sure, the internet became overambitious to the point where many internet start-up companies lost their businesses in the recession of the past few years. The quality of the internet, however, has increased as companies realize that there exists competition and smarter consumers that demand superiority. The internet has taken the world so far in its short commercial life; the future of the internet provides limitless possibilities of a much different future.
The internet was created to test new networking technologies developed to eventually aid the military. The Arpanet, advanced research projects agency network, became operational in 1968 after it was conceived by Leanard Roberts (Watrall, T101, 2/2). Ever since the Arpanet began in 1968, it grew exponentially in the number of connected users. Traffic and host population became too big for the network to maintain, due to the killer application known as email created in 1972. The outcry for a better way sparked the development of the NSFNet. The National Science Foundation Network replaced Arpanet, and ultimately had many positive effects. This early division of the internet spread its netw...
... middle of paper ...
...net advertisements continue to grow with the internet market.
The history of the internet takes us back to the pioneering of the network and the development of capable technologies. The explosion of the internet’s popularity of the 1990’s was large and dramatic, boosting our economy and then helped to bring it into a major recession. One can only hope that the explosion becomes organized and slightly standardized in the interest of the general public. Despite all of these conjectures and speculations only time can tell the future of the largest network in the world.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The History and Future of Computers and the Internet The early history of mechanical computers really began to take off in the mid 1940’s. Between 1943-1946 the first true general purpose electronic computer was made. Constructed at the University of Pennsylvania the computer was named the ENIAC (electronic numerical integrator and computer.) The ENIAC was developed by two important keystone species, John William Mauchly and J. Presper Eckert Jr. The ENIAC was absolutely humongous; it stood 10 feet tall and occupied 1,000 square feet of floor space.... [tags: Expository Essays Research Papers]
1401 words (4 pages)
- Creative Writing on the Internet has evolved from being mainly an educational tool used over a network realized by a limited number of people who had the technical knowledge to access the data, to a widespread phenomena including not only including educational purposes but also personal interests, hobbies, and private consumerism as current browser technology makes the Internet more user-friendly and easily approachable. Since the earliest days of the Internet some of the largest providers and gateways have been universities and colleges across the world (like the University of Minnesota and its Gopher program ); many of these educational facilities would offer information about... [tags: Technology and Writing]
1270 words (3.6 pages)
- The Internet Past Present and Future Introduction This report describes the history of the Internet. The report shows how the Internet was started and outlines the progress the Internet has made over the years. The World Just Got Smaller The Internet is not as new as you may think; today’s “information super highway” began as a bunch of converging footpaths in the 1960s. Many people credit the ARPAnet (the first computer network designed by the Advances Research Projects Agency) as the starting point of the Internet we all have come to know and love today, however this is not entirely true.... [tags: Internet History Web Cyberspace Essays]
2131 words (6.1 pages)
- The Internet is by far the most fascinating invention ever to me. Its ability to contain access to the infinite knowledge of nearly everything in digital format is beyond my comprehension. Seeing technology grow through my years has kept me heavily involved with my inner geek. I stay on top of the news, especially technology news, and over the past few years a topic that has repeatedly caught my eye is the complicated topic of Net Neutrality. I began my research on Net Neutrality by first figuring out where the term originated from and what the term actually means.... [tags: Internet]
1925 words (5.5 pages)
- Background The Net Generation is a popular term used to describe children born after the development of the Internet, a publicly available Global Communications Network. It was first used in 1998 by Donald Tapscott; a social commentator observing how young people were using new Internet technologies, such as the World Wide Web (WWW), with apparent ease and confidence. When the term first appeared, it was quickly circulated via the Internet and the attributes assigned to the Net Generation were rapidly adopted by the popular media.... [tags: internet]
603 words (1.7 pages)
- The Internet is an invention that revolutionized the century. It is a technology that has not only made accounting more efficient and effective, but arguably has improved most, if not all, of culture and commerce. It represents the product of one of the most successful examples of continued investment and research and development of information infrastructure. Not only has it helped shape accounting into what it is today, it will continue to develop accounting in the future. Although the exact date of origin of the Internet is not established, its history began with the development of electronic computers in the 1950s.... [tags: Technology, Kleinrock]
1515 words (4.3 pages)
- Introduction Internet history, security and technology are one of our generation technological advancement that influences and moving the world more in to a globalized system. From my own personal perspective, tried to state what the benefit of this development and what the potential negative that influence the world. What is advantages of internet technology. An internet history, security and technology has been about just twenty-year’s sins actively existed and become a popular. The internet technology and World Wide Web seems to have changed dramatically since then and money things has been changed around internet technology development, today it seems we simply run our business any p... [tags: IP address, Internet, History of the Internet]
831 words (2.4 pages)
- From the article, “The Internet” by the Pew Research Foundation, David Clark, a senior research scientist at MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence stated, “Devices will more and more have their own patterns of communication, their own ‘social networks’, which they use to share and aggregate information, and undertake automatic control and activation. More and more, humans will be in a world in which decisions are being made by an active set of cooperating devices.” Personally, I can see this already becoming a key part in technology, as more devices are developed, their awareness to their surroundings become more apparent.... [tags: Internet, History of the Internet, Computer]
1081 words (3.1 pages)
- INTERNET AND TECHNOLOGY ADDICTION IN TEENS Some activities done by teenagers are fun, and it becomes difficult for them to stop doing them. Addiction comes into play when the teens get the notion that they cannot live without the internet or even reduce the time they spend using the internet. Too much use of the web has negative impacts on social skills that are very crucial for future success in life. There has been a great concern by the parents and well-wishers on how to effectively control the use of the internet by the teenagers.... [tags: Addiction, Internet, History of the Internet]
2329 words (6.7 pages)
- The Internet The Internet and World Wide Web are commonly used words among people today. As a college student especially, the Web and Internet play a huge part of life. What is sometimes tough to realize though is the newness of the Internet and the Web. Because the two have become such a huge part of life, it is shocking to consider that the Internet itself has only been in existence for the past thirty years or so. It is important to understand the history of the Internet and the creation of the Web to better prepare for the future of the two and to ensure that the use of the resources is maximized, focused, and beneficial to all mankind.... [tags: Technology Computers Essays]
2717 words (7.8 pages)