I hear the complaints from my girlfriends all the time; men are clueless when it comes to planning and carrying out a good first date. Not to offend any men out there (well-intentioned though you may be), but it seems that some of you have no idea what to do, where to go, how to act, or what to wear on the first date.
I know this first-hand. I’ve had my share of bad dates—really bad dates. However, one date lives in infamy as the worst date I ever had.
My date (we’ll call him Bob to protect the not-so-innocent) arrived at my house dressed in dirty jeans and a T-shirt; I, on the other hand, was wearing a nice black pants-suit. When I asked him where we were going on our date, he replied, incredulous, "Oh. You want to go somewhere?" At this point, I probably should have sent the boy packing, but I replied, somewhat sarcastically, "Yes, that would be nice." I was thinking dinner, maybe a movie; what I got was a drive around our boring town which culminated in spending an hour on a deserted playground where he wanted to make out. When we finally arrived back at my place, he told me he had a great time and asked me if I wanted to go out again. I answered that I would "think about it," as I let the door shut quietly on his surprised face.
O.K. So perhaps Bob really did have a good time on the date, and maybe he believed I did too, but it left me with the impression that Bob-o was a cheapskate and an unoriginal one at that. So, if you want to know how to really impress a woman on your first date (and not make the same mistakes as Bob) read on.
You’ve asked her out, and she said YES! What do you do now?
Making the Plans
Call your date prior to the rendezvous, ...
... middle of paper ...
The Phone Call
Yes, I’ve seen the movie Swingers. And no you should not wait a whole week to call your date. If you really like this woman, call her the next day. As much as women like to play games, we don’t like to be on the receiving end of them. You will make the woman a nervous wreck waiting for your call. You will also seem too casual if you wait a long period of time to ring her up. Call for a quick chat, deep conversation, or heck, ask her out again. Thus, a woman will not have to analyze your feelings; they will be apparent. Please, though, don’t expect your date to call you; we are not programmed that way.
There you have it, the perfect first date. Now the rest is up to you. All these hints won’t amount to much if you are not your charming self. So be loose, have a good time, and let your personality show through. A second date can’t be far behind.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The first date is where both parties make a first impression on one another and it sets the tone for what kind of relationship will continue in the future. This first social exchange often determines whether the two parties will even continue communicating from here on out, or if communication will be abolished all together. In this day and age men and women are closer to equality then they have ever been within society. This includes the dating scene. Because of this change in the social status of women, the questions continues to be raised, which sex is responsible for what roles.... [tags: dating, relationship, first date]
669 words (1.9 pages)
- Cause Effect Essay - The Causes of Date Rape There is no one direct cause of date rape. Although there are usually three key elements involved, socialization, miscommunication, and/or changing sexual mores. In a general sense, traditional male and female roles in society are part of the problem. Men are taught at a very early age to be aggressors; they participate in aggressive team sports, are encouraged to be competitive, not to give up, to keep on trying. They are encouraged to have strong sexual feelings and to experiment with their sexual satisfaction as a part of their masculinity.... [tags: Expository Cause Effect Essays]
533 words (1.5 pages)
- Mary Wollstonecraft, who was born during the age of enlightenment in the 18th century, is one of the most prominent feminists in women’s history. Her book A Vindication of the Rights of Woman led her to become one of the first feminists, advocating for the rights of women. Born in a time where women’s education was neither prominent nor important, Wollstonecraft was raised with very little education. However, events in her life influenced her to begin writing, such as the way her father, Edward John Wollstonecraft treated her mother, “into a state of wearied servitude” (Kries,Steven)1.... [tags: Women's Rights ]
1444 words (4.1 pages)
- Third Trimester of Pregnancy A woman and her unborn child may go through many changes throughout pregnancy, leading to the change of routines, lifestyles, and the physiology of themselves. In the third trimester of pregnancy, the child will make the last of its developments as a fetus, preparing itself for the exiting of the womb as the due date approaches. The child itself is affected by everything and anything the mother does, so it’s extremely important (for the health of the child) for the mother to do a series of check ups, tests, and changes in living a more healthy life.... [tags: Pregnancy, Childbirth, Obstetrics]
1808 words (5.2 pages)
- For my liberating action, I decided to take my boyfriend out on a date for our fifth year anniversary. Growing up the women in my family always taught me that I was supposed to go out with a guy who had money and could take care of me. If he was poorer than I was he was not worth my time. As a child, I have seen men spoiling my mother and sister with things they wanted and I wanted that too. It is a pattern to see the women in my family depending on men for things like paying bills or buying food.... [tags: act, pay, date, man, fair, society]
514 words (1.5 pages)
- Introduction This book is intended to be a quick reference guide on how to maximize the safety of the pregnant woman and her unborn child while providing dental care. This book is a compilation of existing recommendations. It is not intended to alter the standard of care. My introduction to the treatment of pregnant women Early in life, I became aware of the fear and caution that can envelop healthcare practitioners when they are placed in a situation where they have to evaluate and treat a pregnant woman.... [tags: Pregnancy, Childbirth, Dentistry, Fetus]
703 words (2 pages)
- “The sexes are at war” according to Camille Paglia, author of “Rape: A Bigger Danger Then Feminists Know” (2). The number of date rape cases is on the rise, especially among college students. Paglia claims that the cause for this is women not being careful around men. However, feminist like Susan Jacoby, author of “Common Decency”, claims that is more of a social cause. According to research the causes are women not being self aware, the media and the leading cause being alcohol and drug use.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
1588 words (4.5 pages)
- Identity in Hurtson’s Their Eyes Were Watching God, Kingston’s Woman Warrior, and Spiegelman’s Maus Despite being a very diverse literature genre in terms of influence and inspiration, North American literature encompasses many works that share some very common thematic elements. Though there are several themes shared, one in particular can be found in most any work – the importance of identity. Particularly in some selected pieces yet to be named, identity is a very important element, not only because it is a necessity for a main character in any work of literature, but because these works express ideas about identity as being very individualistic – as opposed to being a mere result of cu... [tags: Their Eyes Were Watching God Essays]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- She grabbed some covers and pulled them over her legs, hoping to push off the ache she felt. She leaned against her pillows and thought about their conversation. Melanie was a go-go kind of person. She was always on the go, which is probably why she never had time to be lonely. She always had something to keep her busy. It wasn’t that Samantha wasn’t busy too, because she was. It was just those moments alone that quickly became lonelier. She remembered Melanie’s words about getting out of the house.... [tags: Creative Writing Essay]
1401 words (4 pages)
- Date rape is not a rare incident. Surveys indicate that in 84% of rape cases, the victim knows the attacker, and 57% of rapes occur on dates (Warshaw 11). However, what is even more surprising than these high statistics is that most incidents of date rape go unreported. Several theories exist that try to explain this phenomenon. For example, many women may refuse to believe that their “friend” raped them. In fact, they could eventually convince themselves that it never happened. Additionally, there is confusion following the attack in which memory and emotions become mixed up.... [tags: The Tragedy of Date Rape]
2293 words (6.6 pages)