As time progresses, so does the English language. We use many words out of context. But depending on the person, time, and maybe the location a new meaning may be adopted for any word. As well as actual definitions of words. Since 1913, when The Merriam- Webster dictionary was published, the meaning of the word private has changed, but not drastically.
Since the earliest publication of the three dictionaries, the use of private and its context has not changed much. There are not many different ways the word private can be used that would not be different from when the word was first published in dictionaries. Everyday conversations that include "private" have not evolved into anything major or unfamiliar .
There are many similarities in the definitions from the different variations of dictionaries used. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary published in 1913, The Shorter Oxford Dictionary, and The American Heritage Dictionary all have similar definitions of the word private, but there was one definition that caught my eye due to...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The word politics comes from the Greek, meaning the affairs of the city-state (polis). Even though we have changed our predominant form of governing and our way of life from the times of Socrates and Plato, politics remains a vital part of how we interact with the world around us. Keeping that in mind, defining politics has always been a hard task and with the evolution of political forms, ideologies and an ever-expanding definition of the word global most would argue that a universal definition of politics is impossible.... [tags: political science, philosophy, ideology]
1461 words (4.2 pages)
- Defining Ombudsman 1. A man who investigates complaints and mediates fair settlements, especially between aggrieved parties such as consumers or students and an institution or organization. 2. A government official, especially in Scandinavian countries, who investigates citizens' complaints against the government or its functionaries.” Later on, the word “ombuds” has been defined by the www.answers.com , as “commissioner, agent”, derived from the Old Norse umbodh, “charge, commission, administration be delegacy.” Ombudsmanship is a Swedish concept, as in 1809 the office of riksdag... [tags: Definition Ombud Ombudsman]
751 words (2.1 pages)
- Dreams of Trespass: Defining the Frontier In Fatima Mernissi’s widely acclaimed book Dreams of Trespass, the storyline weaves around the tale of a young girls’ life in a traditional Moroccan harem that is as much enchanting as it is disparaging. As we follow the young girl from day to day and experience all the little trivialities of her life, we notice that she is quite a precocious little child. She is constantly questioning, in fact, her mother and aunts constantly tell her that she should stop asking questions all the time.... [tags: Fatima Mernissi Arab Culture Marriage Essays]
3708 words (10.6 pages)
- Defining Prostitution Prostitution is a word which applies to far more circumstances than its' usual legal definition which is about prohibiting massive "whoring". I have a very simple way of defining prostitution: Prostitution is when you do something for money that you wouldn't be doing without being paid. You will find under this definition that there are quite a few whores who are not prostitutes, for they actually love what they do, and would continue to engage in promiscuous sex even without the monetary reward.... [tags: Papers]
1018 words (2.9 pages)
- Definition Essay - The Word 'Private' Private is a word with a multitude of meanings, some known and others not so known. When searched for in a dictionary, it can be found that the definitions don't vary much between the three dictionaries, although the dictionary from 1913 had a few dissimilar terms. The word private was looked up in Webster Dictionary from 1913, The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition, and the Oxford English Dictionary: Second Edition. Many people think of private as meaning something in solitude, or secretive.... [tags: Definition Essays]
563 words (1.6 pages)
- The Definition of Private Anyone who has ever received one of those pesky telemarketer phone calls during dinner most likely understands the idea of a private phone number. No one likes to have their phone line invaded by paid phone operators who just want your money. Working long and hard on a group presentation regarding technology threatening/improving privacy, one can realize that the word private has several different connotations and meanings. Yet, when generally facing the word, it usually means the opposite of public.... [tags: Definition Essays]
537 words (1.5 pages)
- Definition Essay - The Meaning of Private Freedom and confinement, contradictory as they seem, are both integrated into the description of what it means to be private. The meaning of private is even further dual in nature when interpreted personally or in community contexts. On a smaller scale, individual people classify private as an expected amenity, intended to be a confined to oneself. On the other hand, communities perceive private as the quality of being independent or free from any public organization or institution. In reference to dictionary definition, there is a dual understanding and common usage of the word private, each derived from the context in which it is used, either... [tags: Definition Essays]
454 words (1.3 pages)
- Definition Essay- Defining Service Being raised in a Christian faith and family, you’re likely to hear the word “service” quite a bit. Not ever truly being interested in the denotation of this word, I always referred to the church holding services, in which were usually, programs that contain dedicated members of the church. Oxford American Dictionary says describes it as “a meeting of a congregation for worship of God, a religious ceremony. Religion being such a sensitive issue for many people, and because there are so many opinions concerning it out there, connotations for words frequently used in it are not widely talked about.... [tags: Definition Essays]
480 words (1.4 pages)
- Definition Essay – Defining Community How would someone define the word community? A community could be anything. If one were to listen to an everyday conservation, the word community, would probably be used very little. The word community has multiple meanings, ranging from communist or socialistic society (Emerson) to the quality of appertaining to or being held by all in common (Oxford). Due to the many meanings of the word community, people have learned to substitute community for other words. Most of the definitions are common has in a society linked by common interests but, would you really say a buffalo community? Of course not, you would say a herd of buffalo. Unfortunately,... [tags: Definition Essays]
444 words (1.3 pages)
- Definition Essay- The Evolved Meaning of Private The word private has changed very much over the past 600 years. When the word first originated it had a few concise meanings. Today, the word private has plenty of definitions, some of which many people do not know. For instance, it is interesting to learn that private means "apart from the state" or "a person not receiving treatment under the National Health Service or any similar state scheme" (Landau). Spending time looking through dictionaries helps to gain a much better understanding of a word many think they know very well.... [tags: Definition Essays]
654 words (1.9 pages)