Anyone who has ever received one of those pesky telemarketer phone calls during dinner most likely understands the idea of a private phone number. No one likes to have their phone line invaded by paid phone operators who just want your money. Working long and hard on a group presentation regarding technology threatening/improving privacy, one can realize that the word private has several different connotations and meanings. Yet, when generally facing the word, it usually means the opposite of public.
Looking at An American Dictionary of the English Language, private is noted as something unconnected with others, and even sequestered from company or observation. Therefore, this could be something that was taken away, or just something that stands unaccompanied. The word private is often linked to the word alone. A private beach house, for example, is located in an area on the beach where no one else resides.
While these definitions further distinguish things which are private from those which are public, Dictionary.com explains private as something...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Definition Essay - The Meaning of Private Freedom and confinement, contradictory as they seem, are both integrated into the description of what it means to be private. The meaning of private is even further dual in nature when interpreted personally or in community contexts. On a smaller scale, individual people classify private as an expected amenity, intended to be a confined to oneself. On the other hand, communities perceive private as the quality of being independent or free from any public organization or institution. In reference to dictionary definition, there is a dual understanding and common usage of the word private, each derived from the context in which it is used, either... [tags: Definition Essays]
454 words (1.3 pages)
- Definition Essay - The Word 'Private' Private is a word with a multitude of meanings, some known and others not so known. When searched for in a dictionary, it can be found that the definitions don't vary much between the three dictionaries, although the dictionary from 1913 had a few dissimilar terms. The word private was looked up in Webster Dictionary from 1913, The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition, and the Oxford English Dictionary: Second Edition. Many people think of private as meaning something in solitude, or secretive.... [tags: Definition Essays]
563 words (1.6 pages)
- Definition Essay – Defining the Word Private As time progresses, so does the English language. We use many words out of context. But depending on the person, time, and maybe the location a new meaning may be adopted for any word. As well as actual definitions of words. Since 1913, when The Merriam- Webster dictionary was published, the meaning of the word private has changed, but not drastically. Since the earliest publication of the three dictionaries, the use of private and its context has not changed much. There are not many different ways the word private can be used that would not be different from when the word was first published in dictionaries. Everyday conversations that in... [tags: Definition Essays]
479 words (1.4 pages)
- Definition Essay- The Evolved Meaning of Private The word private has changed very much over the past 600 years. When the word first originated it had a few concise meanings. Today, the word private has plenty of definitions, some of which many people do not know. For instance, it is interesting to learn that private means "apart from the state" or "a person not receiving treatment under the National Health Service or any similar state scheme" (Landau). Spending time looking through dictionaries helps to gain a much better understanding of a word many think they know very well.... [tags: Definition Essays]
654 words (1.9 pages)
- Definition Essay – Different Meanings of Private “Property is a central economic institution of any society, and private property is the central institution of a free society.” This was a quote by David Friedman (Friedman). The word dealt with in this essay is ‘private’ and this quote exactly examines one of the prime meanings of private. The main aim of my essay is to explain the different meanings of the word private and to explain the significance and variations of its usage over the past decades.... [tags: Definition Essays]
648 words (1.9 pages)
- Interpreting the Meaning of Private Hearing the word private, one could think of infinite meanings and uses. Some people think, for their own safety, certain people should not be private. Others believe it is their human right to have privacy, because it defines oneself. The dictionary-defined term of private has had subtle changes through the past 300 years. In the past three years, the definition of private in the US has changed to very little meaning, granting an even more important reason to find the true definition.... [tags: Definition Essays]
538 words (1.5 pages)
- Definition of Terms Before we begin we must first understand the different definitions of proprietary and contract security operations. There are many definitions and explanations that are used to distinguish between the two but I will use the definitions provided by Fischer, in his book titled Introduction to Security. “Proprietary security operations are those that are “in-house,” or controlled entirely by the company establishing security for its operations” Fischer, Robert; Halibozek, Edward; Walters, David (2012-11-23).... [tags: Private Security Contractors]
4403 words (12.6 pages)
- This study aims to know the different benefits that Private Accounting can give. The expected results for this study are the knowledge of the Accountancy students about the benefits of Private Accounting. Moreover, the factors affecting the career paths of these students are also expected. This study is not only useful for the researchers but also for the respondents for them to gain a better understanding of their course and Private Accounting. This study is intended to find the benefits of Private Accounting and its effects on the career paths of Accountancy students of De La Salle Lipa.... [tags: accountancy students, de la salle lipa, CPA]
1776 words (5.1 pages)
- 1.0 INTRODUCTION This paper first discusses the issue of Absenteeism in a Private Care Home which cares for five people with Learning Disabilities. Secondly, it looks at SSM, Cognitive Mapping and SODA I as appropriate methodologies for analysing the problem of Absenteeism why SODA I using Cognitive Mapping is best recommended. Thirdly, a Model is built using Individual Cognitive maps which are then merged to form a strategic map which is action oriented. Fourthly, limitations of the Model are discussed.... [tags: Private Care Learning Disabilities Health]
3039 words (8.7 pages)
- The Private Choice Think of all the notable people you may consider as highly educated. If you look deep enough, chances are you can find out about their education, which is often private. Why do some people prefer a private education. What even classifies as a private school. One definition given by the Encyclopedia of American Education is “in modern American education, any school not operated or directly funded by a governmental agency” (793); these include religious, non-sectarian, military, postgraduate, and special education schools.... [tags: Education Schooling Essays]
1571 words (4.5 pages)