“Property is a central economic institution of any society, and private property is the central institution of a free society.” This was a quote by David Friedman (Friedman). The word dealt with in this essay is ‘private’ and this quote exactly examines one of the prime meanings of private. The main aim of my essay is to explain the different meanings of the word private and to explain the significance and variations of its usage over the past decades.
My research regarding the meaning of the word private was accounted from three dictionaries. The three dictionaries that have been selected are - Webster’s New World dictionary of the American language (1961), Webster – An American dictionary of the English language(1844) and Oxford English Dictionary (1989) According to all these dictionaries private had three differentiable meanings. The first one was - of concerning a particular person or a group, not general for example private property, a private joke or view etc, and also in other words not open to the public or controlled...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Definition of Private Anyone who has ever received one of those pesky telemarketer phone calls during dinner most likely understands the idea of a private phone number. No one likes to have their phone line invaded by paid phone operators who just want your money. Working long and hard on a group presentation regarding technology threatening/improving privacy, one can realize that the word private has several different connotations and meanings. Yet, when generally facing the word, it usually means the opposite of public.... [tags: Definition Essays]
537 words (1.5 pages)
- Definition Essay - The Word 'Private' Private is a word with a multitude of meanings, some known and others not so known. When searched for in a dictionary, it can be found that the definitions don't vary much between the three dictionaries, although the dictionary from 1913 had a few dissimilar terms. The word private was looked up in Webster Dictionary from 1913, The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition, and the Oxford English Dictionary: Second Edition. Many people think of private as meaning something in solitude, or secretive.... [tags: Definition Essays]
563 words (1.6 pages)
- Definition Essay- The Evolved Meaning of Private The word private has changed very much over the past 600 years. When the word first originated it had a few concise meanings. Today, the word private has plenty of definitions, some of which many people do not know. For instance, it is interesting to learn that private means "apart from the state" or "a person not receiving treatment under the National Health Service or any similar state scheme" (Landau). Spending time looking through dictionaries helps to gain a much better understanding of a word many think they know very well.... [tags: Definition Essays]
654 words (1.9 pages)
- This essay will explore the notion of freedom and attempt to shed light on various explanations on what freedom is. Narrowly speaking, the plain and ordinary definition of freedom is ‘the absence of restraint,’ but how this definition is applied is much harder to clarify and encompasses a wide range of ideas. This essay will attempt to highlight some of these ideas by focusing mainly on the theories of Isaiah Berlin and his two different concepts of freedom, including negative and positive freedom.... [tags: isaiah berlin, law, restriction]
1665 words (4.8 pages)
- This chapter will critically examine the difficulties in defining what it means to be corrupt and in particular to be politically corrupt in the UK. These definitions will be examined as to their effectiveness in explaining what corruption is and whether the difficulties identified have contributed to how corruption is viewed by some politicians and government officials. There will always also be an examination as to why it appears that the definitions of corruption are trying to capture the essence of this phenomenon by defining it by using just a few words; which can lead in some cases to what could be an over-simplification or complication of the definition of corruption.... [tags: Bribery, Political corruption, Definition, Fraud]
1926 words (5.5 pages)
- Definition Essay - The Meaning of Private Freedom and confinement, contradictory as they seem, are both integrated into the description of what it means to be private. The meaning of private is even further dual in nature when interpreted personally or in community contexts. On a smaller scale, individual people classify private as an expected amenity, intended to be a confined to oneself. On the other hand, communities perceive private as the quality of being independent or free from any public organization or institution. In reference to dictionary definition, there is a dual understanding and common usage of the word private, each derived from the context in which it is used, either... [tags: Definition Essays]
454 words (1.3 pages)
- Definition Essay - The Many Meanings of Community Community is a common tool of the English language to categorize people and put unique individuals into a single group. However, what is the real meaning of community? Community can be used as a noun or an adjective and it has a plethora of meanings in the dictionary. The Oxford English Dictionary defined the word community in two pages worth of different meanings. The earlier definitions (from the 17th century) defined community as “the quality of appertaining to or being held by all in common; joint or common ownership, tenure, liability” and a “common character, quality in common, commonness, agreement, identity.” Then in the later... [tags: Definition Essays]
547 words (1.6 pages)
- Definition Essay – Defining the Word Private As time progresses, so does the English language. We use many words out of context. But depending on the person, time, and maybe the location a new meaning may be adopted for any word. As well as actual definitions of words. Since 1913, when The Merriam- Webster dictionary was published, the meaning of the word private has changed, but not drastically. Since the earliest publication of the three dictionaries, the use of private and its context has not changed much. There are not many different ways the word private can be used that would not be different from when the word was first published in dictionaries. Everyday conversations that in... [tags: Definition Essays]
479 words (1.4 pages)
- Interpreting the Meaning of Private Hearing the word private, one could think of infinite meanings and uses. Some people think, for their own safety, certain people should not be private. Others believe it is their human right to have privacy, because it defines oneself. The dictionary-defined term of private has had subtle changes through the past 300 years. In the past three years, the definition of private in the US has changed to very little meaning, granting an even more important reason to find the true definition.... [tags: Definition Essays]
538 words (1.5 pages)
- The Meaning of Courage In life there are many terms that are relative to individual cultures. That means that the definition is different depending on the culture's location and its persons believe. The definition for one such term, courage, as defined by both Daniel Webster and Funk & Wagnalls is "That quality of mind or spirit enabling one to meet danger or difficulties/ opposition with firmness/fearlessness." The words that make courage a relative term are danger and opposition. The definitions of those words are what determine if a person or an act is considered to be foolhardy, courageous, or cowardice.... [tags: Expository Definition Essays]
661 words (1.9 pages)