The word private has changed very much over the past 600 years. When the word first originated it had a few concise meanings. Today, the word private has plenty of definitions, some of which many people do not know. For instance, it is interesting to learn that private means "apart from the state" or "a person not receiving treatment under the National Health Service or any similar state scheme" (Landau). Spending time looking through dictionaries helps to gain a much better understanding of a word many think they know very well.
The various dictionaries containing private states it as meaning "seclusion, apart from the public body, a soldier with rank below corporal, etc." which are the meanings that are previously understood. Many of the dictionaries have several definitions that seem similar. Modern definitions often say the same thing, such as "intimate, confidential, confined to one person, peculiar to a particular person, and property of a particular individual" (Simpson). Before examining the definition if this wo...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Definition Essay – Defining the Word Private As time progresses, so does the English language. We use many words out of context. But depending on the person, time, and maybe the location a new meaning may be adopted for any word. As well as actual definitions of words. Since 1913, when The Merriam- Webster dictionary was published, the meaning of the word private has changed, but not drastically. Since the earliest publication of the three dictionaries, the use of private and its context has not changed much. There are not many different ways the word private can be used that would not be different from when the word was first published in dictionaries. Everyday conversations that in... [tags: Definition Essays]
479 words (1.4 pages)
- Definition Essay - The Meaning of Private Freedom and confinement, contradictory as they seem, are both integrated into the description of what it means to be private. The meaning of private is even further dual in nature when interpreted personally or in community contexts. On a smaller scale, individual people classify private as an expected amenity, intended to be a confined to oneself. On the other hand, communities perceive private as the quality of being independent or free from any public organization or institution. In reference to dictionary definition, there is a dual understanding and common usage of the word private, each derived from the context in which it is used, either... [tags: Definition Essays]
454 words (1.3 pages)
- Definition Essay- The Evolved Definition of Community The definition provided in The American College Dictionary from 1964 says “a group of men or women leading a common life according to a rule.” I never really viewed community in this manner. Many of us think of the word “community” as a group of people who live near each other. We forget that a community is actually just a group of people with common interests or characteristics who often happen to live near each other. Communities can be bound by race, religion, economic standings, political standings, and most commonly, location.... [tags: Definition Essays]
507 words (1.4 pages)
- Definition Essay – Different Meanings of Private “Property is a central economic institution of any society, and private property is the central institution of a free society.” This was a quote by David Friedman (Friedman). The word dealt with in this essay is ‘private’ and this quote exactly examines one of the prime meanings of private. The main aim of my essay is to explain the different meanings of the word private and to explain the significance and variations of its usage over the past decades.... [tags: Definition Essays]
648 words (1.9 pages)
- The Definition of Private Anyone who has ever received one of those pesky telemarketer phone calls during dinner most likely understands the idea of a private phone number. No one likes to have their phone line invaded by paid phone operators who just want your money. Working long and hard on a group presentation regarding technology threatening/improving privacy, one can realize that the word private has several different connotations and meanings. Yet, when generally facing the word, it usually means the opposite of public.... [tags: Definition Essays]
537 words (1.5 pages)
- Definition Essay - The Word 'Private' Private is a word with a multitude of meanings, some known and others not so known. When searched for in a dictionary, it can be found that the definitions don't vary much between the three dictionaries, although the dictionary from 1913 had a few dissimilar terms. The word private was looked up in Webster Dictionary from 1913, The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition, and the Oxford English Dictionary: Second Edition. Many people think of private as meaning something in solitude, or secretive.... [tags: Definition Essays]
563 words (1.6 pages)
- Interpreting the Meaning of Private Hearing the word private, one could think of infinite meanings and uses. Some people think, for their own safety, certain people should not be private. Others believe it is their human right to have privacy, because it defines oneself. The dictionary-defined term of private has had subtle changes through the past 300 years. In the past three years, the definition of private in the US has changed to very little meaning, granting an even more important reason to find the true definition.... [tags: Definition Essays]
538 words (1.5 pages)
- Hegemony - The True Meaning Hegemony was derived from the Greek word "egemonia," meaning leader or ruler, often in the sense of a state other than his own (Williams 144). Although the base of this definition remains true, the word has evolved to much more. Hegemony is defined by Fontana Dictionary of Modern Thought as "Political and economical control exercised by a dominant class, and its success in projecting its own way of seeing the world, human and social relationships as 'common sense' and part of the natural order by those who are, in fact, subordinated to it." Hegemony is defined as a predominant influence or leadership of a dominant class or institution over a subord... [tags: Expository Definition Essays]
581 words (1.7 pages)
- The Evolved Meaning of Individuality The word “individual” holds an important place in today’s society. If asked the meaning of the word “individual,” a randomly chosen person would confidently reply, “ an individual is one person.” Compared to the modern definition, the person would be correct. According to the most recent meaning of “individual”, as defined in the Oxford English Dictionary , is “of, pertaining or peculiar to, a single person or thing, or some one member of a class” ( OED individual 5a).... [tags: Individual Society Papers]
2710 words (7.7 pages)
- The Meaning of Courage In life there are many terms that are relative to individual cultures. That means that the definition is different depending on the culture's location and its persons believe. The definition for one such term, courage, as defined by both Daniel Webster and Funk & Wagnalls is "That quality of mind or spirit enabling one to meet danger or difficulties/ opposition with firmness/fearlessness." The words that make courage a relative term are danger and opposition. The definitions of those words are what determine if a person or an act is considered to be foolhardy, courageous, or cowardice.... [tags: Expository Definition Essays]
661 words (1.9 pages)