Thank you Ralph for that introduction – I must say that you are looking a great deal better tonight than when I last saw you after Polly’s 21st in the morning at our home. That was not a pretty sight.
Ladies and Gentlemen I am delighted to welcome you here tonight to celebrate the Marriage of Polly and Justin. I know that many of you have travelled many thousands of Kilometres to be here with us, and I welcome you and thank you for being here. I know Polly and Justin greatly appreciate your presence and your sacrifice.
As I look around the room I look and realize what dear friends we have, and I hope you have a really wonderful evening. Although this Marriage has brought us together tonight, I am reminded of what Billy Connelly said of Marriage:
“Marriage is a wonderful invention, but then again so is a bicycle repair kit.”
LOVE AND RELATIONSHIPS
Because this is my speech, I can say whatever I like, and I would like to reflect for a few moments on love and relationships.
This day ushers in the beginning of a wonderful new phase in lives of this couple. Perhaps the wisest thing anyone has ever said to me about marriage and love is this: love is a decision.
On the surface it sounds a fairly clinical and unromantic assessment, but if you think about it a little deeper you will realize that there is truth in these words.
... middle of paper ...
...on which this whole day has been built. In my life she has made me very happy, and I must take this opportunity to thank her not only for her enduring and mostly patient love, but also for planning and executing such a wonderful day as today.
When I look back over the many wonderful years of my marriage, I envy Polly and Justin as they embark on one of life’s most exciting, and “interesting” journeys.
It is now my very great privilege to propose a toast to my daughter and new son-in-law.
Could you all please stand and with all the very best wishes, raise your glasses to Polly and Justin, as we wish them the greatest health and happiness for their future life together.
TO POLLY AND JUSTIN!
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A Heartfelt Wedding Speech by the Father of the Groom There is a small amount of humor at the beginning and toward the end of the speech, but it is the sentiment that makes it special. The speech ends with some advice for the bride and groom, which is touching, and a toast in the form of a poem. The happy couple, reverend celebrant, dear guests. The first wedding speech I ever gave was in 1958 when I married the groom's mother. Oh, I was in love. I remember clearly what a great feeling courtship gave me.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
959 words (2.7 pages)
- Wedding Speech Delivered by the Groom Before I start I have to ask... Do you like my outfit?... you see, I asked the tailor for Versace... but he thought I said "Liberace". Ladies, Gentlemen, Friends, Relatives and any stray pedestrians who may have wandered in. On behalf of my wife and I... or as I prefer to call her "my most recent ex-girlfriend", welcome to our wedding. I hope you're all enjoying yourselves on this special day. Its great to see you all and I can honestly say it would have been rubbish without you.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
930 words (2.7 pages)
- Groom's Wedding Speech - Humorous, but Not Offensive Ladies and gentlemen, you are about to witness a unique event in history - the very first and last time that my wife is going to let me speak on behalf of both of us. It is a privilege and an honor to do so. I just hope that, so soon into our married life, I don't let her down. Today has so far been a day beyond my wildest dreams. As a child, dreaming of my wedding day, I never dared imagine that I would end up marrying someone so intelligent, so witty, so popular, so gorgeous, and so altogether fantastic...... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
1633 words (4.7 pages)
- Father of the Bride Wedding Speech Welcome, everyone. I believe, that as father of the bride, it is my dubious privilege to make the first speech, so, here's one I prepared earlier. I would like to start by saying what a pleasure it is to welcome, on this very happy occasion all relatives and friends of both families. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank especially my wife for not only being tolerant but more importantly an outstanding mother and the guiding influence in the upbringing of our daughter, culminating in today's celebrations.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
744 words (2.1 pages)
- Sentimental and Humorous Speech by the Father of the Bride Ladies and gentlemen, it is my very pleasant duty to welcome you here this evening to this special occasion of celebrating this marriage. I'm sure that you will all agree on how radiant and gorgeous the bride is. However the groom is not too bad himself. I know that some of you have traveled quite a distance to be with us here tonight, from both overseas and interstate. We really thank you and welcome you here tonight and hope that you really do enjoy yourselves accordingly.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- Wedding Speech from the Father of the Bride Thank you for that welcome, I haven’t had applause like that since Frank’s bachelor party in Angels lap dancing club. Ladies and Gentlemen, for those of you who don’t know me I’m Mike, Claire’s Dad and on behalf of my wife Angela and I, I would like to welcome you all here today to celebrate the marriage of our daughter Claire to Frank I would like to welcome Frank’s Mum, Margaret, partner Don, sister Helen and husband Simon as well as all our relatives and friends.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
1257 words (3.6 pages)
- Sentimental Wedding Speech from the Father of the Bride This speech uses quotes that are skillfully woven into his more personal message, which is a good way of adding humor and providing the speaker with material that is neither offensive or dull. He also includes several jokes that are popular in wedding speeches, but has given his own twist on them to add originality Ladies and gentlemen, may I start my speech by welcoming the guests. Today, we are surrounded by most of the friends and family that have been important to us during our lives.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
969 words (2.8 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech from the Father of the Bride Well, good afternoon everyone, for those of you that don?t know me my name is Lee and I?m Janie?s dad, and in keeping with tradition, it is my honor and privilege to deliver the ?Father of the Bride Speech?. Having to make this speech is one of the few opportunities in a married man?s life when he is allowed to do all of the talking...and I intend to make the most of it. Now, giving a speech can be a little stressful so I will put into practice what I preach, that is...always remember the ABC to the XYZ of public speaking.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
1466 words (4.2 pages)
- Touching Wedding Speech from the Father of the Bride (to the crowd) As Father of the Bride, I am honored to be the first to speak this evening. I would like to begin by welcoming each and every one of you on this joyous occasion. It is good to see so many friends and family here today to help celebrate Paula and Manson’s wedding. I would also like to remember those who have meant so much to our family, but could not be here today. (to Manson) At this time, I would like to take this opportunity to formally and wholeheartedly welcome Manson into our family.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
472 words (1.3 pages)
- Father of the Bride Speech with Humor, Sentiment, and Love (Stand up, mobile phone in hand)” Well thank you vicar it is a bit inconvenient at the moment I am just about to start the speeches." I’m afraid there's been a bit of a hiccup in the proceedings; the vicar has just phoned to say that we have to do the registry signing all over again. It appears that the groom’s pen wouldn’t work so he borrowed the vicar’s. He was still having problems so the vicar said. "Put your weight on it”(To the bride) I’m afraid that you are now Mrs.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
987 words (2.8 pages)