As James 2:26 tells us, faith without works is dead - part of living the Christian life is obeying God. God has given us many commands in His Word. Not only are there specific commands for all Christians, but God also promises to give Christians His Holy Spirit to guide us not only through various difficult experiences in our lives, but additionally in following God’s will.
God has commanded that everyone love Him first and foremost, above all things. He is our reason for living; only His Grace can and does save us from Hell. Second in importance to loving God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, is loving your neighbor as yourself. These two commandments, or “calls” are the ones to which I have failed to respond properly the most. I am constantly putting other things before God. Whether it’s because I get “too busy” or have “more important” things to do, putting other things before my relationship with God is wrong and I do it far too often. As far as loving my neighbor as myself, there’s no way I could say that. I have a hard enough time loving my own family as I should, let alone all the rest of the world.
Another command God has given to all Christians is to “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.” (Mark 16:15) Although I haven’t gone to any other country to share the gospel, I have done a few things to answer this call (but not nearly enough – there are hundreds of lost people I’m around every day of school to whom I rarely formally witness). I have attended SEMP (Students Equipped to Minister to Peers), where I learned about evangelizing, specifically, to my friends. In addition, we went out on the streets of Chicago a few days and witnessed...
... middle of paper ...
...guing Christianity these days. God has used the ability to write (that He gave me) and my skill with computers (which He also gave me – "Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above" - James 1:17, including all our talents) to write the newsletter and to set up a web site for it, so God can use it to touch people throughout the world. All these things I’ve done for God are nothing compared to what He did for me. Without Him, I’d be as lost as any unbeliever out there. I have only accomplished these things because of God’s work in me, and I hope that all Christians remember that without God’s work in their lives, His Word is foolishness (Ephesians 1). As a “loud voice of a great multitude in heaven” in Revelation 19:1 says, “Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God.” Praise be to God for what He has done and has yet to do in my life.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Personal Narrative- Converting to Judaism One day in grade five, I decided to find myself. Most people are not "lost" when they are eleven years old, but in my own naïve, inexperienced world, I needed a change. My teacher was the indirect cause of this awakening. She was Jewish and opened our closed WASP-y minds to a whole new world of Judaism. We explored the Jewish holidays, learned about the Holocaust, and watched Fiddler on the Roof. This brief yet fascinating view into the world of another religion captured my attention and compelled me to investigate further.... [tags: Personal Narrative Writing]
886 words (2.5 pages)
- Who Is God To Me- Personal Narrative "Who Is God To Me" God means many different things to many different people. There are a lot of people who believe that there is no such thing as a God. There are people who believe that there is no God because no one has ever seen him. I personally believe that there is a God because of my faith. I have faith in God and I feel that God is real. I have many reasons why I believe in God and who God is to me. But I have three reasons that stand out for me about who God is to me.... [tags: Papers]
357 words (1 pages)
- Sleeping with the Enemy When I fall asleep in public, Alex informs everyone that "Bryan likes to pay money to go to sleep." His words don't stray far from the truth. I am convinced that I am afflicted, cursed, by something. I am haunted by the constant threat of unconsciousness. Glancing behind me, I see nothing, but sense the shadow that lurks. He is never very far, waiting patiently for me to drop my guard. We are very close, my shadow and I, and we know all of each others' tricks. A continuing match of wits takes place every time I step into a living room, a movie theater, a library, an automobile.... [tags: Personal Narrative Writing]
1761 words (5 pages)
- The traditional human existence encounters immense and miniscule transformations in predominant viewpoints directly affecting subsequent proceedings as individuals embark upon an expedition of lucid self-expression to explore personal identity. Literary pieces produced during times of revolution to gain equality and flourishing cultural advancement as artistic innovations, primarily in the Harlem Renaissance, communicates deliberately the liberation of the individuals frequently portrayed as characters.... [tags: Their Eyes Were Watching God]
785 words (2.2 pages)
- I will tell you a tale of a woman of great success. This is a woman that has inspired me to be something great one day and to never give up trying. Though she may be growing into her elderly years she has lived a very challenging, joyful, loving and successful life. She is a woman of great faith and character, she is my grandmother. Mary Imogene Cothren was born in Lawrenceburg Tennessee, November 12, 1929 to George and Chapel Cothren. Her family then relocated to a small town in Ohio by the name of Ashland.... [tags: essay about myself, Personal Experience]
1311 words (3.7 pages)
- Adoption - Personal Narrative My mother was all I had in this world. It has been two weeks and I still refuse to believe she has gone. During my mothers last few weeks, her face totally changed; cancer is such a terrible disease. Why did she have to leave me to cope with all this on my own. It is so messy. Apparently there was a big secret that I would find out. A short while before she passed away, my mother said that I had to read her will and I would find out what it was. Couldn't be half as bad as she was making it out I thought.... [tags: Papers]
648 words (1.9 pages)
- Dear Journal- Personal Narrative (Absolute & Relative Location) Day 1 – August 2, 2005. I’ve arrived in Australia this morning. What a flight. It took me 11 hours, and I feel like sleeping but it’s only mid-day. The time zone difference is at its max with Australia being 19 hours ahead of Vancouver. Geez, it’s going to take me all week to get over this jet lag. Not only is the time backwards, but also when you flush the water spins the opposite way, makes me feel sorta homesick.... [tags: Papers]
1531 words (4.4 pages)
- The Hardship of My Life- Personal Narrative As I was on the PJC bus to an out of town game, I had some free time to think. Lately, I have had in the back of my mind several troubling areas, so I know that this moment was the time to take care of these situations. If I could overcome certain problems, I would be more successful in the future. First, I have to get over the sudden death of my father. The day I found out my father was killed in an accident while he was on his job, I felt as if my life was over.... [tags: Papers]
510 words (1.5 pages)
- Learning the Hard Way- Personal Narrative We live our lives working in order to achieve peace within ourselves, a sense of accomplishment and happiness. The experiences and relationships that we develop along the way help to make us who we are. Weather they are good or bad, we like to believe that knowledge is gained from the people we meet and the decisions made. I have heard it said that it is suppose to be the journey that is truly important in our lives, not the destination.... [tags: Papers]
532 words (1.5 pages)
- My First Love-Personal Narrative I once jumped off a two-story building just to prove how much I adored a girl. At the early age of eight, I have to admit that I was already a kid full of hormones. I have always known that I am attracted to the opposite sex. I love being around them, but I was always too shy to express my feelings towards them. Sandra was the kind of girl that any guy would fall in love with the minut he laid his eyes on her. Like a goddess, she had long silky hair, big sparkling eyes, and the most luscious lips.... [tags: Papers]
499 words (1.4 pages)