One can love a sister, a brother, a mother, a father, grandparents, uncles and aunts, cousins and friends, strangers, pets, the sunlight on a warm evening, reflecting through a prism, held by fishing line stuck to a little suction cup to a dusty window. You can love food from cake to roast beef, even those tiny individual candy bars that are never enough but just give you a taste of chocolate before you pop in the second one. One is able to love the feeling of carpet between toes or the tension in a hammocks string when you lay in that 'u' position swinging delightfully with each motion of your body. We can declare love for sounds coming from a stereo, love for that particular sound wave in coordination with other sound waves that make it to the inner ear as that thing we call music. Some of us love to feel a little pain, love feeling that edge of life that lets us know we're alive, nerves tingling with the sensation that something is not quite right, mind ablaze with the knowledge that the power to commit more pain or to stop it is in grasp. One might love a particular spot in the world, a city, a hill, a nook, a field of sunflowers swaying in the breeze. From flying an airplane at sound-breaking speeds or laying near comatose, the only movement the flipping of pages and the flitting of eyes as words are dragged into a brain to organize, recognize, and realize their meaning in correlation to each other. Love is all around us, continually exuding from ourself and others. When what someone does not love is near, or when it's something they hate, we are quick to learn it. The disgust in the face as a lump of food falls out of the mouth that tried something new or something forgotten. The shying away from a cer...
... middle of paper ...
... anyone . . . then love must simply be everything else. For one, a scritch of fingernails across green blackboard is a loathsome, marrow scraping experience. For another, the drunken footsteps upon a staircase pounding higher and higher, closer and closer to the bedroom door. Maybe being touched on the nose or those little prickly seeds that hold on like velcro to anything they touch. At the same time another could love those little spiky balls, or enjoy owning drunken feet, the world a blur with head so heavy. Love is so ready to include that anyone is hard-pressed to find something the world excludes and places in a bin called "hate."
So I ask you to love, to experience this feeling throughout every nerve of your body, every electric-impulse of a brain cell, every beat of your heart and blink of the eye.
Because that's what love is to me. Simply everything.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Definition of Love Love by definition is an emotion explored in philosophy, religion, and literature, often as either romantic love, the fraternal love of others, or the love of God based on the definition found in The Encarta Encyclopedia. As I explored the definition by means of the Internet, books, and articles I noticed the definitions changed quite a bit, but yet had the same basic understanding. The definition I found in The Encarta Encyclopedia was probably the most simple and most basic.... [tags: Definition Essays Love Godly Romantic Essays]
1038 words (3 pages)
- ... In terms of diversity, there are all types of currency with different values and exchange rates giving us value wherever we go. In general, the meaning of value can be interpreted in multiple ways. Meaning is taught to us as having a connection outside the restrictions of value that attach to somebody. Nozick asks us to question the meaning of life since our existence in this world is limited till death which is the final phase of our existence. We wonder why certain belongings have so much meaning and not so much in terms of value.... [tags: value, meaning, definitions, reality]
1423 words (4.1 pages)
- "I wanna love you and treat you right; I wanna love you every day and every night: We'll be together with a roof right over our heads; We'll share the shelter of my single bed; We'll share the same room, yeah. - for Jah provide the bread. Is this love - is this love - is this love - Is this love that I'm feelin'?"--- Bob Marley. Bob Marley wrote and sang about love just like hundreds of people before him. His idea of true love was sharing with someone in order to meet the basic needs and spiritual way of life.... [tags: essay on love]
1332 words (3.8 pages)
- The Meaning of Love Love has many different meanings to different people. For a child, love is what he or she feels for his mommy and daddy. To teenage boy, love is what he should feel for his girlfriend of the moment, only because she says she loves him. But as we get older and "wiser," love becomes more and more confusing. Along with poets and philosophers, people have been trying to answer that age-old question for centuries: What is love. One definition of love in The Merriam-Webster dictionary is "attraction based on sexual desire" (439).... [tags: Papers]
706 words (2 pages)
- As dictionaries have been adding new words and revising definitions yearly, we have seen a transition in the definition of love. Today, a commonly accepted definition of love is “an amorous episode” (Webster). This concept of love began with its portrayal in Hollywood media, causing the history and true meaning of the word to become lost. While love used to be defined as the “strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties,” or “affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests” (Webster), the most recent definition is most similar to what it seems Hollywood is portraying as infatuation.... [tags: Original Concept, Media, Infatuation]
1387 words (4 pages)
- Defining Freedom - Definition By Experience “Freedom” is a very difficult term to define with a short, simple statement. It is loaded with so much meaning because every person has a different set of personal experiences and ideas that can apply to their own concept of what experiencing freedom is all about. In defining freedom, it is best to start with a wide array of different ideas and put them together to create one major explanation that encompasses all the ideas. The Oxford English Dictionary offers several short definitions that can be used to build one ultimate definition.... [tags: Definition Essays]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- Love, Love, Love. We all think about it, dream about it, sing about it, and even lose sleep worrying about it, but why. Love is such a small word paired with a vital meaning. It’s universal, easy to spell, difficult to define, but impossible to live without. When we don’t have it, we search for it, when we find it, we don’t know what to do with it, when we have it, we fear losing it. Love is the constant source of happiness and sorrow. I am young and I haven't a clue as to what love is, let alone what falling in love is.... [tags: definition essay, defining love]
649 words (1.9 pages)
- Can Love be Defined. The other day I was babysitting my three-year-old niece, a most conniving little angel. As she sat gawking at my girlfriend's brother, Matthew, who was eating potato chips, she told me that she loved me "so much." She had already devoured her potato chips, but she obviously wanted more. Many more expressions of love proceeded to drip from her lips. Finally, the question came; "Reg, can I have some more chips?" At first, I thought this little show of bribery was cute and funny, but then I started to think about the true meaning of love.... [tags: Expository Definition Essays]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- Do you know someone rich and famous. Is that person confident, popular, and joyful all of the time—the epitome of mainstream success. Or, on the other hand, is the person stressed, having second thoughts about his life choices, and unsure about the meaning of his life. I am willing to bet that it is the second one. Mainstream marketing and media have effectively brainwashed our society into accepting a false, even potentially dangerous definition of success. Marketers want us to believe that having lots of money, living in a big house, and owning all of the latest cars, fashions, and technology is the key to happiness, and hence, success.... [tags: Definition Essays 2014]
1410 words (4 pages)
- Friendship is the most wonderful relationship that anyone can have. Ideally a friend is a person who offers love and respect and will never leave or betray us. Friends can tell harsh truths when they must be told. There are four different types of friends: True friends, Convenient friends, Special interest friends, and historical friends. To have friendship is to have comfort. In times of crisis and depression, a friend is there to calm us and to help lift up our spirits. There are many illustrations that show why a friend can be a great comforter.... [tags: Definition Essays Friendship Essay]
869 words (2.5 pages)