"A Worn Path," by Eudora Welty is a heartbreaking story about the heroic trip of an old African American woman, Phoenix. The readers won't find out right away the plot of the story or why Phoenix won't give up her exhausting trip to town-the conflict of this story-especially on a very cold day. The title, "A Worn Path," indicates that Phoenix has obviously walked down this path many times before-also the fact that she can cross a creek with her eyes closed confirms the title's message.
Her trip is full of obstacles, from bushes of thorns that get caught in her dress, to her crossing of a creek. These elements complicate the conflict and increase the readers' curiosity about the plot. Phoenix can't trust her eyes, choosing instead to walk along with her eyes closed and sense her way with the help of her cane. While needed rest forces her to stop for a while, she has a vision of a little boy handing her a slice of marble cake. So many questions arise in the minds of the readers. Who was the little boy? Is she halluci...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Character of Phoenix Jackson in Eudora Welty's A Worn Path 'A Worn Path' is the tale of the unstoppable love and care of a grandmother for her grandchild. Phoenix Jackson is Eudora Welty's main character and protagonist in A Worn Path.. Phoenix is an old, frail woman who attempts to proceed on a long and treacherous journey through the woods to Natchez. Phoenix strives forward despite frequent obstacles in her way that include her own failing health and her grandchild's slim chance of survival.... [tags: Worn Path essays Welty]
1360 words (3.9 pages)
- Symbolism is commonly used to provide imagery and detail to an object. It gives the reader a deeper understanding of what is going on. In football, animals, colors, and flag are used as symbols. For instance, animals and colors are used to show where the team is from and what their mascot is. Flags are used to give penalties to either team, and when a flag is thrown on the field, the crowd automatically knows that there has been a penalty. Colors in football usually go along with where the team is from.... [tags: town of natchez, phoenix]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- In the story “A Worn Path” uses a continuous number of literary techniques and there is an overflow of symbolism. In the story everything symbolizes an object symbolism is when an object in the story can relate to something. Symbolism is a literary technique that adds meaning to a story by using an event or object as a symbol to represent something else. Phoenix Jackson represents the most important thing in the story the ancient Egyptian bird the Phoenix. The story “A Worn Path” takes place in December 1941.... [tags: natchez, phoenix jackson, circle of life]
1098 words (3.1 pages)
- Symbolism is a characteristic that stands out in a person or thing. People usually use symbolism for something that means to them or represents to them. The symbols are used for many things, for example the apple on the iphone, laptop or iPod symbolizes the brand. Symbols are also used in churches, for example the cross symbolizes Jesus Christ. It symbolizes how he was crucified, put to death on a cross. The colors symbolize something’s to for example the colors white, red and blue symbolize freedom in the United States, it also represents the United States flag.... [tags: phoenix jackson, thorn bush, the white hunters]
1294 words (3.7 pages)
- Everyday people encounter challenges that stand in their way of achieving their goals, but with sheer determination most accomplish their mission. In the short story “A Worn Path” written by Eudora Welty, Phoenix Jackson, the main character, has a mission to complete while confronting many challenges. One way to convey this idea is with the literary use of theme. The theme of a literary work is defined as the central idea, concern or message about life that an author wishes to convey to his/her readers.... [tags: Determination, Worn Path, Eudora Welty, ]
659 words (1.9 pages)
- The symbols of the story is most commonly about racism because the path represents the slavery path when black folks escaped from their owners and most of all their hiding place so they wont find them . Also the woods represents they same symbols as the path because they ran through there in order to lose their own owners. In this story of “A Worn Path” is about a grown up woman who goes into town to get her grandson some medication. Phoenix risks her life by walking in the empty woods through path she already knows very well but that path is a symbol having to do with slavery because back in the days slaves escaped through the woods and would get away from the white peop... [tags: symbols, slavery, phoenix jackson]
996 words (2.8 pages)
- When using symbolism in a story, in a movie or in life in general it helps you understand the meaning of it and lets you get deep inside the topic for a better understanding. Symbolism is a person place or thing that can be interpreted in a different way. A example of symbolism can be related to the religious world. Many people see a tiny edible piece as just another item to eat, but Catholics that attend church see it as a religious piece that symbolizes the body of Christ. You will also see symbolism when you see a navy blue star or when you see a eagle face, a football fan may look at that star as The Dallas Cowboys Team and the eagles head as the Philadelphia Eagles Team.... [tags: scarecrow, phoenix jackson, marble cake]
1548 words (4.4 pages)
- Using symbolism can take your story to a whole new level by showing us how each character feels in additional it can make a person or even an objects stand out a whole lot more. In Eudora Welty they used symbolism in many different ways that you can even notice them right away. In Eudora Welty ‘A Worn Path’ is a short story where symbols are found everywhere throughout many places where you read. This short story is about an old woman named Phoenix Jackson whom was a black African American that was compared to a mythical Arabian bird, and actually that bird lived up to five centuries in desserts and after living those five centuries it would burn up; and then from those same ashes it would... [tags: phoenix jackson, marble cake, birds]
1803 words (5.2 pages)
- In the short story “A Worn Path” the author uses symbolism through the short story, symbolism is the use of symbols to represent ideas or qualities. Symbolism is the part of the story that is not so literal, it’s the part of the story where you have to use your mind to find it, sometimes it can be really difficult to but most of the time it is really easy. In some stories there’s a lot of them but in some there not many. Like in our short story, A Worn Path by Eudora Welty there is a lot of them.... [tags: phoenix jackson, mythical bird, thorn bush]
1341 words (3.8 pages)
- In the short story ‘a worn path’ by Eudora Welty she uses symbolism to describe many of the characters and objects that are given in the short story. Symbolism is to use symbols to represent ideas and qualities. In ‘a worn path’ Eudora does so she uses manifolds of characters and objects to express the way the story is being told in her own way. As doing so she helps the reader understand it more sufficiently and to show that what is going on is still happening today. In the short story ‘a worn pass’ by Eudora Welty she uses several of characters for specific reasons and various objects as well.The short story tells use about an old lady name phoenix Jackson she is a blind elderly women and... [tags: phoenix jackson, white hunter]
1733 words (5 pages)