Hegemony was derived from the Greek word "egemonia," meaning leader or ruler, often in the sense of a state other than his own (Williams 144). Although the base of this definition remains true, the word has evolved to much more. Hegemony is defined by Fontana Dictionary of Modern Thought as "Political and economical control exercised by a dominant class, and its success in projecting its own way of seeing the world, human and social relationships as 'common sense' and part of the natural order by those who are, in fact, subordinated to it." Hegemony is defined as a predominant influence or leadership of a dominant class or institution over a subordinate class; the question is are the "subordinates" forced to follow the beliefs, or do they agree with them?
Antonio Gramsci, a leading Marxist thinker in the early 20th century, used hegemony to define class structure, (e.g. bourgeois hegemony). Gramsci's philosophy was that the subordinate class was to follow this "common sense" that the dominant class set, however, Gramsci ...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The True Meaning of Terrorism Think of the word terrorism. What is the first thing that comes to mind. One might think of kidnapping, assassination, bombing, or even genocide and guerrilla warfare. Because it is such a broad and complex issue, an all-encompassing definition is hard to formulate. The United States Department of Defence defines terrorism as… The calculated use of violence or the threat of violence to inculcate fear; intended to coerce or to intimidate governments or societies in the pursuit of goals that are generally political, religious or ideological.... [tags: Terrorism Terrorist Definition Criminology Essays]
811 words (2.3 pages)
- Definition Essay - The Meaning of Private Freedom and confinement, contradictory as they seem, are both integrated into the description of what it means to be private. The meaning of private is even further dual in nature when interpreted personally or in community contexts. On a smaller scale, individual people classify private as an expected amenity, intended to be a confined to oneself. On the other hand, communities perceive private as the quality of being independent or free from any public organization or institution. In reference to dictionary definition, there is a dual understanding and common usage of the word private, each derived from the context in which it is used, either... [tags: Definition Essays]
454 words (1.3 pages)
- Since the beginning of its existence terrorism itself, as well as its application had been arousing many controversies. The definition of terrorism has not been clearly established since the times this expression was used for the first time in the eighteenth century. Furthermore, its meaning has been transforming through the decades together with new ideologies, technologies, such as invention of dynamite, nuclear weapons and appearance of new terrorist techniques – blackmail and bloody suicides’ attacks.... [tags: Warfare]
1542 words (4.4 pages)
- ... In terms of diversity, there are all types of currency with different values and exchange rates giving us value wherever we go. In general, the meaning of value can be interpreted in multiple ways. Meaning is taught to us as having a connection outside the restrictions of value that attach to somebody. Nozick asks us to question the meaning of life since our existence in this world is limited till death which is the final phase of our existence. We wonder why certain belongings have so much meaning and not so much in terms of value.... [tags: value, meaning, definitions, reality]
1423 words (4.1 pages)
- Is there someone you know that is wealthy and prominent. Do they demonstrate the characteristics of a successful person in today’s society. Media today has effectively convinced our society into accepting an untrue, even possibly hazardous definition of success. Even though Webster’s dictionary defines success as “achieving wealth, respect, and fame,” the definition of success is different for everyone. Society wants us to accept that having money, having big house, and owning multiple cars is the key to happiness, and henceforth, success.... [tags: Society, Work, Intelligence]
698 words (2 pages)
- Definition Essay- The Evolved Meaning of Private The word private has changed very much over the past 600 years. When the word first originated it had a few concise meanings. Today, the word private has plenty of definitions, some of which many people do not know. For instance, it is interesting to learn that private means "apart from the state" or "a person not receiving treatment under the National Health Service or any similar state scheme" (Landau). Spending time looking through dictionaries helps to gain a much better understanding of a word many think they know very well.... [tags: Definition Essays]
654 words (1.9 pages)
- The Meaning of Courage In life there are many terms that are relative to individual cultures. That means that the definition is different depending on the culture's location and its persons believe. The definition for one such term, courage, as defined by both Daniel Webster and Funk & Wagnalls is "That quality of mind or spirit enabling one to meet danger or difficulties/ opposition with firmness/fearlessness." The words that make courage a relative term are danger and opposition. The definitions of those words are what determine if a person or an act is considered to be foolhardy, courageous, or cowardice.... [tags: Expository Definition Essays]
661 words (1.9 pages)
- The Meaning of Love One can love a sister, a brother, a mother, a father, grandparents, uncles and aunts, cousins and friends, strangers, pets, the sunlight on a warm evening, reflecting through a prism, held by fishing line stuck to a little suction cup to a dusty window. You can love food from cake to roast beef, even those tiny individual candy bars that are never enough but just give you a taste of chocolate before you pop in the second one. One is able to love the feeling of carpet between toes or the tension in a hammocks string when you lay in that 'u' position swinging delightfully with each motion of your body.... [tags: Expository Definition Essays]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- Definition Essay - The Many Meanings of Community Community is a common tool of the English language to categorize people and put unique individuals into a single group. However, what is the real meaning of community? Community can be used as a noun or an adjective and it has a plethora of meanings in the dictionary. The Oxford English Dictionary defined the word community in two pages worth of different meanings. The earlier definitions (from the 17th century) defined community as “the quality of appertaining to or being held by all in common; joint or common ownership, tenure, liability” and a “common character, quality in common, commonness, agreement, identity.” Then in the later... [tags: Definition Essays]
547 words (1.6 pages)
- Definition Essay – Different Meanings of Private “Property is a central economic institution of any society, and private property is the central institution of a free society.” This was a quote by David Friedman (Friedman). The word dealt with in this essay is ‘private’ and this quote exactly examines one of the prime meanings of private. The main aim of my essay is to explain the different meanings of the word private and to explain the significance and variations of its usage over the past decades.... [tags: Definition Essays]
648 words (1.9 pages)