In the early 20’s, things like getting married at an early age while
you were still at your prime, building a family, buying a house with a
“white picket fence” were important.
Then in the 30’s, getting married and having a family was still the
most important thing, but also perhaps becoming a socialite and
presenting a good imaging.
*NOTE: It may be important to note that women were always expected to
‘keep up appearances’ or be perfect and project the right image. At
this point, having a career was relatively not important
In the 60’s is when women started getting out there and looking for
jobs. Although having a family/husband was still important, women
started getting jobs.
However, the jobs they were getting were not like the men’s - they
mostly had jobs like secretaries, teachers, nurses (jobs that have
As time progressed, the importance of having a career and being
independent grew among women.
We definitely saw this in the early ‘80’s with women starting to break
into the business world. The importance of this to women was shown in
movies and music of the ‘80s.
Even in fashion, we started seeing women dressing like men - I.e.
blazers, pants instead of skirts, ties…careers, independence, and
equality became even more important.
During the ‘90’s and up until today, women still find family
important, but they recognize that personal stability, independence,
education and your career are #1.
* NOTE - We see this belief in magazines like Cosmopolitan magazine as
images as successful working women are portrayed.
-women don’t car...
... middle of paper ...
...e a comparison of how their roles at home and in
society have changed by revealing women’s changing priorities. Also
through personal accounts, statistics, historical findings from books
and the internet, we will “set the stage”, or describe what was going
on at the time to answer the other questions like the obstacles women
had to overcome ( ie. Unequal pay ), or education and opportunities
(ie. The growth of their opportunities or lack their of.) Our group
decided to answer the question of what women find important to not
only present the project in a more interesting way and not just report
the information, but to make it more personal. So far, we have had
success in our change in organization for we are finding it much
easier to systematize the information and that is, in turn, making our
assignment all the better.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Now that we have explored my past, present, and future experiences with diversity, it is time to see how they are present within and effect each other. Firstly, let’s look into how my future is present in my past. The most obvious portion of my future that is in my past is my willingness and efforts to love and include everyone and to spread this world view. It took a fellow classmate of mine to demonstrate to my third grade self that we are all human beings and we all deserve to be treated as such.... [tags: Time, Future, Present, Past]
714 words (2 pages)
- Cryptography: the Past, Present and Future The idea of cryptography has been in existence since 1900 BC with the use of inscriptions on the tomb of Khnumhotep II, in Egypt (Red Hat). Ever since that time, the uses and methods have changed, but the overall idea of transferring information in a secret and efficient manner has been the driving force for faster and safer data transfer. This paper will define cryptography, discuss its long history, current trends and the future of the complex electronic security technology.... [tags: Cryptography, Cipher, RSA, Key]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- Making my way through the crowded streets of Hyderabad (India), I arrive at the door step of a bakery shop. I have picked up some freshly baked sweet rolls for breakfast. My family really enjoys breakfast the day sweet rolls with jelly and warm milk are on the menu. Over breakfast, my family usually discusses any important events of the day ahead. Most families in India create a strong sense of family bond and aim to instill good values in their children. In this paper, I will be shedding some light on my past and present experiences.... [tags: India, future, biography,]
1049 words (3 pages)
- Past, Present, and Future of Computers Imagine being able to do almost anything right from your own living room. You could order a pizza, watch cartoons, or play video games with people from around the entire world. All are possible today with your computer. The beginnings of the computer started off in a rather unique way. It was first used to produce intricate designs with silk, a task far to long a tedious for a human to do constantly. It's really unbelievable how the computers changed from that to what they are now.... [tags: essays research papers]
1746 words (5 pages)
- America. It was a dream come true in a New World that was envisioned by artists, politicians, and monarchs alike. The ones who believed that anything could be achieved by God, the mind, and manpower. Even through opposition from governments, kingdoms, nobles, and naysayers, these brave individuals strived to establish a better life for themselves and their families, aimed to retain a secure future in the process, and wanted to worship God in their own way. They had the courage to cross unknown oceans and territories, sail miles and miles away from the comforts and familiarities of home, and set out to create a new lifestyle in a great land they had never known.... [tags: America]
1278 words (3.7 pages)
- Philosopher George Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Studying history is necessary for people to avoid making the same mistakes. Whether it is about a country’s glory or personal misfortune, analyzing the past provides valuable lessons for people from all ages. They can draw wisdom and adjust their present behaviors. In his memoir, The Color of Water: A Black Man’s Tribute to His White Mother, James McBride illustrates this concept when he quests his mother Ruth’s old times and his new world.... [tags: history, the past, memories, james mcbride]
1168 words (3.3 pages)
- Past, Present, and Future Paper I began my undergraduate studies at the University of Phoenix (UOP) in July 2006. The decision to pursue the Bachelor of Science in Business Management degree from UOP was based on the school’s curriculum, reputation, learning environment, and personal references. Past Looking back, it is amazing to reminisce upon the last two years. When I started school in July 2006, I had not been in an accredited learning environment in over thirty-two years. My previous schooling had been at a local College where I didn’t really have any educational or professional goals in mind and lacked workforce experience.... [tags: Reflection Reflective Personal Narrative]
1275 words (3.6 pages)
- In those systems, the calendar, the natural cycles, the current moment is important. People need to consider what they are planning to do in the current day, the current hour, etc. Although the filter changes, the priority is still the same. The present moment is not something to be taken lightly, as it moves by quickly to the next event if it is not noticed. The Real Time moves to the next event quickly if it is not noticed in time. If one does not take the time to notice the Real Time flowing past them, and to try to understand its significance, then he/she will be left behind it, none-the-wiser.... [tags: Time, Future, Present, Past]
1499 words (4.3 pages)
- The past will always have an effect on the present. This is especially shown within literature where previous events will change a character’s actions, attitudes, and values. In A Streetcar Named Desire, every character has a past that dictates their present and future. The character Blanche is primarily shown to further prove this point. Her past entire affects her present and future whether it be for the positive or negative. Blanche is seen as insane throughout the play due to her haunting past.... [tags: Future, Time, Present, Past]
814 words (2.3 pages)
- Life is made up of fleeting moments that pass without even realizing it. We have the past with greatly influences who we are today. The present is a brief gift that is happening now, the decisions we take to create a future. And the future is uncertain but is influenced by the past and present. In my case, my life was a chain of decisions of the past that have created my present and clarified what I want in my future. Through my life I have been multifaceted, in the past, I was a playful little girl to an elite gymnast in Spain, in the present I’m a college student focused on her goals and objectives and in the future I hope to be a pediatrician who helps and fulfills dreams of those in need... [tags: Time, Future, Past, Present]
1260 words (3.6 pages)