In the state of Washington, pedestrians have always had the right of way. However, the recent enforcement of this law is causing traffic problems citywide. Traffic tends to come to a screeching halt without any warning. I was driving North on Nevada Street in Spokane, three of four lanes of traffic had stopped to allow a man and a young child to cross the street, the fourth lane of traffic had not stopped. Finally a car in that fourth lane of traffic stopped, causing the car behind it to slam on the brakes, literally coming to a screeching halt. Had the man and child started across the street and the screeching car not been able to stop, it would have hit the already stopped car pushing it forward, hitting the man and child. Pedestrians crossing the street are in more danger now that the law in being enforced, then they previously had been. The enforcement of this law has increased the risk to both drivers and pedestrians.
The New American Webster's Dictionary defines jaywalking as: cross a street against a traf...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Cause and Effect Essay - McDonald's Causes More Deaths than Terrorists It was probably inevitable that one day people would start suing McDonald's for making them fat. That day came this summer, when New York lawyer Samuel Hirsch filed several lawsuits against McDonald's, as well as four other fast-food companies, on the grounds that they had failed to adequately disclose the bad health effects of their menus. One of the suits involves a Bronx teenager who tips the scale at 400 pounds and whose mother, in papers filed in U.S.... [tags: Expository Cause Effect Essays]
1865 words (5.3 pages)
- The purpose of this paper is to explain the causes of teen suicide. This paper will include statistics and some background information on suicide survivors. Also this report will discuss some warning signs of teen suicide. It is important to take the subject of suicide seriously. It doesn't seem right that a teenager, who has lived for such a short time, would choose to die, but those who can't get over their depression sometimes do. Teen suicide is the third leading cause of death for young people aged 15 to 24 and the fourth leading cause of death for persons between the ages of 10 and 14 and it seems to be on the rise.... [tags: Expository Cause Effect Essays Teenager]
733 words (2.1 pages)
- Hume starts to have skeptical doubts about the operations of understanding. He says there are two types of human understanding (only one of them concerns his inquiry into what we know to be true or certain). Hume says that all of the faculties of human reasoning are divided into two kinds; relations of ideas and matters of fact. Relations of Ideas are knowledge that is found of the sciences or mathematics. They are required without experience and can be proved without experience, for example, the Pythagorean Theorem.... [tags: philosophical analysis]
832 words (2.4 pages)
- Donald and Jimmy were completely tired of their bully, Michael. He stood an entire foot taller than both of them and was the master of intimidation. He forced them to do everything for him including chores and homework. He also found it entertaining to punch and throw things at them. Little did he know that this would all end very soon. One warm morning in the summer of 1946, the boys brought the 11-year-old to a nearby pond. They stood there in horrid as they watched Michael use his knife to carve a living turtle right out of its shell along the shore.... [tags: Psychology, Juvenile Crime]
855 words (2.4 pages)
- ... Thus, there was no way for the staffs to learn and understand about the situation on high wastage of products within the lab. Additionally, the staffs also lacked knowledge on proper inventory management, such as checking the availability of the units and making decision on maintaining the right inventory level. There is no guideline or instruction setup for adjusting the number of units for weekly inventory. The weekly inventory supply is received twice a week from American Red Cross. Instead of receiving the entire order, it is important to adjust the number, on the basis of the demand of need and available inventory.... [tags: analysis, laboratory, management]
1122 words (3.2 pages)
- Cause and Effect Economic Decline on Mental Health. When we hear the word Recession we automatically think money, unemployment, but what about the reality of the mental status of our generation that lived through the recession of 2008. What mental issues stem from the main issues of unemployment, and poverty due to the recession. What where the rising cost for mental health services due to the recession. Finally what will our generation carrying into the future due to living through the down turn of the economy.... [tags: Cause and Effect, Mental Health]
902 words (2.6 pages)
- "We will bring the terrorists to justice; or we will bring justice to the terrorists. Either way, justice will be done." George Walker Bush, 2001. This quote made by President Bush in 2001 after the September. At the time, this quote was exactly what most Americans wanted to hear. The word Revenge perfectly describes what we wanted from Saddam Hussein. As the years have gone by, Revenge has been in the back of our heads. As the intensity of war has dropped, we have gone on with our lives. The cause of the war has affected our lives today.... [tags: war, ]
1178 words (3.4 pages)
- The Causes of Terror There are (at least) three kinds of causes of radical Islamic terrorism: i. Worldview: The Religious Rationale ii. Social and Political Conditions: Cultures of Despair iii. Means: The Enabling Conditions The Bush administration has discussed only the third: The means that enable attacks to be carried out. These include: leadership (e.g., bin Laden), host countries, training facilities and bases, financial backing, cell organization, information networks, and so on.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Topics]
713 words (2 pages)
- The Burdens of Illegal Immigrants and Illegal Immigration The United States was formed by the immigration of many people from all over the world. Americans take pride in knowing that we are a people of vast ethnic backgrounds and culture. However, at the present time, the flow of illegal immigration, as well as a large influx of other legal immigrants is placing a strain on our land of "huddled masses." Legal immigration to the United States can easily be handled and is welcomed by most Americans.... [tags: Cause Effect]
1044 words (3 pages)
- Teen suicide is becoming more common every year in the United States. In fact, only car accidents and homicides (murders) kill more people between the ages of 15 and 24, making suicide the third leading cause of death in teens and overall in youths ages 10 to 19 years old. Read on to learn more about this serious issue - including what causes a person to consider taking their own life, what puts a teen at risk for suicide or self-harm, and warning signs that someone might be considering suicide and how they can get help to find other solutions.... [tags: Expository Cause Effect Essays Papers]
1501 words (4.3 pages)