Bicameral legislature- A congress made up of two houses. In the U.S. it is the senate and the House of Representatives. Constitutional convention agreed to a bicameral legislation. Congressional Sessions- Each term of congress starts on January 3 of odd numbered years and lasts for two years. Sessions- a meeting that takes place twice in congress and usually lasts for most of the year. Congress remains in session until its members vote to adjourn. After adjournment the president may call congress back into meeting as a special session. Membership of the House- a total of 435 members make up the house of representatives. Seats are allotted to each state and the number of seats that state is allowed to have is based on its population. Every state is entitled to at least one seat no matter how small the population is. To qualify to be a member of the house you must be at least 25 years of age, a resident of the US for 7 years and a legal resident of the state you represent.(Usually live in the district they represent.) Terms of the house are for two years. Representation and reapportionment- the census bureau takes a national census, or population count, every 10 years to assign representation according to population. The population of each state determines the new number of representatives, which is called reapportionment. Congressional Redistricting- The process of setting up new district lines after reapportionment has been completed. Gerrymandering- means that the political party controlling the state government draws a districts boundaries to gain an advantage in elections. The term gerrymandering can be traced to Elbridge Gerry, a governor of Massachusetts. Membership of the Senate- The senate is c...
... middle of paper ...
...ongress has powers beyond those expressed in the first 17 clauses. The Writ of Habeas corpus is a court order to release a person accused of a crime to court to determine whether he or she has been legally detained. Powers of congress- money powers, commerce powers, military and foreign policy powers, and other legislative powers. Appropriations bills are proposed laws to authorize spending money. Interstate commerce- is commerce among the states. Copyright- the exclusive right to publish and sell a literary, musical, or artistic work for a specified period of time. A patent is the exclusive right of an inventor to manufacture, use, and sell his or her invention for a specific period, currently 17 years, and can be renewed. Impeachment- A formal accusation of misconduct in office against a public official. Only a charge of wrong doing, not a determination of guilt.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Famous American poet James Russell Lowell once said, “Democracy gives every man the right to be his own oppressor” (“Quotations” 2011). And it should be just that. James Russell Lowell successfully defined democracy when it is in its truest form; a citizen’s beliefs should be equally represented and considered for. The representative democracy instated in the United States presents the need for three branches in the government; they include the executive, legislative, and judicial branch. The Congress embodies the lawmaking branch of the government, having “all legislative powers” as it is stated in Article I of the Constitution.... [tags: U.S. Government ]
1408 words (4 pages)
- Congress was established to represent the people; to serve a purpose bigger than themselves. The delegates battled with each other all for the greater good. Their responsibility was to facilitate prosperity and to set up a safe and flourishing country for their eager citizens. Similarly, their duty is to serve the constituents and their country. This is done through extensive processes of legislation and investigations of national significance. To get the job done in Congress, it may not always be pretty.... [tags: U.S. Government ]
3122 words (8.9 pages)
- Bicameral Legislature Bicameral legislature- A congress made up of two houses. In the U.S. it is the senate and the House of Representatives. Constitutional convention agreed to a bicameral legislation. Congressional Sessions- Each term of congress starts on January 3 of odd numbered years and lasts for two years. Sessions- a meeting that takes place twice in congress and usually lasts for most of the year. Congress remains in session until its members vote to adjourn. After adjournment the president may call congress back into meeting as a special session.... [tags: Papers]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- Is the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) better yet with a Unicameral Legislature or with the current Bicameral Legislature. According to Wikipedia, the Northern Mariana Islands Commonwealth Legislature is defined as the territorial legislature of the United States of America (Wikipedia). The legislative branch of the Marianas is bicameral. It consist of twenty members in the lower House of Representatives, and an upper house Senate with nine members. The Representatives serve two-year terms, and the Senators serve four-year terms, both without term limits.... [tags: Unicameral, Bicameral, legislature, United States]
1028 words (2.9 pages)
- Explain the differences in between unicameral and bicameral legislatures. What are their virtues and vices. Introduction For years, countries have had different legislatures bicameral and unicameral. The features of each legislatures are distinct from one another. It even accounts to various vices and virtues. Both legislatures exist in various countries in the world. The reason to which varies in each place. Legislatures are essential for a society to perform politically well. However, the political structure of every nations varies thus, there exist no simple generalization.... [tags: Compare&Contrast, Representation]
2146 words (6.1 pages)
- The U.S. Congress is a very powerful bicameral legislative body that make the laws. In Congress, the elected representatives have the power to develop needs and wants that people request. Their most important role is to protect our human rights because it affect our daily lives. All members of Congress represent the different perspectives of people and attempts to reach an accommodation because they are responsible for improving the quality of our lives. In order for an agency to operate, they need funds from the government to achieve their mission statement.... [tags: United States, United States Congress]
887 words (2.5 pages)
- ... One exception is the House Intelligence Committee, which is a permanent select committee. Conference committees are also temporary panels designed to negotiate differences between House and Senate forms of legislature to compromise the exact details of a particular bill. Lastly, joint committees are similar to conference committees, except they are permanent. Joint committees focus on broad areas, and are used of oversight into bureaucratic organizations throughout the Government. It would be as foolish to assume that a committee can know and understand a full piece of legislation as it would be to assume that individual members of Congress would.... [tags: vote, bill, government]
638 words (1.8 pages)
- In accordance with the research of John Hibbing and Elizabeth Theiss-Morse, this paper will argue that through both electioneering campaigns and legislative action, representatives and senators in the Arizona State Legislature respond to cues from an electorate dissatisfied with the deliberative nature of the democratic process. Although the desired “stealth democracy” theorised by Hibbing and Theiss-Morse is ultimately impossible to successfully implement among an ideologically diverse yet largely apathetic population, controversial measures such as S.B.... [tags: United States, Separation of powers, Legislature]
1648 words (4.7 pages)
- An imperative decision founders of a nation must make is how the legislature will be organized. Choosing unicameral, one chamber, or bicameral, two chamber, organization can be an incredibly difficult choice. As to which one is better, there is no clear-cut answer. While small countries usually establish unicameral systems, federal/democratic systems typically implement bicameral systems as some claim it provides better representation of the people. Since larger countries tend to have larger populations, they tend to implement bicameral systems.... [tags: United States, Legislatures, United States Senate]
911 words (2.6 pages)
- 1. LA Department of Water and Power The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (DWP) is the largest municipal utility in the United States. It is serving over four million residents. It was founded in 1902 to supply water and electricity to residents and businesses in Los Angeles and surrounding communities. 2. Missouri Plan The Missouri Nonpartisan Court Plan or Missouri Plan for short is a method of selecting judges. It originated in Missouri in 1940 and several other states have adopted the same policy.... [tags: Missouri Plan, California, Prop 140, ]
1324 words (3.8 pages)