General Colin Powell did the Commencement speech at Howard University on May 25, 1994. He did the speech after a cloud of controversy had happen at the university. A racist Black Muslim made a speech at Howard University. Howard policy is that anybody can express his or her freedom of speech on there campus. As you can figure out, the white community did not think of that very well. Connie Chung did a report saying that Howard University was a racist institution. All of this pressure was coming down at once. Howard said that they did not agree with the Black Muslims beliefs but will let them speak and express their opinions.
Colin Powell is a man of high power. In the Vietnam War, he was an advisor to all of the top generals there. He was also an advisor to the Secretary of Defense. The final position he held was that of the Joint Chief-and-Staff. Colin Powell was the only black man in U.S. history to hold down such a high position.
Colin Powell speech was what you call a classic. Basically, he came from nowhere to rescue the honor of Howard University. He speech began with him calling the Black Muslim speaker ignorant. I think that opening statement set the tone of the whole speech. He let people know from the start that he wasn't about to put Howard into anymore trouble. The other part of the speech of the speech was telling the Howard graduates to go out in the word and get good jobs. This part of the speech was on the ordinary note. All people will go through this part of the speech. In my speech, I had that informational part also. You need to inform people on what is going on. If you don't have the informational part of the speech then you...
... middle of paper ...
...n the class for a distraction. I was more nervous for my speech than anything. A distraction would have destroyed my whole speech. Colin Powell showed me how to control a distraction. That is by making a joke or let the situation pass you bye.
The conclusion is one of the most important parts of the speech. You shouldn't say that's all, its over, and I'm finish because it show a sloppy side to yourself. Colin Powell conclusion was perfect because he concluded with wishing the Howard graduation class the best of luck in the future. That is a classic way to end a speech. Colin Powell really showed how much of an intelligent person he really was. This man went to a trouble university a brought them back into the light of the white media. Instead of hatred, he preached loved and that is why he is one of the great African-Americans in the history of the world.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Popularity of Colin Powell Everywhere he goes, Colin Powell is besieged. Bicycle messengers in spandex tights stop him on the streets of Washington and urge him to run for President. Waiters at restaurants advise the retired general to aim for the White House. CEOs quietly pledge money should Powell decide to run. Political operatives of both parties would like to ignore Powell--but can't. "I don't think about it a lot," claims a senior White House official, before admitting, "If Powell does run, he will be a significant player." Another in the White House is more fatalistic: "If he runs, we're dead." Says William Lacy, Bob Dole's top strategist: "If he jumped in the race today, he wou... [tags: Colin Powell Governmental Political Essays]
4775 words (13.6 pages)
- Members of the faculty, parents, guests, and graduates, have no fear. I am well aware that on a day of such high excitement, what you require, first and foremost, of any speaker is brevity. I shall not fail you in this respect. When we arrived at State College, all was new to us and we walked around looking up at everything in awe. As we have been preparing to leave, we were given the chance to see State College from the top of the tallest building, looking down on everything with nostalgic familiarity—inspecting the tiny people that bring State College to life, trying to imagine the countless buses we squeezed to get on, and the hours spent talking to friends.... [tags: Graduation Speech, Commencement Address]
933 words (2.7 pages)
- Topic: The American Red Cross Club at State University is group that organizes blood drives, and thinks of creative ways to motivate people do donate blood. Purpose Statement: Check out the flyer, stop in at a meeting, or search for us online, to find out how to sign up. Audience Analysis: 1. Demographics: People who wish to donate blood will need to be at least 17 years of age and weighing no less than 110 pounds. If one is interested in joining the American Red Cross Club, they will need to be a current MSU student.... [tags: Informative Speech]
1261 words (3.6 pages)
- PURPOSE BACKGROUND Universiti Teknologi MARA Universiti Teknologi MARA or UiTM, established in 1956. UITM can be considered as the largest university in the Malaysia with a main campus, three cable campuses, 12 branch campuses, six city campuses, 25 affiliated campuses and a smart campus for the future. Presently, the Shah Alam campus is host to 45% of the total 100,000 students. Information system management(ISM) is the one of the course that offered by Universiti Teknologi MARA.ISM is the study of people, technology, organizations and the relationships among them.... [tags: university evaluation and comparison]
1118 words (3.2 pages)
- Uncovering Our Earliest Ancestors: The Link is about the discovery of Ida. Ida is the alleged primate fossil that could link the two groups together. This fossil, forty-seven million years old, is the oldest and most complete primate yet to be found. Written by Colin Tudge, this non-fiction book explains the connection between both ancient and modern-day primates and humans. This book explains the complexity of Ida and her ancestors. The Link begins by explaining the environment in which Ida lived and her death.... [tags: Fossil, Earliest Ancestors, Analysis]
1119 words (3.2 pages)
- Retired General Colin Powell Colin Powell stated, Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off. It seemed as if he had found his place while in ROTC. The discipline along with the structure, it was as if he had found people who were like him. He had fallen in love with the Army and after forty years of service, he retired. He was ask, what would have you done if you had not come in the Army. I’d probably be a bus driver, I don't know. The General had some very strong parental guidance while growing up.... [tags: biography, public life]
946 words (2.7 pages)
- Hello, good morning and welcome to graduation for the class of 2012. I have waited to hear those words for 5 years - and by the looks on all of my fellow graduates faces, I am not alone. Think with me for a minute about the process we have gone through which has gathered us here today. Our stories of these past years are not much different. Whether you went to a community college, transferred here from another four-year school or started your freshman year in the dorms near the entrance of this campus, we are finally finishing together.... [tags: Graduation Speech, Commencement Address]
1324 words (3.8 pages)
- Charles Yale Harrison’s Generals Die in Bed vs Colin McDougall’s Execution As with any genre, all novels termed ‘war stories’ share certain elements in common. The place and time settings of the novels, obviously, take in at least some aspect of at least one war or conflict. The characters tend to either be soldiers or are at least immediately affected by the military. An ever present sense of doom with punctuated moments of peace is almost a standard of the war novel. Beyond the basic similarities, however, each of these battle books stands apart as an individual.... [tags: Charles Yale Harrison Colin McDougall]
1717 words (4.9 pages)
- Colin Powell is a strong individual that has over come hardships of his own and that of his country. He is a man that was never satisfied with average and still excels in everything he does. Colin Powell is a leader and a role model to African Americans and the rest of the world. On April 5, 1937 a true hero was born by the name Colin Luther Powell. He was born in Harlem, New York 12 years after his mother Maud and father Luther Theophilus Powell immigrated to New York from Jamaica. Colin grew up in New York City and proved to be a very intelligent human being.... [tags: essays research papers]
1037 words (3 pages)
- My Written Report is a Short Biography of Colin Luther Powell. He was born on May 5, 1937 in Presbyterian Hospital. He was born, and grew up, in the South Bronx, New York. There was a big influence of drugs and gangs where Powell lived but, he seemed to steer away from all of that (source 1, page 23). Powell's parents were immigrants from Jamaica. His mother's name is Muad Ariel McKoy. In Jamaica the McKoy fammily watched over sugar plantations. She came to America with her mother (Colin's grandmother).... [tags: essays research papers]
1173 words (3.4 pages)