Rep. José E. Serrano of New York, Ranking Democrat on the Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, State, Judiciary, and related agencies of the exclusive and powerful House Appropriations Committee, represents New York's 16th Congressional District in the South Bronx. This district he represents is one of the most economically devastated areas in the United States. This mostly Hispanic area in South Bronx had, by the 1970s, become a symbol for the nation's urban ills. This district stretches of refuse-strewn lots and burned-out buildings that provide backdrops for politicians of both parties. Many of the politicians have prescribed varying solutions to revive the inner cities. However, residents have complained bitterly that these photo meetings have resulted in no improvements for the low-income communities of the South Bronx. There was light however of an economic turnaround that began to take root, in 1995, in the parts of the area that forms the 16th. Several neighborhoods of single-family homes and low-rise apartments have been built on vacated lots by financially supported economic development organizations, and then occupied by the working-class, minority families. These areas, as more settle, middle-class Hispanic communities in the eastern part of the 16th, provide hope for improvement.
The South Bronx was overtaken by Hispanics following the end of World War II. Since 1970 it has elected Democrats of Puerto Rican origin to the House. In 1970 Herman Badillo became the first Puerto Rican to serve in Congress. In 1978, he was succeeded by Robert Garcia, and then in 1990, Serrano stepped in and has easily held the seat since. Once the province was largely of working-class white ethnics, ...
... middle of paper ...
...from redistricting. Given the fact that his district gave just 6% of their votes to Bush, and that he has been unopposed and successful in the last decade I predict he will win his next election without any trouble.
Barone, Michael. The Almanac of American Politics 2002. New York: National Journal Inc., 2001
Ehrenhalt, Alan, ed. Politics in America: Members of Congress in Washington and At Home. New York: Congressional Quarterly, Inc., 1983
Feliberty, Migdalia. Telephone Interview. 4 January 2002
Congressman José E. Serrano's Web Page. http://www.house.gov/serrano/welcome.html
Project Vote-Smart: The Most Trusted Source for Political Information. http://www.vote-smart.org/index.phtml
United States House of Represenatives: Committee on Appropriations http://www.house.gov/appropriations/sub.htm last updated- 12/19/01
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction As an aspiring applicant who wishes to enter the field of political risk assessment. This report has been compiled to provide you the information and know-how required to land a position as a political risk analyst with Eurasia Group. First; the concept of political risk will be defined and explored, before illuminating why and how there is a need for corporations such as Eurasia Group to exist. Secondly, as this paper’s goal is to suitably prepare you for a job interview with Eurasia Group, a profile of the firm will be provided, answering the typical questions one asks of any organization: Questions that you as a prospective interviewee, are expected to know.... [tags: Political Risks, Direct and Indirect Competitors]
1915 words (5.5 pages)
- 1. INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Only a few took note of Rizal having a suave physique. He is usually described of what he virtually was perceived through different sources. Of all those different sources, some have shown discrepancies. This de facto notion was inculcated by the movie Bayaning Third World, directed by Mike de Leon. Descriptions of Jose Rizal nonetheless lack of what truly is suave of him. Little disputes are made in debunking what he usually have worn and what he was irked by.... [tags: political icons, Philipines reform]
1544 words (4.4 pages)
- We are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of a wide range of Electrical Contacts for Starter and O.C.B. Carbon Brush, Brush Holder and Slip Ring Unit.// change sequencing, same as about us// Our range is acknowledged for optimum quality, efficiency and durability. We are counted as a prominent manufacturer and supplier of a comprehensive range of Electrical Contacts for Starters, O.C.B. Contacts, Carbon Brushes, Brush Holders, Slip Ring Unit and Flexible Cable. Moreover, we are also a stockist of Relay, Timers, PVC Cables, Copper Wire and Aluminum Wire.... [tags: Business Profile]
2279 words (6.5 pages)
- We are a renowned organization engaged in retailing and supplying of Audio & Visual Equipment, Sprung Back Scrappers and Polyurethane and Rubber Screen Decks & Liners. These are known for their durability, reliability and excellent performance. Owing to our experience of almost a decade in this field, we are engaged in offering our clients with a comprehensive range of LCD Projectors, Cordless Mike, Computers, Laptops and Audio Systems. Apart from these, we also provide Collar Mike, Sprung Back Scrapers and Polyurethane and Rubber Screen Decks & Liners.... [tags: Business Profile]
2230 words (6.4 pages)
- We are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our products are precisely engineered and are known for their durability and resistance against pressure and temperature. Backed by the industry experience of 17 years, we are the prominent manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our range of products includes Engine Valve Seat Inserts, Ring and Header Work. The high quality valves that we manufacture are known for their resistance against extremely high temperature in the combustion chambers of four stroke engines that use natural gas, L.P.... [tags: Business Profile]
1789 words (5.1 pages)
- When defining the word blindness, it can be interpreted in various ways. Either it can be explained as sightless, or it can be carefully deciphered as having a more complex in-depth analysis. In the novel Blindness, Jose Saramago depicts and demonstrates how in an instant your right to see can be taken in an instant. However, in this novel, blindness is metaphorically related to ‘seeing’ the truth beyond our own bias opinions. Saramago’s novel clearly illustrates themes that describe the importance of the awareness of others, in terms of feeling oppressed by fear, lack of trust, dehumanization, and segregation.... [tags: Jose Saramago Essays Blindness]
1541 words (4.4 pages)
- ... There will be a trainer named Mr. Roshan shetty the training head of food and beverage service association Canada. STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES MISSION STATEMENT Jose’s mission is to provide the customer’s experience with an outstanding line of Italian pizza by giving our customers the extensive selection of traditional and gourmet. OBJECTIVES Jose’s long term objective would be to establish its presence in the market of pizza and to obtain the sales goals by attracting every level of customers and becoming a trend.... [tags: proposed project with projection]
2189 words (6.3 pages)
- Profile Essays Profile Essays - Grandfather, Grandpa By definition, my grandfather is handicapped. However, he doesn't act as though he is, and he certainly does not want to be treated in any special way. In fact, most of the handicapped people in society do not appreciate being treated in a way different from anyone else. They just want to be accepted as human beings. Some people become handicapped as a result of an accident. Others are born with their disabilities. My grandfather was asleep one night on a Coast Guard cutter when another ship, a destroyer, appeared in the distance.... [tags: Personal Narrative Profile]
415 words (1.2 pages)
- The Prince As A Modern Political Treatise Written almost 500 years ago by the so called first political scientist in the world, Niccolo Machiavelli’s “The Prince” brings forward a new definition to virtue. A definition which argues against the concept brought forward by the Catholic Church. Machiavelli did not impose any thoughts of his own rather he only wrote from his experience and whatever philosophy that lead to actions which essentially produced effective outcomes in the political scene of Italy and in other countries.... [tags: Political Scientist, Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli]
2192 words (6.3 pages)
- Cameroon became a German colony in 1884. At the end First World War, under League of Nations mandates, eastern Cameroon was awarded to France while the southern and northern Cameroons was awarded to Britain. In 1960, French Cameroons gained its independence and Ahmadou Ahidjo was appointed to the presidency. In February 1961 the southern populations of British administered Cameroons voted to join the newly independent Republic of Cameroon. In 1966 Ahmadou Ahidjo made Cameroon a one-party state, in retaliation to a major rebellion, and through constitutional restructuring; concentrated power in presidential hands.... [tags: Geography ]
867 words (2.5 pages)