The short story "The Secret Sharer" by Joseph Conrad centers around a character of a sea captain who is insecure and has great feelings of inadequacy on his fist job as Captain of a ship. In the story the Captain befriends a fugitive by the name of Legatt who is clearly shown to be a figment of the Captains imagination rather than an actual human being. The title of the story alone suggests that the "secret sharer" is an imaginary friend that is secretive and that the Captain can share his thoughts with. The Captains feelings of inadequacy and his insecurities leave an empty space in him, which he fills by imagining his "secret sharer". Legatt helps the Captain overcome his feelings of inadequacy and his fears and helps the Captain become a good leader and the man he always wanted to be.
This is the Captains first job at being the captain of a ship and he feels like he is a stranger on his own ship "my position was that of the only stranger on board...I was somewhat a stranger to myself (725). The captain feels more intimidated because he is...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Secret Sharer by Joseph Conrad The short story "The Secret Sharer" by Joseph Conrad centers around a character of a sea captain who is insecure and has great feelings of inadequacy on his fist job as Captain of a ship. In the story the Captain befriends a fugitive by the name of Legatt who is clearly shown to be a figment of the Captains imagination rather than an actual human being. The title of the story alone suggests that the "secret sharer" is an imaginary friend that is secretive and that the Captain can share his thoughts with.... [tags: Papers]
477 words (1.4 pages)
- The Secret Sharer by Joseph Conrad presents many themes throughout its complex narration of characters and the ideas it explicates through the novella. Amidst all the many themes that are presented there is one main theme that is thoroughly supported by Conrad in The Secret Sharer. The theme that is supported is, the ability that a person has, to change their moral and ethical beliefs due to their inexperience and self doubt as a leader. In the beginning the Captain is an upstanding, law abiding individual, yet his interaction with the murderer, and Leggatt, reveals him as someone who is insecure and easily malleable, this trait allows the captain to make many very illogical decisions... [tags: The Secret Agent Essays]
1055 words (3 pages)
- The Secret Sharer A Captain’s Metamorphosis In the short story “The Secret Sharer” by Joseph Conrad, the captain of the ship, the Colorado, changes from an insecure and inexperienced ship captain to a more confident and secure individual, due to his experiences with the Secret Sharer. At first, the captain is not sure of his place on the ship and does not feel right about being in charge. Through his relationship with the Secret Sharer, the captain finds identity and becomes a confident person.... [tags: The Secret Sharer Joseph Conrad]
675 words (1.9 pages)
- The Character of Leggatt in The Secret Sharer This essay examines Leggatt as an independent person, rather than as a symbol connected to the captain-narrator, a view shared by many critics. Leggatt is not a negative influence on the captain per se. From an objective point of view, it can be seen that Leggatt's portrayal depends entirely on how the captain (as narrator) perceives him, and that he deserves to be treated as the individual being that he is. Many of Conrad's critics, most notably Albert J.... [tags: Joseph Conrad Secret Sharer]
2323 words (6.6 pages)
- The Character of the Captain in Secret Sharer by Joseph Conrad The Captain helps Leggatt because he identifies with him. The Captain and Leggatt both have similar physical characteristic traits. They also come from the same social class and are both isolated on their ships. Symbolism is used to express the Captains mindset as depressed, apprehensive, and insecure. Through this symbolism the Captain implied his insecurities with nature and his crew. Not only does the Captain and Leggatt share similar characteristic traits, but Legget also has qualities that the Captain needs.... [tags: Papers]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- “He had turned about meantime; and we, the two strangers in the ship, faced each other in identical attitudes.” (9) The captain, narrator and main character in the story of the Secret Sharer by Joseph Conrad feels isolated and alone on his new ship and crew. He has a surprise visitor that turns out to be a fugitive, Leggett, from the ship Sephora. Leggett and the captain have an immediate connection from the first meeting on the ship. The captain finds an alliance with Leggett because he feels he shares the same human experiences as Leggett.... [tags: Joeseph Conrad, Dualism, Secret Sharer, ]
707 words (2 pages)
- Mental health complications are common personal traits in human beings. However, there are those that are implausibly real, though they are quite rare to find. Such unusual features include voices, visions, and multiple personalities. According to psychiatrists who will be mentioned in this paper, these psychological disorders are caused by high levels of stress or traumatic situations that happen in the victims ' lives. Voices and visions are sometimes normal dissociations that fade away quickly without the need to see a mental specialist.... [tags: Mental disorder, Schizophrenia, Psychology]
2231 words (6.4 pages)
- Parallels in the Orpheus Myth and Conrad's The Secret Sharer The myth of Orpheus and his descent into the underworld is paralleled in Joseph Conrad's "The Secret Sharer," revealing a common theme, the narrator's self-fulfillment through the conclusion of his symbolic and inward quest. This parallel, which may be called archetypal, serves to increase the reader's sense of identification with Conrad's narrator, and it lends an otherworldly tone to the work as a whole. Likewise, these echoes of Orphic material lead the reader through three stages.... [tags: Comparison Compare Contrast Essays]
929 words (2.7 pages)
- The Secret Sharer: the essay In the long short story The Secret Sharer by Joseph Conrad the narrator plays the captain of a merchant ship that is foreign to him. He is assigned to this foreign ship on a very short notice. He is expected to lead the crew to their destination, safely. This captain is lonely he has not one soul to speck to. He doesn’t know these people who he somehow is suppose to lead. His first night on the ship he finds his soon to be best friend, Leggatt. He finds his new best friend mysteriously floating in the water as if he was dead.... [tags: essays research papers]
985 words (2.8 pages)
- Similarities in Conrad's The Secret Sharer and Heart of Darkness Joseph Conrad's books, The Secret Sharer and Heart of Darkness, both deal with each of our "dark selves". These books also have similarities which are overwhelming. In describing the true inner self of humans, Conrad used many symbols which have become apparent in many of his novels. Conrad uses the same or very similar objects in many of his works. Joseph Conrad wrote Heart of Darkness in 1899 to recount his voyages in the Congo.... [tags: Comparison Compare Contrast Essays]
1326 words (3.8 pages)