The main difference between the architectures of Digital Equipment Corporation's (DEC) Alpha and Intel's Pentium processors are the instruction sets. In this paper I intend on defining both RISC and CISC processors. In doing this I will be comparing DEC's Alpha 21164 (a microprocessor that implements the Alpha architecture) and also Intel's Pentium processors (from the Pentium-R through the Pentium II).
Reduced Instruction Set Computing or RISC processing is a CPU architecture with an instruction set that eliminates some (but not all) complex instructions by pairing down and reducing them in complexity so that instructions can be performed in a single processor cycle. This is accomplished through high-level compilers that breakdown the more complex, less frequently used instructions into simpler instructions. Thus, allowing the RISC architecture to im-plement a smaller instruction set that utilizes more registers and eliminating the need for microcode.
"The Alpha architecture is a 64-bit load and store RISC architecture designed with particular emphasis on speed, multiple instruction issue, multiple processors, and software migration from many operating systems." (1, pg. 1-1) Most recent CPU designs are superscalar and superpipelined. Superscalar means that the architecture provides two pipelines for executing multiple instructions in parallel. Superpipelining increases the number of pipeline stages, allowing for results from either pipeline to be simultaneously used to avoid stalls thus, improving data flow by removing data dependency. "The 21164 microprocessor is a superscalar pipelined processor manufactured using 0.5-micron CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semi-conducto...
... middle of paper ...
1. White papers on Alpha 21164, www.digital.com , July 1996
2. Building a new PC - Catching up on Technology, Morris Rosenthal (1999)
3. How does the Pentium II processor achieve its performance benefits?, www.compucon.com/arch7, June 1997
4. Intel MMX Pentium, www.bdti.com/procsum/mmx_pent, Berkley Design Technology, Inc. 1997
5. Introduction to the Intel Architecture MMX™ Technology, White papers Chapter 1, http://developer.intel.com/drg/mmx/Manuals/prm/prm_chp1
6. Systems Architecture, Second edition, Stephen D. Burd, pg. 162-164 Course Technology (1998)
7. Alpha 21164 Microprocessor Hardware Reference Manual, Digital Equipment
Corporation, Maynard, Massachusetts (July 1996)
9. Alpha Architecture Handbook, Digital Equipment Corporation, Maynard Massachusetts (1996)
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the 2006 hit movie Alpha Dog Emile Hirsch plays the role of a young marijuana dealer named Johnny Truelove. Supplied by his father Sonny, Johnny distributed marijuana to buyers with the help of his closest friends . This act of deviancy gave him power and authority over the people In his life. Even so much authority that he could have someone killed by just a simple request. Throughout the film there were many characters that played a critical role in the kidnapping and murder of Zack Mazursky.... [tags: Criminology, Crime, Alpha Dog, Sociology]
1094 words (3.1 pages)
- Celeron or Pentium II. The computer industry is flourishing because of the advent of new, powerful processors. Recently, Intel Corp. released its Pentium II-450 MHz chip: the fastest processor on the planet. But because the chip is overpriced, Intel is also marketing the downgraded version of a PII, the inexpensive Celeron-333 which has a 128K cache compared to the PII’s 512K cache. To potential computer buyers, this situation presents a dilemma because they must decide whether to opt for price (i.e.... [tags: Research Papers]
3447 words (9.8 pages)
- Alpha Natural Resources’ total revenue earned during 2013 of $4.9 billion declined approximately 29% when compared to revenue earned during 2012. This is owed primarily to decreased coal revenues of approximately $1.8 billion. This decline in coal revenue is largely owed to lower sales volumes. Additionally during 2013, the company realized a 26.8% decrease in Freight and Handling revenues and Other Revenues declined a staggering 30.2%, resulting in the overall decrease of revenue. The decline in Freight and Handling revenues is directly attributed to the decrease in export shipments of coal in addition to declining freight rates.... [tags: Income statement, Asset, Expense]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- The Alpha by UbTech is a robot that was created to be more than just a robot. The device dances, tells stories, does workout exercises, Kung Fu, somersaults, plays soccer, and much more just with the push of a button ("Ubtech-Alpha 1S robot", 2016). Although the design of robot looks somewhat aesthetically pleasing due to its contour bias and effect of color, the design of the app is not good. It lacks the 80/20 rule and accessibility when it comes to language, the robot itself violated the expectancy of the user.... [tags: Robot, Android, 2016, Robotics]
1059 words (3 pages)
- Recently Intel introduced their newest line of the Pentium 4 processors with the new Prescott core. In this paper I will discuss how the Pentium 4 processor works and the changes that have been made since its release, but mainly on the modifications in the newest Pentium 4's with the Prescott core. I will also briefly compare the performance levels of some of the different types of Pentium 4's. The Pentium 4 line of processors encompasses a large range of clock speeds, from 1.7GHz up to 3.6GHz in the Prescott chip.... [tags: Intel CPU Central Processing Units]
1587 words (4.5 pages)
- An alpha dog is the literal leader of the pack. All dogs respect him (or her) as a superior and defer to his authority. It is crucial to be a human “alpha dog” in order to maintain control over a pack of six or sixty dogs. If the dogs will not follow your commands, a situation dangerous to the dogs will result. Becoming an alpha dog is more of an art than a science. Different approaches will work but a few basic rules apply: · Learn all of the dogs’ names and personalities. · Be assertive, especially with high-rank dogs.... [tags: Animal Behavior]
953 words (2.7 pages)
- Comparing the Eras: Puritan vs Present In the Bible I follow it is said that Jesus is Mother Mary’s adored son, “Flesh of my flesh and Blood of my blood,” and in fact any child is a being created by the bond between the parents, flesh of their flesh and blood of their blood. Whether a child was born during the Puritan era, or born as of yesterday, the birth of the child would remain unchanged, but what is not evident is whether there is any similarity in the upbringing of a child between the two different eras.... [tags: Comparing Compare Contrast Essays]
1188 words (3.4 pages)
- Comparing Illustrations of H. A. and Margret Rey's Opposites and Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Peter Rabbit Margret Rey and husband H.A. Rey are well known for their writing and illustrating the Curious George books. This paper is going to look at the way H. A. and Margret Rey and Beatrix Potter as authors and illustrators use images to express their feelings through these characters. H. A. and Margret Rey's Opposites, and Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Peter Rabbit will be compared and contrasted.... [tags: Compare Contrast Comparing]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- Comparing a Sports Car and Minivan I have always been a sports car lover, but when my family increased in size to the point that finding a sports car that would meet my needs would be almost impossible, I decided to consider a minivan. While a sports car was an unrealistic possibility, giving it up would not be easy. The sports car and the minivan would both fulfill the basic requirement of reliable transportation, but I had to consider the differences among size, maneuverability and affordability.... [tags: Vehicle Car Van Comparing Contrast Essays]
578 words (1.7 pages)
- Comparing Two Love Poems, 'Our Love Now' and 'To His Coy Mistress' Poetry has been around now for many decades, it is a form of writing that can be expressed in many different forms of style, context and language. The majority of poetry is love or war poetry, this is because love and war have many different view points form every individual person therefore no love or war poem can be the same due to this emotion involved. I.e., in a love poem you are writing your own personal feelings about or for a loved one, no other person can have these exact feelings, it is a way of opening out your heart.... [tags: Compare and Contrast Comparing]
1001 words (2.9 pages)