As the world evolves, the number of problems facing it increases with each passing day. The population numbers of many species are rising extensively. Several environmental factors along with scientific factors combine, resulting in over-population. As more buildings, homes, and businesses materialize, natural habitats where animals live are destroyed, leaving certain species intruding in rural areas where they once roamed freely. One particularly example of this problem is the black bear population in New Jersey. The black bear population is growing too quickly while their natural habitat is rapidly decreasing. The Division of Fish and Wildlife estimates the black bear population in the state of New Jersey to be over 1,000. The same experts also estimate that in five years, the black bear population will double and prove its extremely fast rate of growth. As the black bears’ natural feeding grounds disappear, the reported number of incidents between bears and humans in New Jersey is on the rise. The black bear population is disrupting urban life by causing property damage, breaking into homes and cars, killing livestock and pets, and founding a general feeling of fear in the community. People feel the need to protect themselves, pets, livestock, and property. This issue affects a large percent of New Jersey residents and calls for measures. Three possible solutions to addressing this issue are conducting legalized hunts by hired professional hunters, targeting and euthanizing overly problematic bears, or rejecting the killing concept and dealing with the problem in several different, non-violent ways.
The first possible solution to control the black bear populat...
... middle of paper ...
... continue acting aggressively, and to fund programs teaching society ways to coexist with the bears without killing them. The Division’s Wildlife Control Unit is dealing with the complaints on this serious problem associated with an expanding bear population as best it can, but its resources are limited. A long-term solution is in great need, but until an concrete solution surfaces, interactions between bears and humans are inevitable and conflicts will continue to become more frequent as the number of bears grow. The community remains almost equally split over the controversial solutions to the problem. Although this issue is a specific one, it boils down to whether or not it is humane to kill another animal. This age-old question is the core of the matter and society must come to an agreement on the answer to this question before any improvements can occur.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- West Orange is a suburban township that’s located in central Essex County, New Jersey, United States. The district of West Orange is highly involved with the community, the safety of the citizens involved and try to interact with them as in activities too. Many residents/citizens move from different townships into West Orange because it’s considered as a safe environment especially, for good school standards for children. As in, when someone asks, “In what city do you live in?” and your response would be West Orange.... [tags: Crime, Police, Criminology, New Jersey]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- The 2008 financial crisis gave birth to one of the most significant economic periods in the history of the United States, The Great Recession. People coast to coast found themselves buried so deeply by financial ruin that foreclosing on homes, ditching costly health insurance, and filing for bankruptcy became the societal norm. The country had become a house-less and jobless nation in the blink of an eye. In less than a year, the national unemployment rate had nearly doubled and left economists painting a grim future.... [tags: Unemployment, Employment, Cory Booker, New Jersey]
2394 words (6.8 pages)
- I chose to talk about a Motion Picture Palace in New Jersey because it is my father’s hometown and it has a significant meaning to my family and me. The name of the Motion Picture Palace I chose is the “Jersey City Loews.” This theater is located in Jersey City, New Jersey, in a well-known business district, residential area, and transportation center, which is also a popular entertainment and shopping area called “Jersey Square.” This theater was inspired by the Baroque/Rococo era style and was designed by the architectural firm Rapp and Rapp.... [tags: New York City, New Jersey, Secaucus, New Jersey]
745 words (2.1 pages)
- When I first looked at this final assignment, I immediately thought of a few friends that might be able to help me out completing this final assignment. I was completely incorrect and surprised at the same time. I did not think my friends would say no to me. I’m guessing that my friends didn’t want to share their childhood experiences with me or no one and I totally respect that. Honestly, I didn’t know what to do next. So I went to my parents’ house one evening to ask them if they know anyone from a different ethnicity or culture that I can interview him or her for a school assignment.... [tags: Family, United States, New Jersey, Time]
1075 words (3.1 pages)
- Gun control has been a hot topic for very long time. People on the anti- gun control side believe that gun ownership is a Constitutional right backed by the Second Amendment. The anti-gun believe that you should be able to posses and own any firearm. They also believe that gun laws only restrict the law abiding citizens. Pro-gun control believe that guns are the backbone to our crime problem. They also believe that gun laws help keep guns of the street and deter crime. The Second Amendment reads," A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" (Caplan p32).... [tags: 2nd Amendment Constitution The Right To Bear Arms]
1288 words (3.7 pages)
- In this wonderful world that we subsist in it has its fluctuating limits where in life an individual can have successes and fame to being unsuccessful. Life is precious, the way one can conserve it and their health is performing certain procedures that help maintain and sustain the human body. In addition, there are different elements that occur to impair a person’s health like physical and mental disorders, bacterial infections, and viral infections. These illnesses can cause minor to major fragments in a person’s life.... [tags: Abstinence, AIDS, New Jersey, HIV, history,]
2033 words (5.8 pages)
- “Slavery and Its Effect On The Uprising Of A New World” In the 17th century, Africans were taken from their homeland and forced into slavery in the New World. Once there, they were exploited for profit by European settlers. Despite mainstream historical accounts, it was African-Americans who built the foundation of the American economy, which eventually made it a super power. This essay will illustrate how Blacks survived in a hostile, racist environment by specifically looking at the psychological and physical brutality of slavery.... [tags: Slavery Essays]
1778 words (5.1 pages)
- William Faulkner’s short novel, The Bear "The Bear" is a short novel in an anthology that begins in Yoknapatwpha County sometime after the Civil War. The story deals with loyalty, honor, truth, bravery, courage, fear, nature, history and choices. Cleanth Brooks best described this story by saying, "Faulkner's villains do not respect nature and their fear of it has nothing in common with the fear of the Lord or with awe in the presence of the divine." (Brooks 149) In the story, we find a bear that has learned to outwit and survive hunters for years.... [tags: Bear]
1034 words (3 pages)
- Black Bears The black bear is the smallest North American bear. The adults are usually less than six feet long and stand about two to three feet tall at shoulders. The weight of a black bear varies between 125-500 ponds. They have small eyes and rounded ears. Also their snout is very long. Each paw has five very strong claws, which is used for tearing, digging, and climbing. One single hit from the front paw is enough to kill an adult deer. A black Bear is a true carnivore, but if not prevented the black bear could be a huge problem to humans.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1602 words (4.6 pages)
- Gun Control in the United States News is all around us and is readily available to everyone. There are many flaws in the system that hurts the authenticity of the news when you see it. The media is indirectly part of the political system. Most news is either considered liberal or conservative by many. The media is often considered to be biased. The reason for this is because they do not act neutral on the things that they report on. They usually give their point of view and tend to warp the information so it’s easily digestible by the average person.... [tags: Second Amendment The Right To Bear Arms]
734 words (2.1 pages)