"The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites”(Jefferson). Atheism is the belief that God does not exist and Judaism believes in only a unitary God and Christianity believes in the Trinity of God. This natural progression might be thought of as the stair steps to truth, but whose truth is the real question we need to answer, and I can assure you that it cannot be answered in a mere 8 pages. Disregard you’re current opinion and give merit to each point of view, and then decide which is right for you.
“As of 1994 there were an estimated 240 million atheists around the world comprising slightly more than 4 percent of the world’s population, including those who profess atheism, skepticism, disbelief, or irreligion”(Michael). Disbelief in God might be considered arrogant, but as you can see the group we refer to as atheists includes not only simple-minded imbeciles, but also the great American diplomat, Thomas Jefferson. “Atheists are frequently asked what atheism has to offer as opposed to religion. To answer this question, I need to assume that there are no gods or supernatural entities to reward us with a peaceful eternity if we follow some established morality. If the reason for this assumption is proven false, then the question is meaningless, as atheism ceases to exist”(Goluboff). A strong one-sided statement that gives little attention the fact that we presently...
... middle of paper ...
...hristians and society from doing wrong or not adhering to God’s laws. When I mentioned appealing I was being sarcastic because hell is not considered appealing in Christian belief. Hell could be defined as living your worst nightmare for eternity. Hell is a prison for those who didn’t believe, and this prison sentence goes without the luxury of parole or a predetermined amount of prison time. To the contrary, this is a sentence for eternity.
Conclusion: Which do you believe?
This report has presented Atheism, Judaism, and Christianity and within each there is more to be learned and studied. I would encourage anyone to do a great deal more studying than this report before they decide which is the right choice for them. Just be very sure that your choice is the right one, because if you choose the wrong one you could pay the ultimate price, your soul.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Atheism and Religion Definitions and Distinctions of Atheism When we talk about religion, we are just referring to a customary presumption regarding some sacred and supernatural power. Religion mainly revolves around the presence of holy places, a set code of laws and various practices. Someone who does not believe in any religion is said to be irreligious. Some religions believe in the existence of a God or gods while others do not. Theism is the credence in the existence of a supernatural being.... [tags: Atheism, God, Religion, Nontheism]
968 words (2.8 pages)
- The Arguments Against the Arguing Atheism Argument If this was an essay on English grammar, alliteration would be the culpable culprit. The empiricist’s notions of ‘knowledge’ --i.e. what can be known and how—and by whom, or rather, from what perspective/view/vantage— veer away from metaphorical language as aversions either from logic or rational observation within space and time; any argument based outside the data is therefore absent relevant meaning. It would seem that many atheistic notions prevalent in general western industrialized societies, while rarely comprising any orthodox, organized or consistent set of rules, are nonetheless increasingly pervading the culture, and in some r... [tags: Atheism, God, Human, Theism]
1579 words (4.5 pages)
- Mackie in his paper Evil and Omnipotence, constructs an argument against the idea of the possibility of a God existing that has the characteristics laid out by the main religions: Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. These characteristics include that God is omnipotent, or He is capable of stopping evil, and omni benevolent, or He wants to eliminate evil and He is entirely good. Mackie systematically goes through his logical thought process as well as his response to any type of criticism or alternative solution that might arise.... [tags: Atheism Religion Argument]
1968 words (5.6 pages)
An Intellectual Historical Approach Toward Nineteenth Century Debates Surrounding The Definition Of Atheism
- My own paper in the session took an intellectual historical approach toward nineteenth-century debates surrounding the definition of atheism. Such an approach focused on understanding the context of figures in the past and paying close attention to the language they used. While dictionaries and encyclopedias of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries explained that atheism was an irrational denial of God, Charles Bradlaugh, a leading atheist in the nineteenth century, contested this definition and proposed his own.... [tags: Atheism, Agnosticism, Secularism, God]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- Christians and Atheism The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable. – DC Talk, contemporary Christian band There are three general reasons why Christianity turns people off: 1) The teachings of Jesus and the Bible are not appealing; 2) particular aspects of the Bible (or the Bible as a whole) do not seem feasible (such as the existence of Hell or an omnipotent, all-loving God); or 3) some experience with a Christian or the institution of Church is/was offending or repelling.... [tags: Christianity Atheist Religion Essays]
2013 words (5.8 pages)
- Nonbelief as Support for Atheism The Canadian philosopher J.L. Schellenberg has recently put forward an argument for atheism based on the idea that God is supposed to be perfectly loving and so would not permit people to be deprived of awareness of his existence. If such a deity were to exist, then, he would do something to reveal his existence clearly to people, thereby causing them to become theists. Thus, the fact that there are so many non-theists in the world becomes good reason to deny the existence of God conceived of in the given way.... [tags: Religion Atheist God Papers]
3168 words (9.1 pages)
- Informative Speech Atheism Specific Purpose: To inform my audience about Atheism, why it important as well as the fundamental elements of being a part of it. I will discuss what Atheism is, how it originated, and the number of people who practice this religion. Central Idea: What is Atheism. Who. When. Where. And Why!. Organizational Pattern: Topical Introduction Forrester Church once said, “Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die.” In Christianity when one dies, a glorious heaven awaits them, where they will be adorned with beautiful wings, a shining halo, and all of their loved ones will be with them.... [tags: Religion]
1221 words (3.5 pages)
- Let’s start off by explaining what atheism is, it’s when you don’t believe in any form of an “Intelligent Creator” or God, as usually referred to as. The word atheism comes from the root word “theism”, which is when you believe in a God, or numerous Gods depending on the religion, and the prefix “a”, which means “not”. There are no set practices of atheism, or a set list of beliefs. To be an atheist you must believe what you would like and simply live your life without constraints based on what you believe is good or bad, not what you are told is good or bad.... [tags: Religion ]
1497 words (4.3 pages)
- Atheism "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites”(Jefferson). Atheism is the belief that God does not exist and Judaism believes in only a unitary God and Christianity believes in the Trinity of God.... [tags: Papers]
1741 words (5 pages)
- Atheism People in our society today who have the atheist point of view on religion, which is the belief that there is no god, are going against the so-called norms of society, and therefor are seen as deviant. Deviance is just an idea. Society determines what is deviant by the ideas they hold of what should be the norm. Atheism is seen as a negative deviance, or below the norm. They have a status that is placed on them in society. It doesn’t necessarily mean that they believe in evil, although that is how it is sometimes viewed from people in society who have a specific religion or faith.... [tags: Papers]
1440 words (4.1 pages)