Along the path of a river, from source to mouth, the river shows many
different features and is affected by several different processes.
These processes are going to be described and explained in the course
of this essay and diagrams will be used to back-up and justify my
A river can be simply divided into an upland or lowland river
environment. Upland features and processes occur at a higher altitude,
closer to the source of the river; lowland features and processes
occur at lower altitudes near the mouth of a river. A river's course
can be better divided into a young, mature and old stage.
A simple map of a river showing the different stages is shown below:
The main processes acting upon a river are:
These three main river processes can be further sub-divided into
"sub-processes". Erosion, for example, wears rocks away through 4
* Corrasion or abrasion
* Corrosion or erosion by solution
* Hydraulic action
Transportation can be further divided into:
A description of these processes and diagrams showing how they affect
the river are shown below:
Corrasion or abrasion
This is when smaller material which is suspended, rubs against the
river banks. This is more common in lowland areas, where the river is
at a low altitude and has a low gradient.
This is when boulders are being tra...
... middle of paper ...
Exfoliation or "onion" weathering
This occurs when a rock heats up in the sunshine and then cools down
at night. Over time the rock splits into layers and breaks up and
rolls into the river. This process occurs in Britain during the summer
If weathering continues valley sides will be worn down and more load
will be added to the river.
This can affect rivers in many ways. Humans can alter the shape and
course of a river by straightening the channel, building artificial
banks, dredging the channel and building bridges, viaducts and locks.
Humans also erode the sides of rivers by farming too close to the
river's edge and walking along paths which follow a river. Humans can
also pollute a river by dumping waste and chemicals into the water,
killing fish and vegetation.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As the dimensions of virtually every electronic device are pushed smaller and smaller, the ability to etch semiconductors with very small and very dense patterns becomes increasingly important. Increasing the pattern density naturally requires decreasing the lateral dimensions of the various structures etched. In order to maintain functionality at these sub-micron sizes, it is often necessary to etch structures with very large aspect ratios – on the order of 10-100. Dry etching using plasmas is the most efficient way to etch such structures; wet etch processes are crystal orientation dependent and it can be difficult if not impossible to obtain the desired aspect ratios.... [tags: Chemistry]
1997 words (5.7 pages)
- A Study of the Changes in River Processes This is a study of the changes in river processes along the long profile of a river. To study this we will use a sample river. The river the study will be based on Loughton Brook, which is a river situated in Epping Forest in Essex and is also a tributary of the river Thames. A journey will be made to the river and measurements will be made at three different sites. The measurements that were taken will be studied so conclusions can be made about the changes to characteristics of a river with distance downstream.... [tags: Papers]
4006 words (11.4 pages)
- We are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our products are precisely engineered and are known for their durability and resistance against pressure and temperature. Backed by the industry experience of 17 years, we are the prominent manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our range of products includes Engine Valve Seat Inserts, Ring and Header Work. The high quality valves that we manufacture are known for their resistance against extremely high temperature in the combustion chambers of four stroke engines that use natural gas, L.P.... [tags: Business Profile]
1789 words (5.1 pages)
- We are a renowned organization engaged in retailing and supplying of Audio & Visual Equipment, Sprung Back Scrappers and Polyurethane and Rubber Screen Decks & Liners. These are known for their durability, reliability and excellent performance. Owing to our experience of almost a decade in this field, we are engaged in offering our clients with a comprehensive range of LCD Projectors, Cordless Mike, Computers, Laptops and Audio Systems. Apart from these, we also provide Collar Mike, Sprung Back Scrapers and Polyurethane and Rubber Screen Decks & Liners.... [tags: Business Profile]
2230 words (6.4 pages)
- We are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of a wide range of Electrical Contacts for Starter and O.C.B. Carbon Brush, Brush Holder and Slip Ring Unit.// change sequencing, same as about us// Our range is acknowledged for optimum quality, efficiency and durability. We are counted as a prominent manufacturer and supplier of a comprehensive range of Electrical Contacts for Starters, O.C.B. Contacts, Carbon Brushes, Brush Holders, Slip Ring Unit and Flexible Cable. Moreover, we are also a stockist of Relay, Timers, PVC Cables, Copper Wire and Aluminum Wire.... [tags: Business Profile]
2279 words (6.5 pages)
- The Features and Processes Associated with Sea Level Change Water is the most powerful, destructive and creative force in the world in which we live. Over 60% of the total area of the earth in covered by water and as such has the largest effect on the shape of the land and the carving of new features. The changes that come about through the movement and change of state of water are various and encapsulate a multitude of factors. In this essay I am going to focus upon landforms that have been altered or changed through the process of water.... [tags: Environment Environmental Pollution Preservation]
3530 words (10.1 pages)
- REVIEW OF THE PROFILE OF CREATIVE ABILITIES DESCRIPTION. Good examiner's manual, the Profile of Creative Capabilities (PCA) was created mainly to recognize 'gifted students around creative thinking' (p. 7). Alternate uses include monitoring progress in creative-thinking classes and undertaking research. The items inside the PCA include two subtests of divergent thinking and two rating scales (Home and School). The rating scales have identical products. The examiner's manual instructs a college mental medical adviser or any other qualified test administrator the easiest method to administer and score some measures define the PCA.... [tags: Assessment ]
1670 words (4.8 pages)
- India Places .com About Us India Places is the premium website on tourism that gives details about the important tourist’s places in India. It covers the whole lot of places across the country. Every part of the country is covered under this. The most sought after places in India that people wants to visit, all the details regarding the important tourist’s spots, locations to visit, the details of hotels and resorts to stay are provided on the site.... [tags: Business Profile ]
857 words (2.4 pages)
- How Natural Processes Operate at Coastal Geographic Environment Natural Processes are actions or events that have natural causes, which result in natural events. The three main coastal environment processes that operate at Muriwai are Coastal Erosion, Coastal Transportation and Coastal Deposition. The elements that interact to produce natural processes are wind, waves and tides. Each phenomenon at Muriwai's coastal geographic environment has been produced by interaction. Coastal Erosion is a process at Muriwai that gradually wears away the rock particles of the earth's surface, transporting them to another location.... [tags: Natural Processes Environmental Essays]
1040 words (3 pages)
- Leadership Profile Paper This paper will profile Jeff Hawkins, Chief Technology Officer (CTO) for PalmOne, Inc. examining qualities that Mr. Hawkins exhibits that make him influential leader. The paper will also examine details of the business strategy that make this man an exceptional innovator and his contribution to eBusiness technology. Vision Jeff Hawkins a graduate of Cornell Universityis best known as “the inventor who, in 1994, took blocks of mahogany and plywood into his garage and emerged with a prototype for the PalmPilot” (PC Magazine, 2000).... [tags: essays research papers]
837 words (2.4 pages)
- Investigating the Resistance of a 12 Volt Bulb When the Current Changes
- Investigating Whether a Sugared Solution Has an Effect on Potatoes
- Activity of the Enzyme Catalase with Hydrogen Peroxide
- The Effect of Substrate Concentration on the Rate of Reaction Between Yeast Catalase and Hydrogen Peroxide
- The Effect of Sucrose Concentration on the Mass of Potato Tissue