"Bring" "Get up Mike!" his mother shrieked up the stairs. "oh no"
groaned the reply because today as he knew all too well it was Monday,
and not any Monday it was his first day back from the summer break.
Gone were the days he could relax and enjoy the sunshine, He was now
back to the real horror of life, the shocker of the year: School!
He stood up wearily and yawned, stretching his long, thin arms out
wide and then rubbing his freckled face. He then dragged himself still
asleep into the bathroom which was through the jungle of books,
clothes and litter out into the hallway which was no bigger than the
length of a car. Turn left out of his room, go past his younger and
very irritating sister's room and then at the end of the hallway there
is a white door which has paint chipped off it and the hinges are
This is the bathroom, As you step into this room you are greeted by a
green toilet which has faded in colour and looks well used. Above this
there are three windows. All of which you can't see through to give
you some privacy whilst washing. Left on the toilet there is a
matching faded sink. To make the complete set, on the last wall there
is a small rickety bath leaning carefully against the wall. All four
sides of the room are decorated with oddly shaped tiles which look
like they have been slapped onto the wall without much though or care.
The mortar is cracked and there is plaster everywhere. Anyone would
think a small child had done this bit of DIY. The bathroom is dimly
lit by a single bulb which has been neglected and without any sort of
covering. When you walk around the room you cant help but...
... middle of paper ...
...ullets or the silent
advancement of the gas.
Incomplete bodies are taken back to the trench and thrown into a wagon
- without any ceremony or even a prayer and a shell holes are littered
with half dead bodies groaning in their disturbed sleep. Today a young
man, only sixteen years old who had lied to the enlistment sergeant in
order to join-up lost his mind. After the orders to charge were given
he ran back to the trench with the shock of the shells and was shot by
the sergeant: how could he have done that? He shot one of his own men.
There is no glory in this war at all, the fact of the matter is that
we've been tricked into enlisting. This battlefield isn't glorious,
our country lets us lie here in sludge and mud, be gassed and shot and
blown up by shells - we're fighting a politicians war and we are the
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The past has a funny way of catching up with people. Sometimes, those individuals relish revisiting the olden days. For others, the past is something to be hidden away and never spoken of for fear of stirring up cruel memories and disturbing secrets. For the four members of the Tyrone family, the past is an escape, but also an inescapable prison. Each character in this play longs to return to a point in the past where they were happy, yet they are also haunted by their respective pasts. Some of the Westons of Osage County are also haunted by the events that transpired in the past.... [tags: Tracy Letts play analysis]
1944 words (5.6 pages)
- How Old Equipment from the Past Differs from Present Day Equipment Black and white movies show volunteer people distinguishing l fires with a bucket and water. Color movies today show trained firemen distinguishing frightful fires with a water hose and fire truck that has a capability of one hundred men. The history of fire has been around since starting hundreds of years ago thus evolving modern day fire equipment and technologies. Over the centuries people have learned from controlling fires through studying fires, reconstructing flame-resistant clothing, designing and manufacturing higher quality technology equipment is more suitable for fire on any level .... [tags: Black and White Movies, Color Movies, Technology]
1107 words (3.2 pages)
- Not a day goes past that without hearing about the presidential candidates. The local polls, debates, drama, and the daily attacks people in the political parties. I hear this information whether I want too or not. One can always be up to date when it comes to the upcoming election either on the television news, or radio, and reading about it in the daily newspaper. And the presidential election seems to be what everyone is talking about or using social media to express their own personal sides.... [tags: United States, President of the United States]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- America Must Awake from the Nightmare of the Past to the Light of a New Day Nostalgia is America's fatal disease. We love to "go back," to talk of the good old days, to wish we could return to an era forever gone. This rhetoric that warms our hearts, though, is, ironically, the impetus for our national self-destruction. Nostalgia valorizes a past that never was, casts a dark shadow of distortion across the present, and prevents us from projecting a viable, sincere vision of a better future.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
2414 words (6.9 pages)
- The Day of the Dead also known as Dia De Los Muertos occurs on November 2, the day after the Dia De lots Inocentes which happens to fall on November 1st ,which in translation means the day of the innocents or the day of the little angels. These rituals are highly known in Mexico, Latina America, Spain, Italy, South America , Philippines and some parts of the United States, they are mainly celebrated in Catholic based countries and people. It 's been a ritual and tradition that many indigenous people have been celebrating for the past 3000 years.... [tags: Death, Afterlife, Day of the Dead, Life]
1054 words (3 pages)
- Discourse sample 2: The second discourse example was by Enrique whose short story was about a boy who went swimming and got ate by a great white shark. In his discourse sample, he began the story with “one day a boy swimming” which demonstrates that he knows how to correctly begin the story. He also introduces the audience to the little boy, revealing he is aware that there is a character in every story. Although, he is missing the auxiliary verb “went” to create “one day a boy went swimming” he understands that a story consists of a beginning, a character(s), coordinating conjunctions, and a setting.... [tags: Past tense, Grammatical tense, Verb, Subject]
1425 words (4.1 pages)
- The Rise of Lady Day Lady Day, considered by many to be greatest jazz vocalist of all time, was praised during her career and even after her death. Holiday is looked at as one of the most influential women jazz music has ever had, but not many think of the journey she went through to become so widely respected. Through the the early years of her life, Billie dealt with abuse, rape, prostitution, and the death of a loved one. Even after going through these awful and traumatic events, she still overcame the loss of her childhood innocence and did amazing things with her life.... [tags: Lady Day, Billie Holiday, Jazz Vocalist]
1668 words (4.8 pages)
- The past, the present and the future. Can they exists at the same time. Today I was driving one of my best friends to the airport, she stayed for one week in Miami; while I was crying saying goodbye at the airport, I remembered the good time we had in the last week and how fast it passed. Now we are in the present, saying goodbye. This is how we start seeing we don 't have three separated times. In our minds time is always mixed with: past, present and future. Like professor Phillip Zimbardo said on the psychology of time video: we can be oriented at the time we choose, some people tend to worry excessively about the future and all they do is work for it; some can be past oriented either in... [tags: Time, Future, Present, Past]
744 words (2.1 pages)
- Gloria Naylor's Mama Day In 1988 Gloria Naylor wrote the novel Mama Day in hopes to show the world that one can either accept the hand they are dealt and make it come out to the advantage of themselves and others, or one can hide from their pain and live a life scared of what may come in the future. Mama Day is set on an island off the coast of South Carolina and Georgia that is inhabited by the descendants of a slave population. The main characters in the novel; Ophelia, Abigail and Miranda, also called Mama Day, all experienced a lot of pain in their lives; it is how they chose to deal with their experiences that sets them apart from each other.... [tags: Gloria Naylor Mama Day]
1471 words (4.2 pages)
- 	In the play Long Day’s Journey Into Night by Eugene O’Neill, the Tyrone family is haunted not by what is present in flesh facing them, but by memories and constant reminders of what has been the downfall of the family for years. " No it can never be now. But it was once, before you-" (72) [James Tyrone referring to the Morphine addiction of his wife, Mary, which attributed to the undoing of the family]. Their trials and tribulations are well documented by O’Neill through the proficient utilization of theme, characterization, plot, setting, and style.... [tags: Long Day's Journey into Night]
775 words (2.2 pages)