Starting with a story, Wilson captures the reader's attention by introducing the possibility of the world coming to an end. The story revolves around aliens who are watching the planet from satellites and are noticing the destruction humans are causing to the Earth. Some of the results human destruction has on the Earth include: "Atmospheric carbon dioxide rises to the highest level in 100,000 years. The ozone layer of the stratosphere thins, and holes open at the poles" (501). The aliens then patiently wait for the time when the Earth cannot handle the destruction from humans anymore and watch closely as fire engulfs the Earth. The story illustrates how human's interaction with the different aspects of the environment combines to destroy the...
... middle of paper ...
...ironmental deterioration put the very future of life at risk" (505). If scientists are stepping up and saying humans are doing wrong, then that should definitely be a sign to people that something needs to happen. Wilson uses these groups to demonstrate how people are trying to create solutions to the dilemma.
After reading the entire essay, one realizes the true destruction humans are causing to the Earth and that something must be done to help the environment. By using a variety of techniques throughout his essay, Wilson emphasizes his point that there is still hope for humanity if humans act now. Humans are the only ones who can save the Earth from extinction, but time is limited. If the majority of humans act like environmentalists then the phrases "the Earth is going to expire by the year 2050" or "the world's a ticking time bomb" will cease to exist.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Suicidal ideation is a medical term for thoughts about or an unusual preoccupation with suicide. The range of suicidal ideation varies greatly from fleeting to detailed planning, role playing, and unsuccessful attempts, which may be deliberately constructed to fail or be discovered, or may be fully intended to result in death. Although most people who undergo suicidal ideation do not go on to make suicide attempts, a significant proportion do. Suicidal ideation is generally associated with depression; however, it seems to have associations with many other psychiatric disorders, life events, and family events, all of which may increase the risk of suicidal ideation.... [tags: death, depression, disorders]
1734 words (5 pages)
- To live is a very fragile and misunderstood term. Countless lives are taken unwillingly each day by mere accidents, while others are lost fighting to defend their countries’ beliefs. Some of these lives grow old, and some do not, but many are not being lived in the way they were intended. Somewhere along the lines in our society, people have the idea that their own life might not be worth living. Ending their life is called suicide, and it is becoming more and more popular among teenagers in this generation.... [tags: suicide, bullying, suicidal tendencies]
1796 words (5.1 pages)
- ... They stabbed some women in the vagina and disemboweled others… Pregnant women had their stomachs slashed open and were left to die” (Glover 58). Although for some, the My Lai Massacre may seem less important than the Holocaust, for example, because of the smaller number of deaths, Glover does not see it that way. In his eyes, it does not matter how many deaths there were; just the mere fact that humans have let themselves do such obscene acts to other human beings is what matters. But what is even more important than those past events is how humanity, as a whole, can stop events such as the My Lai Massacre from ever happening again.... [tags: genocide, humanity, war]
1323 words (3.8 pages)
- When hearing about atrocities such as genocides and other crimes against humanity, one tends to question what humanity is worth. Does humanity really have a “value”. Maintaining humanity is important because it gives people hope and faith. Religion is based largely upon kindness and humanity, and many people are faithful to a religion as a source of hope. Humanity is threatened when atrocities, such as genocide, happen. Millions are killed, and this is a horrible crime that often happens as a result of war.... [tags: Crimes Against Humanity, Genocides, People]
1415 words (4 pages)
- Despite contemplating about taking pills to kill herself, which conveys a desire of minimal aggression to herself, since this method of suicide doesn’t imply any pain or sufferings, Laura couldn’t follow through with her plan. In turn, she chooses to “kill her family,” instead of herself by leaving them once her second child was born and denying their very existence, in what can be understood to be one of the primitive conflicts of the depressive suicidal: the wish to die, to kill, or be killed.... [tags: Suicide, Death, Mrs Dalloway]
1096 words (3.1 pages)
- This paper will have discussion about suicidal tendencies. People may have suicidal tendencies for a variety of reasons in which this paper will explain. For example people can find that there are challenges in life that may arise, and seem difficult to deal with. As in the stages of adolescence life there is great complexity during which several risk behaviors may emerge, among them suicidal tendencies, suicidal ideation, and self harming (Ferrer & Kircher, 2015). This paper will also describe the common precipitation and cultural factors in suicide.... [tags: Suicide, Sociology, Parasuicide, Bipolar disorder]
1312 words (3.7 pages)
- Depressed and Suicidal Patients The thought of life coming to an end is a scary thought for anyone, but for someone who is depressed and suicidal it may seem to them as a release of some kind. In reality is suicide going to solve these patient’s problems. The patient may think so, but it will not solve any issues or problems. Suicide is a pertinent solution that no one can return from. My experience with depressed and suicidal people or patients is small. This is why I chose to write about patients who are depressed and suicidal.... [tags: mental illnesses, permanent solution]
1198 words (3.4 pages)
- Suicidal tendencies in adolescents begin around the ages of 10 through 19, with warning signs, prevention, treatment, and the causes and effects it has on the human psyche. Suicide is when someone decides to take his or her own life because and are suffering from a painful mental treatable illness and have lost hope in who they are. Because when hope is lost, some feel like suicide is the only solution to truly make the adolescents pain go away permanently. Scientific evidence that shows the people who have committed suicide had a diagnosable treatable mental disorder or substance abuse disorder (The National Institute of Mental Health, 2010).... [tags: psychological tendencies in teenagers]
1128 words (3.2 pages)
- The detailed gospel of Luke is written to Theophilus, (meaning, loved by God) by Luke, a Gentile doctor who was a possible slave and close companion to Paul. Luke wrote to Theophilus to prove with certainty that Jesus is God. The book of Luke, showed Jesus as God who paid attention to the women, the weak and the poor, and Luke noted detail before the miracles and after including the reaction of the crowds, which he described with the words, astonished, amazed, and wonder. Luke carefully researched as written in Luke 1:1-4, Jesus through the eye witness of the disciples and the intimate voice of Mary, as he retold her song of Praise in chapter 1:46-55.... [tags: Jesus, Christianity, Gospel of Luke]
1276 words (3.6 pages)
- Humanity I was sitting in my laundry room the other day sorting through piles of dirty laundry, courtesy of my seven year old son (who seems to change his clothes every five minutes) and I found myself thinking, "If he only knew the complexities of the Watershed, the Everglades, the South Florida Water Management District, and the Biscayne & Floridian Aquifers maybe he wouldn't change his clothes so often." But then again maybe if he knew these things he would, like so many people in South Florida, not care.... [tags: Environemtn Humans Humanity Essays]
1129 words (3.2 pages)