It was a hot, humid day with severe weather predicted for the afternoon. My last class for the day ended at 1:15 pm. My plans were already set for the rest of the afternoon. The first thing on my agenda was to change into a more comfortable pair of shorts and a shirt. Next, I would drive to my friend John's house who had just gotten out of school. He was waiting for my arrival. We had been friends since we were little children and shared many of the same characteristics. As I arrived I noticed that the skies were gradually getting darker and that rain was beginning fall.
I decided that John should drive his car to the nearest shopping mall, mainly because I did not want to use my gas. At the mall, a few friends joined us. John and I shopped for the perfect running shoe. We were both running a half-marathon later that month. Once that was accomplished, me and the guys enjoyed a post-lunch meal and talked about any ridiculous thing that entered our minds.
On our way home, the rain started to fall rapidly. The rain drops were the size of grapes. The rain making contact with the hot pavement caused tremendous amounts of thick steam to rise up, impairing everyone's vision. Many cars were pulling over to the side of the road because it was nearly impossible to drive. Being invincible, we kept on going and did not pay attention to any of the obvious warning signals. We were able to get off the highway w...
... middle of paper ...
...tions to my head. My friend was not as fortunate. He suffered from multiple injuries to the head and chest. I later learned that while we were in the trauma room he passed away.
The similarity between the two of us was uncanny. We both played sports at a high level, we were good students, and even had the same job. What if I had driven that day? It could have easily been me instead of him. Many things can happen in life. However, I never counted on dreadful things to become reality, only hoped for good things. Our time spent together that day began as a usual trip to the mall and ended as a horrific adventure through the space between life and death. I should have never been such a cheap person by worrying about how much gas I waste. The most important thing that I learned from this experience was that there is no such thing as invincibility.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Throughout my eighteen years of life, my parents have told me on numerous occasions to be cautious when driving. They also told me to be alert when I am a passenger in a car. As a typical teenager, I thought that I was invincible and nothing could ever happen to me. On June 2, 2014 my invincibility expired. It was a hot, humid day with severe weather predicted for the afternoon. My last class for the day ended at 1:15 pm. My plans were already set for the rest of the afternoon. The first thing on my agenda was to change into a more comfortable pair of shorts and a shirt.... [tags: Autobiography Essay, Personal Narrative]
599 words (1.7 pages)
- In the episodic drama, Life is Strange, we follow Maxine Caulfield and her best friend Chloe Price. The two must work together in order to save Chloe’s best friend, Rachel Amber, who has been missing. Max maybe the main character but Chloe seems to be the real star of the show. Chloe is a rebellious nineteen-year-old girl in a somewhat broken home. She has a great personality, has mixed relationships with the others, and has the greatest part to play in the whole series. In the first episode, we meet Chloe in the girl’s restroom of the school Max goes to, called Blackwell Academy in Arcadia Bay, Oregon.... [tags: Life, Death, Interpersonal relationship, Friends]
711 words (2 pages)
- What were you thinking when you killed innocent Lennie. Some people believe that the killing of Lennie was like the killing of his puppy. Others feel it was comparable to the killing of Candy’s dog. Lennie, like his dog, was innocent and unaware of the cruel world around him. However, Lennie, with his physical strength, also killed many innocent beings, including a weak and innocent puppy and, killed a human being. In contradiction, Carlson killed Candy’s dog in an act of compassion to relieve an old and suffering animal.... [tags: innocent, compassion, death]
795 words (2.3 pages)
- Death is one of the hardest things to over come; while others have developed paganism for death it’s ultimately the scariest thing to face in life. Losing a best friend, a family member, or the love of your life. Therefore the death of someone special is definitely the hardest thing to face. Many people believe when someone dies, they’re sleeping, and they wake up when Jesus comes again and brings you to heaven with him, this is called Christianity, however, Buddhism believe when the body dies it disappears, but the mind goes on, which means you have no after life to experience.... [tags: Death, Life, Afterlife, Cicero]
769 words (2.2 pages)
- He came back into my life after that. Every night after I got off work I headed to his house, you never knew who was going to be there, a couple friends or a raging party, always a surprise but no matter what he always made sure I was ok and happy. He took care of me. He was my best friend again. A new routine started, Toots even started coming around. On those nights where no one came over and It was just us three again, it was perfect, and I loved it. We grew closer than we ever had before, Chris and I, don’t get me wrong I loved toots to death but Chris was on my level and we had so much more in common.... [tags: Laughter, Joke, 2007 singles, The Next Time]
1308 words (3.7 pages)
- Man’s Best Friend “To understand the process of attachment formation in young children has been a focal point in child development research for decades. However, young children’s attachments are not only with human beings; they also form bonds with companion animals, particularly dogs.” (Jalongo, 2015). When reading this quote, my first response was recalling the time I adopted my first newborn puppy. I was about 6 years old at the time we first visited the adoption center. I remember begging my parents for a dog at least once a day for a about a month or two, so when we went to the adoption center, I was brimming with happiness.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Developmental psychology]
701 words (2 pages)
- Man’s Best Friend The character in “A Blizzard under Blue Sky,” by author Pam Houston is clinically depressed, and desires to go winter camping it hopes to gain some relief from her daily stresses. The character views nature as something that is good for a person, and is somewhat rejuvenating. “ One of the things I love most about the natural world is the way it gives you what’s good for you even if you don’t know it at the time”(284). The character in “To Build a Fire” by author Jack London, is somewhat numb as far as emotions are concerned.... [tags: Literary Analysis, Pam Houston]
714 words (2 pages)
- Death of a Friend Last summer, a fifteen year old boy was enjoying the bright summer day with three of his friends. It was the 8th of July, and it started out as an ordinary day. The sky was as blue as can be, and the birds and trees made the beautiful surroundings complete. The four boys were hanging out in the Creek behind the tennis courts. They were "boys being boys" exploring the local stream and its adventures that were waiting to be unraveled. The boys were hanging out at the side of the creek where it was like a miniature canyon wall.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- My Best Friend is Dead My best friend and I were together all the time, doing nothing without the other. But one day I realized that somewhere along the road somebody failed her, and every day I cannot help but wonder if it might have been me. Everything she went through, I was there for her, but I guess some things are too hard for even friendship. Not a day goes by that I don't remember. How could I ever forget. I'm sharing this story for the first time since it happened. The last time we had no worries, well, that were apparent, was on August 20 of '97.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
592 words (1.7 pages)
- My Best Friend It was raining the day Mark Turner died. On a dark, rainy summer night, he foolishly got in the passenger side of a 1998 midnight blue Eclipse. His 19 year old cousin Sam, was the driver, and Sam had a little too much to drink that night. At about three in the morning, they were leaving a party that one of Sam's friends threw. They were rushing home, because they already had missed curfew by two hours. Not aware of his surroundings, Sam carelessly got on the wrong side of the road.... [tags: Friendship Essay Personal Narrative]
929 words (2.7 pages)