Looking into insecure lives and conformity, shows how self-help products have made its way into people's lives by profiting rather than a tool to aid. The self-help business today is a multi-billion dollar industries marketed and promoted with extravagance to target people who wish to self improve. Self-help products have claimed to help people lose their weight, improve their relationships, help relieve their anxiety/depression and show them ways of becoming a millionaire. Self-help products do not serve its purpose as it might have claimed, because it is merely a gimmick or a tool to deceive consumer into buying. Everyone has flaws within themselves that they wish to fix and further improve on; after all, life is about making mistakes and improving from it. However, most of us are victims of marketed products because we want to achieve the perfection; although, perfection is just an illusion. When some of these flaws become an obstacle to our daily lives, we search for help by means of books, advertisements, tapes, and therapeutic remedy.
Self-help books today is a multi-billion dollar industry because they are able to attract readers who seek to self-improve with the promise of delivering recipe's to success and self improvement and this has kept readers reading in vain. Self-help books attract vulnerable people by appealing to their weaknesses, using significant titles like "How to think like a Millionaire, with subtitles, The Success Secrets of Ten millionaires asking Do you really want to be a millionaire? Wealth is not relied upon luck; this remarkable book has captured the essence that has led to success. Now you have the opportunity of achieving your own dreams." (Poissant) We are talkin...
... middle of paper ...
...person's will and interest that will ensure the improvement in their lives.
Although some of these material claim to be helpful but most of them have not been tested for its validity. These materials are promoted excessively to convince buyers about its benefit. In any case that if these treatments does not work, often consumers blame themselves for not being diligent with the instruction. Its time for consumers to realize the misconception of self-help product and start believing in themselves and their own ability to overcome what life has placed for them as a challenge. After all, breaking the habit, coping with stress and wanting success is all part and parcel of life. Self-help books, aromatherapy and subliminal tapes are all just a gimmick to get as many consumers as possible to believe in the unexplainable and non credible fact of self-help product.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The group I attended was Weight Watchers, its purpose is to provide support and resources to members looking to lead healthier lives and lose weight. It is a health based self-help group, facilitated by a member who has had success on the Weight Watcher’s program (Kurtz, 2004). All meetings are open and information regarding times and locations can be easily found on their website. Weight Watchers offers individuals to attend the first meeting for free. After which, participation is on a paid basis and varies depending on the plan purchased.... [tags: Obesity, Dieting, Health, Weight loss]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- In today’s society, the key factor of entrepreneurship is to allow people to become self-supporting. Entrepreneurship is an employ approach that helps lead people to financial self-sufficiency, even for people with disabilities. Entrepreneurship supplies people with disabilities and their relatives with the prospective to consider and establish enterprises as the boss, rather than just being an employee. Many possibilities come from entrepreneurs and their concepts that they contribute to the world.... [tags: financial self-sufficiency]
969 words (2.8 pages)
- There are innumerable diets on the market and self-help books, these diets all taught weight loss, better health and happiness. The Paleo diet, also known as the Hunter-Gather, Caveman, or Sone Age diet came into public attention in 1985 when Dr. Eaton published an article in the New England Journal of Medicine arguing “that human genes coevolved with their surrounding nutritional environment” making “our genes…dependent on nutrients in those foods” (Challem, 2013). The Paleo diet is based on consuming foods that are believed to have been eaten by early humans, cavemen or Neanderthals.... [tags: Nutrition, Eating, Time, Food]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- In our current society, advertising is approached in different ways when trying to appeal to more of a male or female audience. Companies who use marketing and advertising for the end goal of selling products tend to aim their advertisements to the gender that is most likely to buy the products (Gender Matters). Unilever is a company that sells multiple brands and different types of product; however, two brands that they sell, dove and axe, take opposite approaches when it comes to advertising and this has been seen as a controversial issue with different portrayals of women (Said et al.).... [tags: Marketing, Advertising, Brand, Self-esteem]
1259 words (3.6 pages)
- During my three years as a CNA at Good Samaritan Nursing home. I’ve noticed an increase in the amount of wasted products. I admit that I’m angry and deeply concerned about the waste of water and food at my nursing home. I’ve observed and conclude that wasting products are not only the fault of patients, but also of the members of the staff. After I underline the importance of water and food in our daily life and explain the ways they are wasted I’ll suggest some challenging yet feasible solutions to break the cycle of unnecessary waste.... [tags: water, food, showers, solutions]
1104 words (3.2 pages)
- There are so many weight loss products on the market, it 's difficult to know which product is best. It 's confusing to say the least and it 's frustrating. Everyone is making the same claim of being superior to the other. They say they are all natural but when you read the ingredients, it list all of this other stuff that 's almost impossible to understand. Garcinia Cambogia has been in the news for a while now and with some pretty awesome feedback. It claims that you will lose with and you won 't have to exercise or change your diet.... [tags: Obesity, Nutrition, Dieting, Weight loss]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- In order to launch and maintain a business, contracts for services, employment, leases, and products are needed. First, a business owner must acquire a lease of property contract. This contract is needed so that I will have property to operate my restaurant. The provisions that should be included in this contract are the term of the tenancy, premises clause, exclusive use clause, assignment clauses, contingency clause, option to extend, and the good guy guaranty clause. These provisions will reduce my restaurants potential liability.... [tags: Employment, Discrimination, Contract]
1461 words (4.2 pages)
- I have had experience with the differences between elasticity and inelasticity in products that I regularly see and purchase. I know how certain marketable products such as food and appliances are priced such that they, in some sense, gauge current consumer demand for them. For example, a new book oftentimes is initially valued at a significant price, perhaps somewhere around thirty dollars depending on the projected popularity of the book; however, the price of the book will often lower or maybe even increase, though this is a rare circumstance, as time passes and preliminary customers, having purchased the book, offer their reviews, whether they are deprecating or acclaiming, and the price... [tags: purchase, pricing and demand fluctuation]
1339 words (3.8 pages)
- Soft & Tough is a new male focused cosmetic products that aid in reducing aging effects on the skin while also providing sun protection. Anti –aging moisturizer is not a new concept as it has dominated the market for years, focused on women. Now is the time for such a product to be introduced to now focus as a male anti-aging, UV protection moisturizer to take advantage of such a wide market and to “emulate the same success women Anti-aging products” (Golding 2009) has had for years. Soft & Tough should focus on “authenticity, craftsmanship and performance” (Tungate, 2008) of the product because that is the foundation of men’s interest with regards to any products.... [tags: Advertising]
763 words (2.2 pages)
- Help desks must help themselves: With no relief in sight, help desks need to be given the right resources.(Industry Trend or Event)Author/s: Stannie HoltThe internal help desk has a precarious position in today's enterprise. Like Rodney Dangerfield, the help desk staff often gets no respect from its internal customers nor from executives who see them only as a cost center. But other times, like Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars, they're your only hope.Insiders say that even though information technology is essential to productivity these days, minding the help desk is a thankless job whose burden will only increase over the next few years as IT's size and complexity multiplies.... [tags: essays research papers]
768 words (2.2 pages)