If you have ever missed a test or failed to turn in a major assignment on time, then you know that the longer you’ve been gone, the harder it becomes to work on that late project. What can you do to break the cycle of avoidance and delay?
Realize that your absence weighs heavier on your mind than the other person’s. Advisors are not losing sleep over late dissertation proposals and journal editors aren’t agonizing over missing manuscripts. The project is more important to you than anyone else.
Remember, when you do get in touch, the person is unlikely to be angry and punitive. We tend to be much harsher about our own tardiness than we are about other people’s delays. Advisors know it is difficult to write dissertation drafts. Journal editors are accustomed to academics who take a long time to turn around R&R manuscripts.
Lower rather than raise your standards when you’re running late. Don’t try to make your work more polished to make up for taking so long. Just try to get something sent out for feedback. End the cycle by chanting to yourself “A done dissertation is a good dissertation” or “A published paper is the only paper that counts.”
Get in touch even before you have the “completed product” ready for review. Try to get in touch as soon as you know that you are going to miss the deadline. Let the person know that you are working on your project. Facing your fear of the other person’s disapproval and re-establishing contact, will help lower your anxiety so that you can get back to work
Beware of setting deadlines you won’t be able to meet. If you are running late with a project, and you decide to resume contact, try not to set yourself...
... middle of paper ...
...or the point. You’re late. You’re sorry. You’re now doing your best to complete the project.
Try a “practice run” before clicking on the send button. I often advise coaching clients to write a draft of a difficult email without typing in the address to prevent sending an unfinished message accidentally. Often, clients report that once they’ve drafted a short ‘hello’ it feels surprisingly easy to send the email.
Keep in mind that even if you get a negative reaction when you revive contact, at least you’ve faced your dread of the unknown. Anticipating how the other person may respond to your missed deadline can feel like a black hole of potential admonishment. Even if your advisor or colleague is angry, at least you can begin to repair the relationship rather than allow resentment to fester. Get in touch and get it over with. You are likely to experience relief.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A Lesson Learned Many schools try different methods of teaching and tutoring to increase test scores and graduation rates; Hot Springs High School is one of those schools. When the School Board noticed students stopped doing their work, they decided to take the issue to the next level. Due to this sudden acknowledgement, the “ICU List” was born. Little did they know, the ICU List has made students even lazier, and has created issues for the students who actually do their work. The ICU List is comprised of students in every grade who did not turn in their assigned work on time.... [tags: High school, Education, College, School]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- My Test Tool Kit assignment had four components. In the first part, I was required to take and also administer the Career Ability Placement Survey (CAPS) to a person that I chose. score, and interpret. Based on this experience, I was expected to write a reaction paper. In step 2, I was instructed to prepare a Comprehensive Test Review for a standardized test of my choice. The paper provided the exhaustive description of the selected instrument, including the analysis of the psychometric properties, and the technical and practical evaluations.... [tags: Psychometrics, Assessment, Test, Bias]
830 words (2.4 pages)
- Second Paper As education students get ready to graduate and start working as new teachers, they much to worry about than what most people think. It’s no longer only about teaching or preparing lessons, there is a huge amount of issues, concerns, and politics involved. One of the main subjects is standardized testing, new teachers have to prepare their students for those test while still providing the students with rich learning experiences, and meaningful lessons. But these teachers may have to sacrifice many of those great lessons in order to meet the requirements and expectations from the school, and instead spend more time on getting students ready for high-stake tests.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Standardized test, Test]
1191 words (3.4 pages)
- For the Test Critique Assignment I choose the Bench Mark Assessment Test for fourth grade. I think it is a great asset to know how my bilingual students are performing against other fourth graders or even to compare them with the national and state scores. The Bench Mark Assessment test is not an option, all students in grades third through eight who take the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) must take the Bench Mark assessments test. The Bench Mark Assessment test primary purpose of the Mathematics and Reading Benchmark Assessments test is instructional improvement and not accountability The Bench Mark assessment test was developed to help teachers to measure students’ strengths an... [tags: Test Critique]
1553 words (4.4 pages)
- Purpose: You will write a four-page MLA style report on a topic of you choice along with three areas of the topic, with teacher approval on a submitted memo. You will do a smart search for information and write a five section report on the topic using proper MLA style format as well as correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Good writing is also an expected criterion for this assignment. Project: 100 points DIRECTIONS: MEMO- 20 points 1. Save as MLAReportMemo.docx. Select a topic and type a memo to Mrs.... [tags: Assignment]
690 words (2 pages)
- Reflective Journaling Assignment On our very first day of clinical, an evening shift on January 7, 3 student nurses with myself included witnessed a peripheral IV being started on a patient. The insertion was performed by an RN in the patient’s room, with the patient lying down supine on the bed. My classmates and I stood beside the patient’s bedside, giving us a nice view of the procedure. As the RN started inserting the IV catheter into the patient’s hand, the sight of the catheter going inside the skin made me wince.... [tags: Patient, Health care provider, Health care]
707 words (2 pages)
- Anxiety can be defined as a state of uneasiness and nervousness resulting from the fear of unknown or the anticipation of some threatening event or situation. It can also be taken as a generalized mood or condition of mind that results from some unidentifiable cause or stimulus that is supposed to bring on some negative outcomes of certain possible future event/s or to simplify the whole idea, one can say that anxiety is the feeling of being worried about what may / will happen. This restlessness or uneasiness of feeling leads to various psychological and physiological disorders such as loss of appetite, loss of sleep, headache, palpitation, sweating, trembling etc.... [tags: test and testing]
622 words (1.8 pages)
- Life Become Complex With the development of the country, people should have better lives. But some easy things become more and more complex. I think taking road test is a very good example. Actually, taking a road test is very simple and easy. Because of the development of the technology and society, people have more steps to do for finishing the road test and get their driver license. There are the whole steps that people need to do. Making an appointment is the first step. People need to make an appointment online by themselves, and it is not just go to the website to make this appointment.... [tags: Driving, Driver's license, Driving test]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- Weaknesses As mentioned previously, the test did show some weaknesses in its design. One thing that should be mentioned is the weight of each competency. C1 has the required weight whereas C2 and Competency 3 Writes and produces texts (C3) do not meet the program requirement. Furthermore, if we add all these figures together, we arrive at 95% and there is no mention of the last 5% anywhere on the test. This proves to be a major flaw and can leave confusion when it comes the time to score the final results.... [tags: instrument, test, writing]
935 words (2.7 pages)
- How has the role of teachers changed, what factors have entered into the changing role of teachers. That is the topic of this lesson. To complete this lesson you will: write a review of a journal article. THE 21st CENTURY LIBRARIAN The classroom teacher is not the only professional in the school whose role is changing. Look at this video to see how the school librarian's role has changed in the modern school. The 21st Century Librarian JOURNAL ARTICLE REVIEW 1 "Codes of Ethics" Topic: Teacher's Code of Ethics.... [tags: Assignment Review]
701 words (2 pages)