Throughout history many things in general have been improved upon. Four major improvement areas are: warfare, medicine, education of society, and technology. All of these improvements have brought with them positive effects. Warfare has allowed oppressed people to rule themselves; medicine has saved countless lives with vaccines and treatment programs; education of societies has allowed people to make their dreams come true; and, advancements in technology have made the previous three possible. With these positive effects also come negative effects, which are seen on a grand scale. Advancement in warfare has caused numerous deaths, medicine has advanced to the point where ethical questions arise because of cloning and stem cell research, the education of society in addition with the advancement in technology have allowed these negative advancements to be achieved.
This being said, it can be proven that advancements come with positive and negative effects. The video games of twenty-five years ago have evolved into something different and in some cases something dark. Research has shown in many cases that video games have negative effects such as: increased aggressive behavior, desensitization, and poor physical heath on adolescents. Many researches also think part of the problem arises because adolescents do not receive enough parental supervision with these games. After discussing these negative effects it will be obvious that more vigilance and regulations are warranted.
Sherri Benzie has work with children from age five to age eighteen. She is the current head of security for a national retail chain. She has her BA in Psychology, a minor in ethics, and her Masters Degree in Social Work. ...
... middle of paper ...
...ashington, D.C. Retrieved: 16 August 2004
Pope, Alan T. and Edward H. Bogart. “Extended Attention Span Training System: Video Game Neurotherapy for Attention Deficit Disorder”, Child Study Journal, vol. 26, no. 1, pg 39-50. Retrieved: 16 August 2004,
Vandwater, Elizabeth A, Mi-suk Shim, and Allison G. Caplovitz. “Linking Obestity and Activity Level with Children’s Television and Video Game Use”, Journal of Adolescence, February 2004; vol. 27, Iss. 1 pgs 71-85, Retrieved: 16 August 2004,
Vastag, Brian. “Does Video Game Violence Sow Aggression? Studies Probe Effects of Virtual Violence on Children”, JAMA, Chicago: April 2201. Vol. 291, Iss. 15; pg. 1822. Retrieved: 16 August 2004
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- On April 20, 1999, two adolescent boys walked into Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, and shot 12 of their classmates and a teacher. Then, they killed themselves. When authorities investigated, they found that the boys had played thousands of hours of a video game that had been set to occur in their high school. They used yearbook pictures to create the game's virtual victims. The event that took place at Columbine High School is only one of many tragedies that have taken place due to the influence of video games.... [tags: Columbine High School shooting]
680 words (1.9 pages)
- Video games have been a rapidly expanding industry since their inception in the 1970s. Along with their growth have come concerns about violent video games and their effects on aggression and violence in young people. The many school shootings have pushed this issue to the forefront, since the two shooters were avid players of video games. These events brought about the question: do violent video games induce aggression in youth. That’s the question I set out to answer by looking at research. The research shows that there is a link between playing video games and increases in aggression in adolescents.... [tags: Media Violence 2014]
1900 words (5.4 pages)
- ... She demonstrated that teenagers that already have aggressive traits have more tendencies to watch violent video games but still this is not big evidence that violent video games cause violence behavior. She argues that teenagers only gain violent attitude when exposed to unstable parental atmosphere in their lives. The argument held by Beresin is based on studies done that show a lacking direct relationship between violent video games and violent behavior in teenagers. Recent studies in Egypt showed the opposite of Beresin's argument.... [tags: behavioral psychology analysis]
1274 words (3.6 pages)
- Throughout history many things in general have been improved upon. Four major improvement areas are: warfare, medicine, education of society, and technology. All of these improvements have brought with them positive effects. Warfare has allowed oppressed people to rule themselves; medicine has saved countless lives with vaccines and treatment programs; education of societies has allowed people to make their dreams come true; and, advancements in technology have made the previous three possible.... [tags: Video Game Violence 2014]
1276 words (3.6 pages)
- In recent years our society has experienced many tragic school shootings in which teens have committed heinous crimes for no apparent reason. The question has become who is to blame or what inspired these attacks on these innocent victims. This question has become an epidemic in our country. We live in a violent world and young people have easy access to it whether it's on television, in music or on the Internet. But with the explosion of media entertainment in recent years, video games have come under scrutiny as to whether or not violence in video games numbs children and teens to the consequences of real-life violence.... [tags: Video Game Violence 2014]
1540 words (4.4 pages)
- Imagine this you’re a parent reading quietly in a room, then you hear shouting and stop coming from your child’s room. You normally well behaved child is screaming and shouting after losing a games in call of duty, and you are wondering why he is acting like this. What you might not realize is that it could be the violent video game affecting his behavior. The effects of violent video games in youth have devastating effects on them. These effects can range from violent behavior to acting out in school, and even possibly maybe even crime.... [tags: Video Games, Violence, Negative Effects]
1194 words (3.4 pages)
- Does playing video games cause aggressive behavior. Because children and teenagers spend an increased amount of time each day playing video games, they are shaping their values, attitudes, and behaviors. For people who do act out aggressively, the results can be deadly. Monthly, the news is filled with blood-chilling accounts of crimes committed due to a copy-cat obsession with violent video games. This paper will present a brief review of literature and reveal the difficulties in answering this question with certainty.... [tags: Media, Violent Video Games]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- Since violent video games, like Mortal Kombat, were created, adolescents who play these games become more aggressive than before. To me, playing violent video games is unsafe for these people since they have the negative influence on these people. I believe that researching on that topic would help us get the sense of what problems to avoid. I wish to know what are the possible effects of violent video games on adolescents’ aggression. The independent variable is violent video games, and the dependent variable is adolescents’ aggression.... [tags: Violence ]
1680 words (4.8 pages)
- “YOU SUCK!” “I killed him!” “Head shot!” These are just a few examples of dialogue spoken by children while they are playing violent video games. These video games might seem like harmless fun, but what if the violence in these games is affecting the behavior of young players interacting with others. In a society driven by technology, video games are becoming more popular each and everyday. People of all ages enjoy video games in their free time; these games allow the player to become an athlete, a soldier, or a professional fighter at the tip of their fingers.... [tags: Society, Technology, Video Games]
898 words (2.6 pages)
- Violent Video Games and Aggressive Behavior Statistics have shown that the violence among young people is increasing every year. Many people blame musicians and other types of artists who portray negative actions as something positive. Others might blame the parents for not watching over their children. But many people fail to bring up technology as an issue. With the new DVD that shows sex and violence or computers that gives kids access to unauthorized sites, technology is something that many parents need to look out for.... [tags: Violent Video Games Youth Violence]
1571 words (4.5 pages)