Almost everyone loves getting his or her hair done. I specialize from difficult dye jobs such as streaks of red on black hair or a full dye job from bright auburn red to the bluest black. I also specialize in cutting all types of hair from long to short and straight to curly. From creating bangs to creating “shape ups” on the faces of hairy, bearded men. The atmosphere can be described as loud due to the continuous noise of the blow dryers. The smell of the chemicals of the dyes can also be nauseating. Fog and mist fills the air from the moisture of the client’s hair being blow-dried. The mist of oil sheen from the spray cans also fills the air giving a finishing effect for the hairstyle. Standing up eight to ten hours a day is a tedious task and towards the end of the day all you feel is the cramping in the legs and the swelling of the ankles.
A typical day for me starts out slow in the mornings and works its way up busier in the afternoons. There are the usual one or two customers in the morn...
... middle of paper ...
... properly and walked out with a haircut free of charge. I didn’t want to diminish the quality of my salon so I decided to give her the haircut for free. I was left with a bruised ego and empty pockets.
Laying my scissors or clippers on someone’s head is a huge challenge for a hairstylist no matter if you have been cutting hair for two or twenty years. I have to look at an individual and know that the hairstyle that they are going to walk out with is now a part of their existence and personality. The saying “personality goes a long way” has to do with image. The image you portray to the public says a lot about the personality of the person. This is why cutting hair is a tedious task that takes patience, time and effort. If a customer has a set idea about what he or she wants, it is up to the hairstylist to get the cut as close to that vision as possible.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Day of the Dead also known as Dia De Los Muertos occurs on November 2, the day after the Dia De lots Inocentes which happens to fall on November 1st ,which in translation means the day of the innocents or the day of the little angels. These rituals are highly known in Mexico, Latina America, Spain, Italy, South America , Philippines and some parts of the United States, they are mainly celebrated in Catholic based countries and people. It 's been a ritual and tradition that many indigenous people have been celebrating for the past 3000 years.... [tags: Death, Afterlife, Day of the Dead, Life]
1054 words (3 pages)
- Gone but never forgotten :The Day of the Dead Thomas Campbell once said “ To live in hearts we leave behind ,Is not to die.” I am sure at a point we have all wondered what happens after death .Reincarnation , afterlife , and heaven or hell are all things we have heard of . It is only natural because death is inevitable. While some presume they have to mourn the death of their loved ones , the Aztecs believed death was something to celebrate. Today i will inform you about the origins of the day of the dead , how it is celebrated in the Mexican culture , and its transformation in the US through migration.... [tags: Mexico, Aztec, Day of the Dead, Mexican American]
1209 words (3.5 pages)
- Valentine’s Day, also known as St Valentine’s Day, is recognized in most Christian lead countries around the world. The word valentine comes from ancient roman days. ‘Valens’, in Latin, means worthy. The Latin meaning of valentine is; Valentinus and represents several martyred saints of the time. There are many different legends and versions of the origin of Valentine’s Day. The most stated legend is that during 3rd Century Rome, Emperor Claudius II made it illegal for young men to marry. He felt young, single men were better soldiers.... [tags: Valentine's Day, history,]
500 words (1.4 pages)
- Day trading is a fairly new development of the stock market. Day trading refers to buying and selling a stock in the same day. Day traders normally trade common stocks, currencies, or stock options. Day trading is normally done by professional investors. However, it has also become a popular way to make money at home for others. In 1975, Wall Street ended the set fee on stock trades. Day trading then became a reality to investors. Before this, traders collected their order information with brokers using ticker tape.... [tags: Day Trading, stocks,]
660 words (1.9 pages)
- Characterization in The Remains of the Day The Remains of the Day is a book that believes in defining its characters to remarkable detail. Even minor characters are brought to life, using a variety of methods; some subtle, others more overt. This essay will discuss the entire novel - just the first eight pages. Many novels would still only be setting the scene at this point but, with The Remains of the Day, many of the main characters have already been described in a fair amount of detail. Creating detailed and believable characters is usually a key factor in a book's success.... [tags: The Remains of the Day]
1431 words (4.1 pages)
- Book Critique of The Longest Day Cornelius Ryan, born in Dublin, Ireland in 1920, worked as a reporter covering the battles in Europe from 1941-1945 and then the final months of the Pacific Campaign. His articles were printed in both Reuters and the London Daily Telegraph. His first book was The Longest Day, published in 1959, selling over 4 million copies in 27 different editions. In 1962 a director named Darryl Zannuck made the book into a movie. Ryan's next book was The Last Battle, published in 1966.... [tags: The Longest Day]
868 words (2.5 pages)
- An Explication of Washing Day One Source Cited The poem Washing Day by Anna Letitia Barbauld illustrates two different points of view of the events that are happening on washing day. The first view is how the people surrounding the author feel towards the chores to be done that day. The second is the view from the author when she was a child, observing all that is happening. The idea of the poem is to bring to the reader's attention the joy and innocence of childhood, while at the same time noting the importance of the events of the day.... [tags: Washing Day]
1128 words (3.2 pages)
- "Realism in, art and literature, [is] an attempt to describe human behavior and surroundings or to represent figures and objects exactly as they act or appear in life" (Realism 1). During the 1840's through the 1890's realism was present in much of the literature from the United Sates and Europe. It has been said that realism is easily visible in many pieces of modern literature and even in present day films. In 2001, the movie Training Day was released into theaters. Many critics agreed that the movie was very realistic.... [tags: Training Day Movie]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- Gloria Naylor's Mama Day In 1988 Gloria Naylor wrote the novel Mama Day in hopes to show the world that one can either accept the hand they are dealt and make it come out to the advantage of themselves and others, or one can hide from their pain and live a life scared of what may come in the future. Mama Day is set on an island off the coast of South Carolina and Georgia that is inhabited by the descendants of a slave population. The main characters in the novel; Ophelia, Abigail and Miranda, also called Mama Day, all experienced a lot of pain in their lives; it is how they chose to deal with their experiences that sets them apart from each other.... [tags: Gloria Naylor Mama Day]
1471 words (4.2 pages)
- In 2001, one of the most memorable performance’s in Hollywood was Honored with an Academy Award, for Best Actor In A Leading Role. The Oscar, went to Denzel Washington, for is amazing performance in Training Day. A powerful departure from his good guy roles, Denzel Washington, plays Alonzo Harris, a street smart, crocked, undercover narc, out on the mission to save his ass, from the Russian mob. On the day in question, he is giving rookie cop Jake Hoyt (Ethan Hawke) a chance to prove himself worthy to be a part of his elite squad of undercover narcotics officers.... [tags: Training Day Movie]
749 words (2.1 pages)