The screeching sound of the utensils was scraping against the plate and the sound of the food in her mouth going squish, squish made me want to walk out of the restaurant. I didn’t allow my temper to get the best of me so I retained myself in my seat and sat there patiently for her to finish. Her name is Christine Amoco and she is my best friend. She’s tall, slender, pretty and has brunette hair. Although she is my best friend she irritates me with her poor table manners. Every time we go out to a restaurant we would be the center of attention. I don’t mean this in a positive way. Christine would open her mouth while chewing her food, bang plates and glasses around and next thing you know it we would have a crowd of people turning around to see what was all the commotion.
It was Saturday night on Christmas Eve of 2005 and we both decided to go to Smith and Wollensky’s for dinner. As we approached our destination, we walked in and the waiter seated us. As soon as we were seated, the first thing she did was took her gum out of her mouth and placed it on the nicely embroidered cotton napkins. When the waiter approached us I ordered a filet mignon medium rare with a side of creamed spinach and she ordered the rib eye steak rare with a side of creamed spinach as well. As our food was served to us I knew right there and then I were up for total embarrassment. As she shoveled a piece of steak into her mouth blood squirted at the corners of her mouth as she chomped on the meat. She didn’t bother to use the napkin to wipe off the mess and started for the creamed spinach.
As she scooped up a small amount of creamed spinach she mixed it in with her steak that was already being chewed in her mouth....
... middle of paper ...
...r passed away when she was two and her father raised her ever since. Her family never had a proper family dinner whereas knives, spoons, and forks were symmetrically lined on the table. Thanksgiving to her was always a take out situation and she was raised with siblings who have improper decorum. She was a tom boy throughout her life and always loved to climb trees, shoot squirrels with her sling shot and played cops and robbers with the boys. To top it off her husband is the same way. He also eats sloppily and has poor table manners as well. This doesn’t make the situation better. Although Christine has poor table manners, she is still my best friend and I love her with all my heart. I understand her poor table manners will be difficult for her to overcome but it’s something I have to put up with because she is my best friend and I have to love her for who she is.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “Good manners will open doors that the best education cannot.” These were the words of Clarence Thomas, an American Supreme Court Judge. This quote, of course, extols the virtues of etiquette, seen by many as a dying art. But why exactly do people have so little regard for having good manners these days. Few schools actually teach about manners and etiquette these days, but is that such a bad thing. Many of us were taught the adage, “Kindness will take you where money cannot,” and it represented an era that kept social manners in the forefront.... [tags: behavior, conduct, etiquette ]
1031 words (2.9 pages)
- Do manners matter. Yes, they do; however, since most parents have gone to work, children have fewer chances to sit with their parents and to learn manners from them. Although America is a melting-pot of cultures with various ideas of manners (Packer 22), and the subject of manners is complicated (Hall 185), the standard of good manners of various cultures is similar. Good manners are the same as civilized behaviors and moral etiquette that have respect, consideration, generosity, and thoughtfulness for others (Stewart 14).... [tags: Informative, Education, etiquette]
939 words (2.7 pages)
- Sexuality and discussing manners requiring sexual language is a part of being human and it affects us both personally and as a society (Crooks & Bauer, 2014). The United States culture falls into a semi-restrictive category where boys and girls attend the same schools and there are no set rules for sexuality, yet people keep their sexual activity private (Lecture 1, 2011). This week, the class discussed the sexual language table and noticed the similarities and differences of what words are used to describe things of sexual nature depending on if a peer or someone in authority is being addressed.... [tags: Sexual intercourse, Human sexuality]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- Proper Etiquette and Interview Skills Business Etiquette Business etiquette is made up of significantly more important things than knowing which fork to use at lunch with a client. People may feel that if you can't be trusted not to embarrass yourself in business and social situations, you may lack the self-control necessary to be good at what you do. Etiquette is about presenting yourself with the kind of polish that shows you can be taken seriously. Etiquette is also about being comfortable around people (and making them comfortable around you!) Being a good conversationalist To be a successful conversationalist, you must also believe that listening is power.... [tags: Etiquette Interviews Manners Essays]
4168 words (11.9 pages)
- The sweet smell of candied sweet potatoes and honey ham fill the house. You are just finishing up dinner when your husband walks in the door, “Honey, I'm home!" You greet him with a warm smile, a clean home, and an after-work drink of scotch. You call the children from playing with neighbors in the backyard and they begin to get cleaned up for dinner. You then all proceed to sit around the dinner table enjoying each other’s company and you exchange stories of your day ; Jimmy got an A on his math test ; Mary has met a boy and will be going on a date tomorrow night to the Hop; there is going to be a church bazaar this Saturday.... [tags: Traditional Family Values]
1769 words (5.1 pages)
- Mind Your Cell Phone Manners We have all experienced the uneasy feeling while having a conversation with someone who is talking on their cell phone with someone else. The conversation can become awkward and unproductive. Advancements in cellular phone technology have made us connected to the world no matter where we are, but when does this connection become improper to the world around us. The desire to be continuously connected with this communication device has degraded our manners. While I’m at the grocery store, my wife can call and remind me about the eggs or butter I always forget to bring home.... [tags: Communication, Relationships, Manners]
1093 words (3.1 pages)
- Ellen Kay’s “Pathedy of Manners” is a poem in which an anonymous narrator tells of a woman who goes from being young and single, to married with children, to widowed and alone. According to the title, her life is a “pathedy,” a pathetic tragedy. One way that Kay indicates the tragic pathos of the woman’s situation is through the vocabulary and the tone, which changes over the course of the poem. Analyzing these two elements helps to reveal Kay’s theme; valuing material objects and meaningless social contact can lead to loneliness and empty relationships.... [tags: Pathedy of Manners]
882 words (2.5 pages)
- According to the ABC News survey, 73 percent of Americans feel manners are worse today than they were 20 or 30 years ago. Although character education is a hot topic in schools across the nation, education in maners often receives scant attention; with growing demands on teaching time, etiquette is rarely a priority. It might be a mistake to ignore the adage that actions speak louder than words, however. Teachers who teach manners said they notice a real difference in students' attitudes, in the way they treat one another, and in their schoolwork.... [tags: manners, kindness to others, table manners]
987 words (2.8 pages)
- Abstract The Periodic Table of Elements is commonly used today when studying elements. This table’s history begins in ancient times when Greek scientists first started discovering different elements. Over the years, many different forms of the periodic table have been made which set the basis for the modern table we use today. This table includes over 100 elements and are arranged by groups and periods. Groups being vertical columns and periods being horizontal columns. With all of the research conducted over the years and the organization of this table, it is easy to use when needed.... [tags: Periodic table, Chemistry, Chemical element]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- “Give me a bowl of special noodle. Where were you at. I’m waiting you for a long time. Hurry up!” The man shouted at the waitress in the very crowded restaurant and didn’t even give her a look. She didn’t reply but went back to the kitchen. That was a case that I witnessed in the restaurant next to my house. Therefore, when I read the article “Can I Get You Some Manners with That?” written by Christie Scotty, I can understand why Scotty feels kind of angry when the way others treat her depend on her jobs.... [tags: Article Analysis Respect Manners]
856 words (2.4 pages)