Being overweight and being in sports is a hard aspect of the game to overcome. Many of the athletes in different sports go through tough training and conditioning. Some athletes are under great pressure to make a certain weight in order to stay on the team. If the players are overweight they might be fined or even benched for the certain events. All of the sports that are out there have a lot of competition for staying on teams. There are the athletes that struggle each week to keep their job from younger stronger players coming in. So it is a question of were they turn to get an extra edge over the other player. Most of the time it is with diet supplements or performance enhancers. Congress needs to be more ethical in providing enough research and funding towards dietary supplements research because the cost is greater than loosing a few pounds or getter a better edge in the game. It comes down to being able to keep the American public safe and keep athletes from dieing. Even though the entire dietary supplement industry is a big corporation the companies can not be just out there to make money, when it can harm people. From being an athlete myself I am deeply concerned with the issue of all the muscle enhancers and what is being done in congress and the FDA.
The entire diet supplement industry is worth $20 billion dollars. Most of the products that are out on the market are available do have benefits towards different features of performance. There are complaints being given in to the congress that the drug companies are being put in hold for distributing their product in the market. If a company comes out with a new product that could save li...
... middle of paper ...
...and then leaving the person feeling dehydrated and weak.
From looking at all of the effects of all of the diet pills and muscle enhancers it is clear that the congress needs to help the FDA more in order to keep the American public safe. Counterarguments may pose that the industry alone makes more than the FDA budget combined so it is not worth it. Most of the companies claim that their product is helpful to the needs that most of the athletes need. It is more than just giving a person an extra edge or making them loose weight. The effects of these pills and powders are not worth the risk. Even if a product says it is herbal and all natural does not give it the right to not go through the right scientific testing. It is based on all of these reasons and being an athlete myself I want there to be more protection on all of the diet supplements and muscle enhancers.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Looking beautiful is something all people openly (or secretly) aim for. And for them to achieve this, good health should always come first. To keep the body at optimum level, you need to take the necessary steps to maintain your health as well as prevent the onset of diseases. It is therefore important to adopt a healthy and active lifestyle—by eating nutritious food, doing daily exercise and using natural health products. Maintaining your health with the use of herbal and natural remedies is the first step to support your well-being.... [tags: supplements, natural products, health]
634 words (1.8 pages)
- 49% of surveyed adults from the ages of 31-50 say that they use food supplements on a regular basis (Dickinson, 19). Food supplements are being very commonly used to fill the gaps in a person’s diet. They are the unknown hero of modern day living, and most people don’t even know most people use them. Food supplements can benefit everyone in one way or another. Especially “With the popularity of fast and inexpensive processed food, many of us struggle to get all the nutrients we need out of our diets” (“Dietary Supplements: The Health Benefits of Pumping Up Your Diet” Par 1).... [tags: dietary supplements and vitamins]
679 words (1.9 pages)
- ... The tablets are then put into a plastic tub and shipped off to be sold. (The Doctors Vitamin, 2014) The second way (labelled 2 on diagram) is the encapsulating process. The whole grain capsules are put onto a conveyor belt and vitamin mixture is pumped into it. The lid of the capsule is then sealed on top. The capsules with the vitamin mixture in them are then put into a plastic tub and shipped off to be sold. (The Doctors Vitamin, 2014) How effective is it. Recent studies from America in December 2013 have scientists saying that “taking Vitamin supplements is ineffective and a waste of money, there use is not justified and they should be avoided” (Newsy, 2013) Also taking Vitamin A... [tags: vitamin C, waste of time and money]
1261 words (3.6 pages)
- The inability of the nation’s lawmakers to negotiate the successful reduction of the deficit has resulted in across the board budget cuts, known as the sequester. The federally mandated sequestration, which required a 5 percent cut to a federal program, has devastating impacts across the public health continuum. Public health is an essential part of keeping Americans safe, and too often the efforts to promote and protect the community are taken for granted. Without the necessary resources to fulfill their duties public health agencies, state and local governments, universities, hospitals, and health centers are failing their obligation to the public.... [tags: Public health, Health, Health care]
1456 words (4.2 pages)
- According to Advances in Nutrition (Vitamin/Trace mineral supplements), “The fraction of population that is elderly has been increasing, as has the consumption of vitamin/trace mineral supplements, which is now a Multibillion dollar industry. Yet the rationale for such supplement intake by the majority may be questioned.” () Questions like, are vitamin and mineral supplements necessary for life, or is our body capable of generating enough micro-nutrients from everyday nutrition and the environment?; and are vitamin supplements supposed to be used as substitutes for the natural intake of vitamins from whole foods, for people who do not have deficiencies.... [tags: vitamin supplements]
1532 words (4.4 pages)
- Nearly 50 percent of American adults aged 18 and older who responded to the 2013 Gallup survey, took vitamin supplements regularly to maintain good health (Swift). Although there are many different areas to be considered when discussing "good health," a key component is getting the proper nutrients. The main purpose of taking vitamin supplements is to receive the nutrients that are not received through everyday food intake. There are many questions and concerns that surround the idea of vitamins and supplements.... [tags: Nutrition, Dietary supplement, Vitamin]
1224 words (3.5 pages)
- INTRODUCTION People have been discussing if there are any negative effects of using supplements for fitness or bodybuilding for a very long time. Most people agree that if the supplement is of a good quality, it is OK to use them and they have little side effects (Bolger, 2013). In fact, some people even recommend using supplements because of such reasons: is very hard to find natural foods in this era, it impossible to take the nutrition from foods if the sportsman works too hard, and it provides fast and effective results.... [tags: Use of Supplements]
1779 words (5.1 pages)
- Herbal Dietary Supplements Fit America Fit America touts itself as the very best and most practical 100% Natural system of weight loss that helps an individual lose weight without dieting. Fit America is a natural weight control that is composed of 13 herbs and minerals that supposedly "help suppress appetite, regulate the bowels and kidneys, and stimulates the metabolism so the body uses the foods consumed more efficiently." The Fit America program requires a high protein, low carbohydrate diet.... [tags: Diet Supplement Weight Loss Gain Research Paper]
2088 words (6 pages)
- DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS Submitted by: Urmi Patel INTRODUCTION: The dietary supplements are regulated by FDA as “foods” but the regulations are different from drugs and other foods. The dietary supplements are known by various other names such as: Nutraceuticals, Phytaceuticals, Herbaceuticals, Nutrapharmaceuticals, Foodiceuticals, Phytomedicines, Therapeutic foods, Pharmafoods, Phytofoods and Parnuts (food of Particular nutritional uses). FDA regulates food supplement safety and labeling and FTC i.e., Federal Trade Commission regulates food supplement advertising and marketing.... [tags: health, nutrition]
1510 words (4.3 pages)
- There are many different work out supplements. Some of those work out supplements are Proteins/Amino Acids, Performance Supplements, Energy Boosting Products, and Vitamins. The first work out supplement we are going to tell you about is Proteins/Amino Acids. One supplement that is made of Protein is called, "The Ultimate Whey Designer Protein." This designer protein is 68% better than egg white and or regular whey. It mixes easy and gives you up to 18 grams of protein per scoop. This supplement will run you the consumer about $26.99 each 2 lbs bottle.... [tags: Work Out Supplements]
1212 words (3.5 pages)