Friendship is not simply a "relationship", knowing someone, conversing with that person, or dealing with that person in business, school, or in casual acquaintance. True friendship is not just a "relationship", but self-sacrificing love. A friend is also one who supports, sympathizes, and is a person in whom you can confide. There are unique qualities that a person must have to be considered a friend.
An acquaintance is not automatically considered a friend. Just because you know someone does not mean there is an instant friendship.This does not mean that an acquaintance cannot change into a valued friendship. There are qualities that a friend must have, but time is also a factor. A friendship can develop in as short as a day, or it could take as long as a few years for full development.In the end, if time is taken for full development, then a real friendship will develop.The main way that trust is built up is with time. When you and a friend have trust, there will usually be a strong friendship. When there is no time spent together, then th...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Definition of a Friend What is the definition of a friend. Many people have friends that they can count on for anything. Others have fair-weather friends that are there when they need something. There are countless definitions of what a friend could be. Someone who has a close personal relationship of mutual affection and trust with another is the dictionary's definition of a friend. Although there are many definitions of a friend, one knows the true meaning of friendship if they have ever had a friend.... [tags: Personal Essays Friendship Description Paps]
451 words (1.3 pages)
- What is a friend. A friend is someone who supports you, sympathizes with you, or patronizes a group. An easily definition of that would be a person you know, like and trust. In these tough times we count on friend to help us get through. I like to think of friendship as everlasting, but is friendship truly forever. Can miles drive you away from friends you made after graduating from places like high school or college. Just imagine walking across the stage and never seeing the people you graduated with.... [tags: friendship essay, definition]
626 words (1.8 pages)
- "Friendship" is defined in Webster’s Dictionary as, the state of being friends, or a friendly feeling. Friends, on the other hand, are defined as people whom one knows well and is fond of. The second definition states a friend as an ally, supporter, or sympathizer. My personal definition of "friendship" is a feeling or emotion expressed in such a way that another feels wanted and important, a relationship between a person or persons where everyone has some companion to talk to when their in need of one.... [tags: Definition Essays Friendship Essay]
672 words (1.9 pages)
- Friendships are one of the most important things you can get out of life. It’s something that everyone has to have because without it we would all go insane. Just think if no one talked to each other and we never made friends, this world would be a ticking time bomb. Studies say human need friendships and love to survive. So friendship is a big part of your life. There is no real definition of friendship, because there’s no one way you can define it. Friendships can mean many different things, depending on the person.... [tags: friendship essay, my best friend]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- The Definition of Courage The current dictionary definitions of courage are inadequate because they only include references to physical courage and omit instances of inner strength. Three contemporary dictionaries agree closely on the definition although they differ in the order of importance. Webster's New World Dictionary describes courage as "an attitude of facing and dealing with anything recognized as dangerous, difficult or painful, instead of withdrawing from it," and The American Heritage Dictionary gives a similar explanation. While The Shorter Oxford Dictionary concurs with this meaning, it states that the primary definition is "spirit, mind, or disposition.... [tags: Expository Definition Essays ]
845 words (2.4 pages)
- The Definition of Love Love by definition is an emotion explored in philosophy, religion, and literature, often as either romantic love, the fraternal love of others, or the love of God based on the definition found in The Encarta Encyclopedia. As I explored the definition by means of the Internet, books, and articles I noticed the definitions changed quite a bit, but yet had the same basic understanding. The definition I found in The Encarta Encyclopedia was probably the most simple and most basic.... [tags: Definition Essays Love Godly Romantic Essays]
1038 words (3 pages)
- Do you know someone rich and famous. Is that person confident, popular, and joyful all of the time—the epitome of mainstream success. Or, on the other hand, is the person stressed, having second thoughts about his life choices, and unsure about the meaning of his life. I am willing to bet that it is the second one. Mainstream marketing and media have effectively brainwashed our society into accepting a false, even potentially dangerous definition of success. Marketers want us to believe that having lots of money, living in a big house, and owning all of the latest cars, fashions, and technology is the key to happiness, and hence, success.... [tags: Definition Essays 2014]
1410 words (4 pages)
- “Success is the peace that comes with knowing your accomplishments have purpose.” – Hutch Putnam – Success is a word that really hard to define, because everyone will have a different definition for this word. In fact, there no exact definition for the word "success". For a student, maybe the success means to pass all courses of the semester; for a business man, signing a importance contract and get a lot of money are successes; and for a president, leading the country to develop and make the people have a better life are success.... [tags: Definition Essays 2014]
2225 words (6.4 pages)
- Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. – Winston Churchill -- Success is defined as the favorable termination of attempts or endeavors and the accomplishment of one’s goals. When I hear the word success, I think of my friend and my teacher, Mrs. Regina Kynes. I consider her successful because she has a strong family, a favorable career, and she is the most generous person that I know. Mrs. Kynes is respected and admired by those who see her as successful.... [tags: Definition Essays 2014]
555 words (1.6 pages)
- The Republic by Plato examines many aspects of the human condition. In this piece of writing Plato reveals the sentiments of Socrates as they define how humans function and interact with one another. He even more closely Socrates looks at morality and the values individuals hold most important. One value looked at by Socrates and his colleagues is the principle of justice. Multiple definitions of justice are given and Socrates analyzes the merit of each. As the group defines justice they show how self-interest shapes the progression of their arguments and contributes to the definition of justice.... [tags: World Literature]
851 words (2.4 pages)