Students will write an expository paragraph in response to: If you could change 1 thing in your library what would it be and why? The teacher will provide the students with the information to complete an expository paragraph using a graphic organizer and The 5 steps Approach to Writing Guide. The expository paragraph will be assessed using a 12 point rubric.
Ask students, “Do you have a favorite sandwich?” Discuss the students’ response and explain that a recipe for making their favorite sandwich is a “how to guide” on making all types of food. Tell them they are going to learn about their classmates’ favorite sandwich recipe and will be able to compose one of their own by the end of the lesson.
1. Tell the students they are going to help you write a recipe for your favorite sandwich using a graphic organizer and the 5 step Writing process.
2. Share your favorite sandwich recipe with the classroom and then verbally explain to the class how to make the sandwich. As you are explaining how to make the sandwich writes each step on the blackboard.
3. Ask the students “Have you ever heard of a graphic organizer?” Acknowledge the students who know what a graphic organizer is. Tell the students a graphic organizer is used to help organize your thoughts and ideas for answering questions
4. Using the overhead project share and review the graphic organizer with the students.
5. Say, “To begin we will use the recipe listed on the black board to input in our graphic organizer.
6. Guide the students through the process of making the sandwich by asking them the following questions:
What are my ingredients?
Tell me, what is the first thing I do?
What do I do next?
... middle of paper ...
...cipe. They will create the recipe using a graphic organizer and 5 step Writing Process. They will share their completed recipe their peers and display their writings on the Writing Lab Wall.
Differentiated instruction accommodations:
Pre-teach lower level students descriptive words and adjectives using pictures. Explain how adjectives are used (prickly porcupine). Have pre-written sentences available to model for the student. Show the student a model of an expository paragraph. Ask the student to identify the detail. For the gifted student, refer them to a website on how to write a 5 paragraph expository paper.
Use the Student 12 Point Rubric on their essay to assess the students work. This rubric assesses whether the students did an outstanding job, meets expectations, shows some understanding or needs additional assistance from the teacher.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The use of computers and information systems in healthcare industry is quite a good move in the right direction. Vast amounts of information are stored, data is sorted according to categories and can easily be retrieved, and patients are diagnosed effectively and accurately. Uniform codes and standards are created which makes the system universally acceptable. Most hospitals and healthcare facilities are focused on treating their clients and saving their lives and in the process forget about adhering to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act which mandates protection of electronic health information since its implementation in 1996.... [tags: Information Technology ]
1177 words (3.4 pages)
- Introduction According to the given task, it is expected to create the database for the management of the company. Such organization as dentist clinic has chosen for development. In order to collect information, many sources with such kinds of clinics were investigated and used for this purpose. The main ones are http://www.medtorgrf.ru and http://www.mosdental.ru, in which necessary medicines, instruments and main procedures were revealed for the implementation of dental activity. Besides, it is necessary to identify the types of systems to which the designed database belongs.... [tags: Dental Information Systems]
2781 words (7.9 pages)
- ... We are pleased to see you today. I am the sales manager in charge of mobile devices at HTC Corporation and this presentation is about our company and its new mobile phone HTC One M9 as our innovative product. To start with, the sales manager will introduce our company. Followed by our sales representative, Ms. Lucho to show you the M9 product as well as its special features. Lastly, Isaiah Ping, the other sales executive will take you through our advertising campaign. We encourage you to ask any questions at the end of the presentation.... [tags: Marketing, Sales, Sales management, Taiwan]
942 words (2.7 pages)
- Introduction The effect of age and category-blocked and random presentation on free recall and clustering is an important aspect of learning. Learning is a basic foundation of cognitive development. From the many aspects of learning, what we do to learn (the process) and what we learn (the outcome) are of great importance. From the day a child is born, she is exposed to a variety of stimuli; some of which she will pay attention to, others she will not. From those things which require her attention, she will either sort the information or compare it with what she already knows.... [tags: essays research papers]
1021 words (2.9 pages)
- From a trial strategy point of view, you always start with the piece(s) of evidence you believe are most damaging to the client's case and work backwards looking for an exploitable flaw in the search and seizure procedure that would make that or those item(s) inadmissible. The further back in the series of events you can argue a fatal flaw, the more likely that the evidence and any additional materials which flowed from that particular item of evidence will be excluded. This is the practical analysis of all the times we see or hear of law enforcement arguing that there was some technical item which drew their attention and suspicion and justifies their hunch that criminal activity is afoot... [tags: U.S. Law]
2001 words (5.7 pages)
- During the course of this semester; the variety of writing styles and essays assigned to me in my communication skills class encouraged the development of my writing skills, as well as provided me with more self-assurance in my abilities. My writing, research, and presentation abilities enhanced through practice, determination, and the understanding I gained during this course. With every single writing assignment, I learned new innovative approaches and skills, which enhanced my abilities to improve my thoughts logically, enabling me to write more clearly, and to organize my papers more effectively.... [tags: writing styles, skills and presentation abilities]
760 words (2.2 pages)
- Discuss Data Gathering and Presentation Skills of Consultants. Consultants must possess a variety of skills that help to enable them to provide the best advisory services to their clients. Two of the important skills that contribute to their profession and ability to perform the required work are data gathering and presentation skills. Exceptional presentation proficiency is especially necessary because it is essential throughout the engagement. These skills are used to pitch to clients, communicate to the staff especially in the data gathering period, to present their recommendations and persuade their clients to implement their proposal, and also to speak at conferences, workshops and tra... [tags: Business Consulting]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- The mandatory evacuation of New Orleans, by Mayor C. Ray Nagin during Hurricane Katrina prompted many residents to leave. While for others, they found that leaving would be nearly impossible, if not completely out of the question due to the lack of transportation, money, or resources. In the aftermath of the destruction, individual citizens and families were stranded in the Convention Center, the Superdome, and scattered around the Gulf Coast area. Even hospitals became prisons to patients and staff in the disaster zone of New Orleans.... [tags: Emergency Preparedness]
2272 words (6.5 pages)
- The chart depicted below shows the scope and sequence plan for a 200-hour Information and Software Technology (IST) course. The course covers the syllabus as prescribed by the Board of Studies, New South Wales ("Information and Software Technology Years 7–10: Syllabus", 2003, p. 15-30).This course covers the following optional topics: 1) Digital Media, 2) Database Design, 3) Software Development & Programming and 4) Internet & Website Development. The projects or tasks associated with the optional topics incorporate the core topics listed below: C1- Design Produce and Evaluate, C2-Data Handling, C3-Hardware, C4- Issues, C5-Past, Current and Emerging Technologies, C6-People, and C7-Software.... [tags: syllabus, programming]
1903 words (5.4 pages)
- ... As a car insurance customer myself, I can obviously see value in the brand. I would bring to the role a mature and objective outlook in processing claim information and a sense of responsibility and accountability to the company and the customer. From my perspective, it is irrelevant whether I am providing engineering advice or helping to process insurance claims, since the end goal is the delivery of a professional service in accordance with company policy and guidelines. On a personal level, I can integrate seamlessly into project teams and am adept at learning new procedures.... [tags: Microsoft Office, Microsoft, Work ethic]
729 words (2.1 pages)