On October 29 2012 Hurricane Sandy hits New York. It is important for us people who live in New York to know what are the plans to reduce the damage of the next major storm, if there is one. Also it will make us feel safer if we know what they are doing. The four sources I will be using are “The Next Hurricane and the Next” By The Editorial Board, Published: August 23, 2013, “Natural Allies for the Next Sandy” By Henry Fountain, Published: October 28, 2013, “To Save City From Storm Surges, No Miracles Required” By Jim Dwyer, Published: June 27, 2013, and the person I interview on this topic is my mother Qian Mei Chen, she had experience what happened during the hurricane.
In the article “The Next Hurricane, and the Next” By the Editorial Board. The article is about adopting new standards and how the congress made important changes last year to the financially distressed National Flood Insurance Program. A quote from the article is “Now homeowners who live in risk-prone areas are faced with an expensive predicament: they can either pay much higher ...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Storms of Villette In Charlotte Brontë's novel, Villette, Brontë strategically uses the brutality and magnitude of thunder storms to propel her narrator, Lucy Snowe, into unchartered social territories of friendship and love. In her most devious act, the fate of Lucy and M. Paul is clouded at the end of the novel by an ominous and malicious storm. By examining Brontë's manipulation of two earlier storms which echo the scope and foreboding of this last storm -- the storm Lucy encounters during her sickness after visiting confession and the storm which detains her at Madame Walravens' abode -- the reader is provided with a way in which to understand the vague and despairing ending... [tags: Storms of Villette Essays]
1029 words (2.9 pages)
- The process of Preparing for Baseball season Baseball has always been America’s natural past time. Many fans love watching baseball but do not realize how hard it is to prepare for a season. Most fans think the players just show up on the first day. I think this belief is completely false. I feel that preparing for a baseball season requires much preparation. The preparation I use includes working on my swing, working out, and studying other people’s ideas on hitting. These steps are necessary for me to have a successful season.... [tags: Major League Baseball, Baseball, Coach]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- The chart points out the named storms, hurricanes and major hurricanes. It is clear to state that major hurricanes, in purple, during the 1850’s and well into the 1920’s were less than the number of major hurricanes in 2005, which was greater than five. Katrina, Dennis, Wilma and Rita were a few of those in 2005 (National Hurricane Center, 2016). These storms, as many might know, were some of the strongest hurricanes to hit land. The concept behind this information is to guide the reader’s considerations towards the fact that warmer weather condition have something to do with the strength these hurricanes are gaining.... [tags: Tropical cyclone, Hurricane Katrina]
1477 words (4.2 pages)
- Biologics and Contract Manufacturing Company ensures batch control system data accuracy Precision Pharma Services, Inc. is a new business wich operates a biological products facility originally started in 1979 as part of the Greater NYC Blood Program. The FDA approved facility has been operational in the production of blood products for the past decade and has been a privately held company since 2001. With approximately 130 employees, they produce products that are made into Serum Albumin and IV products.... [tags: essays research papers]
1325 words (3.8 pages)
- Psychological Effects of Ice Storms and Floods All disasters have numerous psychological effects on both survivors and disaster workers. This is because of the trauma and shock associated with disasters. However, though there are some disasters that cause similar side effects, some people react differently to different disasters. Ice storms and floods lasting for days are both serious disasters which can lead to extreme damage and cause serious psychological effects on survivors and disaster workers.... [tags: trauma and shock after natural disasters]
605 words (1.7 pages)
- For as long as I can remember, I’ve always wanted to be a meteorologist. The beautiful and smart young woman who would be known as “Ghenna Storms A Lot” on ABC 7 news at 11:00 am, staring alongside Dallas Raines and Garth Kemp. In addition, to be a renowned meteorologist, recognized by the American Meteorological Society. I had big plans as a young girl, however, needless to say plans changed. In life we often experience moments that change who we are and who we want to be. These instances, as little or as surprising as they may seem, influence us greatly and inspire us to change our future.... [tags: Dentistry, Oral and maxillofacial surgery]
1537 words (4.4 pages)
- In the northern tundra of the lower Arctic, a bone-chilling wind develops and heads southward to cross the border. Although tempered by the trip, the north wind remains cold and dry, like a bubble growing wider, larger, swallowing whole states with the advance. In the south, humid air from the Gulf rambles northward, staying low and bringing fair but sweltering weather. Both, whether by creation or chance, meet in the middle of the great expanse of the Plains. II Distant thunderheads moved on the horizon, traveling along the fine edge where the sky melded to the land.... [tags: Creative Writing Essays]
709 words (2 pages)
- The Storms of Life There once was a man who dreamed he was at the end of his life. He saw his life as if it were a walk along a beach with Jesus. As he looked back over his life he saw two sets of footprints in the sand along most of the way -- one set belonging to him, the other to Jesus. He noticed, though, that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints in the sand. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in his life. This really bothered the man, and he questioned the Lord about it.... [tags: Papers]
1529 words (4.4 pages)
- If you know where and when to look, you can treat yourself to a colourful display of atmospheric haloes, spots and pillars. These images can tell you something about the clouds overhead and possible changes in the weather. All of these images are created by light shining through cirrostratus clouds. These clouds occur at an altitude of 6,000-12,000 metres. They appear as a thin sheet or layer (strata) that is pure white. The layer of cloud is so thin (only 100-450 metres) that is doesn't obscure the sun or moon, so you should be able to see your shadow.... [tags: essays research papers]
519 words (1.5 pages)
- Solar Storms Storms in space could have a devastating effect on our society. Solar storms are a result of solar flares and are electromagnetic in nature. They are capable of causing power outages and halting all types of communication, including; electronic pagers; radio and television broadcasts; credit card transactions; military communications; etc. Solar flares are cyclical, usually over a period of eleven years. There are three basic stages to a solar flare. The first stage is the precursor stage, where the release of magnetic energy is triggered.... [tags: Papers]
630 words (1.8 pages)
- An Inside Look at TWA Flight 800
- Othello and The Duchess of Malfi,’ Deconstruct and Challenge the Sexism of Jacobean Society?
- The Individuals and Movements that Made the Civil Rights Change Possible
- The Hunger Games: Annotated Bibliography
- The Shining Path
- Quality of Health Care and Services for the Mentally Ill in Prisons