I guess I should start at the very beginning which would be getting up at 6:45 in order to make lunches for the students going on the trip. I had agreed to help Brenda make sandwiches, but neither of us got the key for the dining hall so we had to break into the dining hall with a clothes hanger, we are now professional picks locks because we finally got it open on the 30th try. At any rate we had fun making bagged lunches and pick on each other in the process. Then all the mission students piled into the vehicles to ride to New Tribes Mission, I always thoroughly enjoy the rides on these trips because we frequently have some lively discussions and this trip was no exception. Upon arriving at New Tribes the only thing on the outside property that hints at the site being unique is the totem pole as you pull into the drive way. Once you step into the tabernacle you begin to realize that this place is special. I was impressed by the inviting, fun, learning atmosphere that the building breathed when you entered. It was also nice to stretch our legs and get a warm drink after riding because it helped us be able to focus later when Greg Sanford was talking to us.
I thoroughly enjoyed and was challenged by Greg’s talk. As Greg was going through some of the pictures on the screen I was a little taken back by how much nudity was displayed in the pictures. I realize in that missionaries would have to get used to that to reach those people, yet in growing up in American culture especially in our holiness circles I think I would be very careful what pictures I took and displayed to my supporters. As Greg was talking about culture he stated that culture shapes directly shapes a person’s thoughts, actions, etc. and the way he pres...
... middle of paper ...
...r an hour and that says something about how well he presented his material. He kept reminding me of someone with his gestures and I finally realized he was reminding me of Bro. Martin.
I really appreciate field trips or field studies as Bro. Mowery used to call them because I have learned so much on each trip I have been on in my four years here. These trips have impacted my thinking about missions as much if not more because it takes class instruction and puts faces to missions, provides connections to leading thinkers, and interaction with other cultures. So please, please continue to do them for future groups, especially in classes which have other majors in the class because they also need to be exposed to these ideas of missions. I believe it also draws the mission students together in the road trips in ways that do not always happen in class or on campus.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In my view, international students shouldn’t be asked to pay more money for the tuition. To approach this problem, we should, first and foremost, reiterate why people put such an emphasis on good education. Firstly, education improves people’s learning ability that makes them know more about the world. Most things taught in schools are the basic skills or means to further understanding of our society. Only be learning can humans have an opportunity to study more and know more about the society. Secondly, social experience tells us opportunities are often given to someone who has received good education.... [tags: University, Education, Higher education, Student]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- My weekend is going well. I work all week, 45 h/week it is looking like a not too hard, but my kids yell and cry to me all time. I was straining. That why when I have free time during the weekend. I like to go hang out with my friend and find some fun to do. I really wanted to make myself happy and relax. Sometime I just went to walk and ride bicycles around the house. I wanted to take a class in college or normal school and go to school 3 day or 4 days/ week. I want to make friend and find new experience from normal school that is my dream in my young.... [tags: English language, Second language]
1919 words (5.5 pages)
- The chart on page 145 is perfect to follow when making reading lessons. The chart starts with preparing students. Preparing students before a lesson is critical in teaching. It allows the teacher to get in a positive state of mind and a chance to help student that might struggle with the material being taught in the lesson. When a teacher prepare their students they can change the classroom environment. When students are in a safe, bright, positive classroom environment, they are able to learn faster and efficiently.... [tags: Education, Learning, Psychology]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- “C’mon, Jake. We’re going to be late!” I yelled at my far behind brother. “As fast as I can, sis.” The thing is, we’re heading on our first trip to Paris. Jake is going to leave for a few months to go back to the army for his shift as a Special Forces candidate. “Flight 54 to Toulouse, France now boarding. Plane doors close in eight minutes!” The loud woman’s voice echoed through the gigantic, busy building. As soon as we made it to the luggage scanner, I grinned with joy. “I can see it now, Jake.... [tags: plane, family, trip, france]
521 words (1.5 pages)
- “In “Preparing High School Students for College” Barnett explains the different college readiness partnership programs in Texas and how forty percent of high school students take at least one remedial course to prepare their selves for the transition.” (Barnett) Barnett believes the problem comes from a lack of association of high school graduation requirements and college academics. Barnett also believes that these programs do not receive the evaluations that they should, but that they are indeed helpful to students.... [tags: High school, College, Secondary education]
1038 words (3 pages)
- Top 10 Best Apps for the College Going Students Blame it the easy access of the technology or connectivity with the world through social media, we are all hooked up to our smartphone. So, the software developers keep upgrading the software with stunning apps from toddlers to elder group of people. Amongst the best developed software apps, the apps for students are the best one, as these apps help students to excel in their academics. Also there are myriad of apps that are designed for the students personal life too, and so we feature you the 10 best apps that every college as well as school students can utilize and improve their grades.... [tags: Smartphone, Windows Mobile, Student, Mobile phone]
1283 words (3.7 pages)
- “I’m going on a business trip for a few days. I’ll be back.” Those were the last words my father left me with and he never returned. My world revolved around my father, mother and two sisters. My family was like an umbrella; they gave me shade when there is none left in the world. I would always rely on them and be myself without even thinking about it. When I was 14 years old, my father had left the family. Knowing that my father gave up on our family was a pain that couldn’t be easily healed.... [tags: Family, Mother, Father, High school]
957 words (2.7 pages)
- Students spend four years of their lives attending high school. Going through high school is supposed to prepare them for college and “the real world.” Taking part-time jobs has become the phenomenon among high school students, and many students follow this trend as well. Indeed, there are some advantages; however, there are also some disadvantages. Though it may seem like working throughout high school is a bad idea, it could better prepare students for “the real world.” Although some people believe that the primary duty of a student is studying, I am of the opposite position.... [tags: career, high school, students,]
557 words (1.6 pages)
- Going to the Territory Ralph Ellison’s essay “Going to the Territory” is truly a definition of American culture. Ellison’s essay is a description of his journey from Oklahoma to Brown University and along the way he uncovers truths about the way Americans selectively acknowledge their history and ignore important aspects of their culture and let them fester into an uncontrollable problem. Ellison had a connection to Brown University before he even made it out of grammar school. His principal was the first colored man to graduate from Brown and Ellison received an award in memorial to Dr.... [tags: Going to the Territory Essays]
474 words (1.4 pages)
- THE TRIP It all started when my friend and I were off-roading and one of us had a marvel idea… “Wouldn’t this be fun to do in Colorado?” So it begins, I mention that I have a cousin that lives in Colorado, and that we could stay with him and his family. We planned the trip for August 10th. Turns out this will be the most liberating and most independent event in my life. Thursday, August 10th rolls around, we get and start loading the jeep, and hit the highway. Just knowing that we were on our own was such a big challenge for us, never in our lives have we gone on trip with out the financial support and guidance of our parents.... [tags: essays research papers]
530 words (1.5 pages)