Add tropical flair to your Los Angeles garden with hibiscus. Equally beautiful and eye-catching as stand-alone shrubs or trimmed into small trees, the hibiscus makes a truly spectacular green fence or screen.
Large, lush green leaves are offset year round by huge, vibrant, trumpet-shaped blooms in a rainbow of festive hues, including white, yellow, peach, pink, fuchsia, orange and scarlet. Some cultivars produce variegated or multi-colored flowers. Although individual blossoms persist for only a few days, they are so abundant that fallen flowers are rapidly replaced by new ones, leading to a profusion of season-long color.
Hibiscus is sun loving and thrives in bright locations. They need moderate water to look their best, but are susceptible to wet feet and root rot, so avoid overwatering.
The staggering variety of hibiscus available may be tempting, but due to variations in leaf size and growth patterns, it’s best to choose a single cultivar when planting a formal hedge. Young plants may require staking and selective pruning to establish an upright pattern. Once strong trunks have developed, the stakes may be removed.
Wind and salt resistant, the hibiscus is ideal for coastal Southern California locations. Use a hibiscus hedge as a privacy screen around a swimming pool or as a charming and colorful green fence.
Sometimes called Hollywood juniper, the drought tolerant and virtually maintenance-free Chinese juniper is an Asian native that absolutely loves Los Angeles. Seen everywhere from Downtown to the desert, this sturdy evergreen provides constant blue-green color while creating an unobtrusive backdrop to more showy plantings.
Endlessly adaptable and almost indestructible, Chinese juniper is available...
... middle of paper ...
...m year-round in Southern California, they often show the best color during the hottest and driest months of the year.
Exceptionally pest and disease resistant, the lantana is a low-maintenance plant that requires very little care. They are vigorous and forgiving and can be sheared or trimmed at any time without regard to season. They need little outside water once established and will grow in almost any soil.
Their tolerance for direct sun makes lantana ideal for use in low green fences or hedges along sidewalks or street frontages where there is very little shade. They can also be used as foundation plantings or along block walls where they will thrive in the reflected heat.
Lantanas are also sold as spreading ground covers, so when building a hedge be sure to select a variety that will get some height. Shrubby cultivars generally top out at between 3 and 4 feet.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Since 1965 many people of different ethnic backgrounds have immigrated to the greater Los Angeles area than anywhere within the United States. These immigrants have rapidly and profoundly transformed the city’s ethnic makeup and spared heated debate over their impact on the region. Unfortunately within many areas of Los Angeles there are those who have been pushed out of their homes, which have been passed through generations of ethnic minorities in other areas due to gentrification. These gentrified areas have been renovated by the city to allow for a much more comfortable living experience.... [tags: Nutrition, Health, Los Angeles]
1578 words (4.5 pages)
- After completing high school or college, many young adults have to decide where they want to go to begin the next chapter of their lives. Countless people choose to move to a big city, mainly because they display various job opportunities, eventful nightlife and potential new friends. When deciding where to live, one must consider many factors, some that appeal to their wants and some that are necessary for a healthy life. In the United States, Los Angeles and New York City are often the two top choices because they both contain the qualities that young people are looking for.... [tags: New York City, Los Angeles, City, United States]
1134 words (3.2 pages)
- Urban Planning in Los Angeles In this paper, we will discuss Planning management system in Los Angeles Planning control institutional subsystem Las Angeles is one of those cities of California, which have an active governing system. Mayor is the administrator of this town, so Los Angeles city has strong mayor-council structure. Mayor is responsible for the appointment of Director of planning in the city, who leads the department of city planning in Los Angeles. City planning department of Los Angeles founded in 1941.... [tags: City, Urban planning, Los Angeles, Lewis Mumford]
1036 words (3 pages)
- Los Angeles and New York are both great places to live in and to visit on a vacation. This two cities have never really seen each other eye to eye by the people who live there. The cities being on opposite sides of the United States doesn’t help the situation, its west coast and east coast rivalry. These cities have a rivalry that has gone on for so long it astonished me deeply. The history behind both cities are very similar, but very different all at the same time. First thing that L.A. and N.Y.... [tags: New York City, Los Angeles, New York]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- I 've moved a few times; from Brazil to Connecticut, from Connecticut to NYC, to a million different residence halls, but one thing I 've never done is pack my crap up and move across the country carrying only things that could fit in a medium-sized carry on. It 's been six months since the cross-country move, and I find myself combing through the jumbled cultures of different areas and groups of people; this place is pretty extreme. Either extremely beautiful or hideous, Los Angeles is known for it 's glitz and glam, its beautiful people, and being the home to milliards of production lots.... [tags: New York City, Los Angeles, Entrepreneurship]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- =Gang Violence in California The City of Los Angeles is the “gang capital” of the nation. There are more than 450 active gangs in the City of Los Angeles. Many of these gangs have been in existence for over 50 years. These gangs have a combined membership of over 45,000 individuals. Gang violence has for a long time been a major issue. Now it may not be as bad as it was back in the 90’s when it really first surfaced but gang violence is still a critical issue. A place where gang violence has really been an issue is none other than the state of California.... [tags: Crime, Gang, Los Angeles, Criminology]
1208 words (3.5 pages)
- This brings us to an important and, one would say pivot, event in the Chicano movement, the Los Angeles school walkouts of 1968. For historian Michael Soldatenko, “Students and the East Los Angeles community transformed the immediate struggle for educational rights into practices that disrupted the institutional imaginary and postulated a second order based on self-determination and participatory democracy.” Although “Mexican Schools” were unconstitutional under the Mendez v. Westminster case, the superintendent and Board of Education were determined in defending the districts ' policies.... [tags: United States, High school, Chicano, Los Angeles]
820 words (2.3 pages)
- Intelligent and Independent Intelligent and independent are two characteristics which describe two of my favorite characters from the NCIS and the NCIS: Los Angeles television shows. These two fictional women share additional characteristics such as humor and a strong work ethic. At the same time, the writers of the two shows have given each of the characters their own quirks and special characteristics. The first character is Kensi Blye from the NCIS: Los Angeles show. The second character is named Ellie Bishop who has recently come as a new agent on the original NCIS show.... [tags: Learning, Skill, NCIS: Los Angeles, SKILL]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- Los Angeles; A Diverse Metropolis People always wonder why the City of Angels is different from other cities. This paper will answer this question and explain the uniqueness that makes L.A., “L.A.” Los Angeles, since its birth as an embryonic city, has become one of the most diverse metropolises, offering to the public what no other city can. This paper will emphasize the relationship between the federal government and the western United States. It will also illustrate how capitalism has flourished because of the prevalent 19th century Laissez Faire ideology.... [tags: L.A. LA Los Angeles California Essays]
2041 words (5.8 pages)
- Joan Didion's Essay "Los Angeles Notebook" The Santa Ana winds cause people to act more violently or unruly and makes others irritable and unhappy to a great extent. Joan Didion explains to the reader about how the Santa Ana affects human behavior in her essay “Los Angeles Notebook.” Through the use of imagery, diction, and selection of detail Didion expresses her view of the Santa Ana winds. Didion paints uneasy and somber images when describing the Santa Ana winds. “There is something uneasy in the Los Angeles air… some unnatural stillness, some tension,” starts the essay off with the image of Los Angeles people in a sense of stillness or tense.... [tags: Didion Los Angeles Notebook Essays]
582 words (1.7 pages)