The war began in 1914 with the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the Austria-Hungarian throne. The big world powers had networks of alliances, and new technologies that lead to the first global conflict. The French entered the war with a very optimistic view and a flower in their rifles. Out of a population of 40 million, they mobilized 1.1 million men in the beginning (Bracken). They were convinced that the war would be over very quickly, and they could rescue the Alsace and Lorraine regions from the boorish Germans.
As we see in Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s A very Long Engagement, the men in the French army were from similar, yet different backgrounds. Bastoche and Six-Sous were both tradesmen from Paris, working in carpentry and welding respectively. Benoit Notre-Dame was a farmer who had to leave his home when he got drafted into war. Manech was a fearless fisherman, with a beautiful fiancée. The big outlier of the group was Ange, the Corsican pimp. He was hard and seemingly unfeeling. Out of the five he was the least innocent. These were the stories of most men drafted into the war. They were generally from lower classes without the money and privilege to belong in the rear where they would be relatively safe. Occasionally a...
... middle of paper ...
...ront Association. N.p., 19 May 2008. Web. 03 Mar. 2014.
Joyeux Noel. Dir. Christian Carion. Prod. Christophe Rossignon. Perf. Diane Kruger, Benno Fürmann, Guillaume Canet, Gary Lewis, and Dany Boon. Sony Pictures Classics, 2006. DVD.
"Louis De Cazenave, 110: France's Oldest WWI Veteran." Thestar.com. Toronto Star Newspapers, 21 Jan. 2008. Web. 03 Mar. 2014.
Martin, Douglas. "Lazare Ponticelli, 110, Dies; France's Last Veteran of World War I." The New York Times. The New York Times, 12 Mar. 2008. Web. 03 Mar. 2014.
Payne, David, Dr. "French Army in The Great War." The Western Front Association. N.p., 10 Oct. 2008. Web. 03 Mar. 2014.
Trueman, Chris. "Mutiny in the French Army." Mutiny in the French Army. History Learning Site, n.d. Web. 03 Mar. 2014.
A Very Long Engagement. Dir. Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Perf. Audrey Tatou, Jodie Foster, and Gaspard Ulliel. 2004. DVD.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- We are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of a wide range of Electrical Contacts for Starter and O.C.B. Carbon Brush, Brush Holder and Slip Ring Unit.// change sequencing, same as about us// Our range is acknowledged for optimum quality, efficiency and durability. We are counted as a prominent manufacturer and supplier of a comprehensive range of Electrical Contacts for Starters, O.C.B. Contacts, Carbon Brushes, Brush Holders, Slip Ring Unit and Flexible Cable. Moreover, we are also a stockist of Relay, Timers, PVC Cables, Copper Wire and Aluminum Wire.... [tags: Business Profile]
2279 words (6.5 pages)
- We are a renowned organization engaged in retailing and supplying of Audio & Visual Equipment, Sprung Back Scrappers and Polyurethane and Rubber Screen Decks & Liners. These are known for their durability, reliability and excellent performance. Owing to our experience of almost a decade in this field, we are engaged in offering our clients with a comprehensive range of LCD Projectors, Cordless Mike, Computers, Laptops and Audio Systems. Apart from these, we also provide Collar Mike, Sprung Back Scrapers and Polyurethane and Rubber Screen Decks & Liners.... [tags: Business Profile]
2230 words (6.4 pages)
- We are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our products are precisely engineered and are known for their durability and resistance against pressure and temperature. Backed by the industry experience of 17 years, we are the prominent manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our range of products includes Engine Valve Seat Inserts, Ring and Header Work. The high quality valves that we manufacture are known for their resistance against extremely high temperature in the combustion chambers of four stroke engines that use natural gas, L.P.... [tags: Business Profile]
1789 words (5.1 pages)
- Profile Essays Profile Essays - Grandfather, Grandpa By definition, my grandfather is handicapped. However, he doesn't act as though he is, and he certainly does not want to be treated in any special way. In fact, most of the handicapped people in society do not appreciate being treated in a way different from anyone else. They just want to be accepted as human beings. Some people become handicapped as a result of an accident. Others are born with their disabilities. My grandfather was asleep one night on a Coast Guard cutter when another ship, a destroyer, appeared in the distance.... [tags: Personal Narrative Profile]
415 words (1.2 pages)
- India Places .com About Us India Places is the premium website on tourism that gives details about the important tourist’s places in India. It covers the whole lot of places across the country. Every part of the country is covered under this. The most sought after places in India that people wants to visit, all the details regarding the important tourist’s spots, locations to visit, the details of hotels and resorts to stay are provided on the site.... [tags: Business Profile ]
857 words (2.4 pages)
- Social media nowadays are bombarding people’s lives whether it is Facebook, MySpace, Friendster, LinkedIn, Orkut, YouTube, Flickr, Twitter, Groupon, and many more. Social media has changed how people interact with each other and how they express themselves on the Internet. Facebook, for example, has really altered people’s perception of themselves. We hypothesize that this altered perception in turn influences their behavior on product choices and involvement with particular groups. Facebook Background As of now, Facebook is the most trafficked social media site with over 600 million users in the United States and countries worldwide.... [tags: Social Networking, Social Network]
1595 words (4.6 pages)
- Cameroon became a German colony in 1884. At the end First World War, under League of Nations mandates, eastern Cameroon was awarded to France while the southern and northern Cameroons was awarded to Britain. In 1960, French Cameroons gained its independence and Ahmadou Ahidjo was appointed to the presidency. In February 1961 the southern populations of British administered Cameroons voted to join the newly independent Republic of Cameroon. In 1966 Ahmadou Ahidjo made Cameroon a one-party state, in retaliation to a major rebellion, and through constitutional restructuring; concentrated power in presidential hands.... [tags: Geography ]
867 words (2.5 pages)
- Of the many ways of classifying and conceptualizing individual differences, some are obvious and quite visible, such as gender, race, language, national origin, social background or class. Other ways rest on less visible but nonetheless influential distinctions such as culture or personality. In this journal I will be concerned with the differences based on the different types of personality profiles according to the Myer Briggs Inventory. I would try to link this differences firstly to my experience working in a team with different personality styles, and secondly to the development of certain leadership skills.... [tags: Personal Reflection]
2077 words (5.9 pages)
- Developmental Profile Developmental Profile for Adolescents Physical Characteristics 1. Concerning boys in this period, in general the penis and scrotum get much larger, hair appears in the axillae and in the pubic area, the voice begins to deepen, and the spurt of height and weight begins. This period, for girls, is a time of rounding out and completing major changes in the secondary sex characteristics. For example, most have begun menstruation and the weight and height gains have slowed down (Babcock, 1967).... [tags: Teaching Education]
583 words (1.7 pages)
- Leadership Profile Paper This paper will profile Jeff Hawkins, Chief Technology Officer (CTO) for PalmOne, Inc. examining qualities that Mr. Hawkins exhibits that make him influential leader. The paper will also examine details of the business strategy that make this man an exceptional innovator and his contribution to eBusiness technology. Vision Jeff Hawkins a graduate of Cornell Universityis best known as “the inventor who, in 1994, took blocks of mahogany and plywood into his garage and emerged with a prototype for the PalmPilot” (PC Magazine, 2000).... [tags: essays research papers]
837 words (2.4 pages)