Social acceptance is an integral part of being human. To our ancestors, social acceptance was necessary for their survival. In more recent times, people have come to feel safe and protected when they belong to a group. (Social Acceptance and Rejection: The Sweet and the Bitter) I have made my own personal advances at being socially accepted by using several methods of language for my individual circumstances. I learned to speak differently with friends, classmates, and employees. I am fortunate to have a wide variety of friends with diverse backgrounds and ethnicity. I was not that privileged when I was younger. I was raised in middle class family and I was limited to the type of people that I could associate with as a little girl. As I grew older, my mother’s employer requested her to move from one state to the next. These moves allowed me to not only see more of our country but to meet a wider variety of people. Each time we relocated, I had to learn how to communicate differently to procure friendships. As an example, when I lived in Ohio I could ask for a pop, but while I was in Texas the common word was coke. Not the kind of coke as in Coca-Cola, but a generic word...
... middle of paper ...
"Proper Pronunciation." Write-out-loud.com. Www.write-out-loud.com. Web. 05 Oct. 2011.
"Social Acceptance and Rejection: The Sweet and the Bitter." Science Daily.com. ScienceDaily LLC, 13 Aug. 2011. Web. 05 Oct. 2011.
Tristam, Pierre. "President Bush's Speech to Congress Declaring War on Terror." About.com Middle East Issues. About.com. Web. 06 Oct. 2011.
"Why Speaking Proper English Is Important for Your Career." Exforsys.com. Exforsys Inc., 6 June 2007. Web. 5 Oct. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- How to be Successful in Life As I contemplate my view on a successful life, I cannot help but think about my own life. Just thinking about what my life might look like in the future, is exciting, intimidating, and a little frightening. One of my greatest desires is that I look back over my life with a sense of pride and accomplishment. People tend to measure success by the results that they see. Sadly, many people consider material wealth as the most accurate indicator of a successful person.... [tags: Meaning of life, 2008 singles, Thought, Success]
862 words (2.5 pages)
- Second language learning is the process of learning a different language other than one’s mother tongue resulting in the ability of an individual to use one or more languages different from his first language. It can take place in a natural setting or through classroom instructions; however, the degree of proficiency differs (Gomleksiz, 2001). Learning is a conscious process that includes thorough explanation of grammar rules, practice of those rules, as well as memorizing lists of vocabulary, usually in a classroom setting (Wisniewski, 2007).... [tags: languages]
1740 words (5 pages)
- Success may be defined in many ways by many people. According to Oxford English Dictionary, it is, “the prosperous achievement of something attempted.”(“Success”). That is, if one achieve his/her desire or goals, it would be considered as his/her success. But it is true that the definition and explanation varies according to the eye of beholder. Generally, Success means fulfilling the goals that you set for your life. For some, success may be money, big house and a luxury car.... [tags: Person, Success, Individual, Meaning of life]
860 words (2.5 pages)
- Doing well in school, doing an extracurricular activity, getting into college, getting a job, starting a family. These are all things that a majority of our society perceives as success. That’s about it. However, I feel that saying that is the only definition for success is wrong. To put it simply, the clear definition of success is what makes one happy in life. Success is a word that can be defined differently by everybody. To some it is like I said earlier. Getting a job, starting a family, etc.... [tags: Happiness, Game, Play, Life]
746 words (2.1 pages)
- Success is a term that’s definition varies greatly from person to person. The best way to put it, is that success is happiness and achieving the goals you set for yourself. Society chooses to view success as how much money one possesses, if one is married with kids, and how one chooses to live their life. In all reality, success is completely in your mind. Only you can decide if you are successful in life or not. Nothing anyone says can change whether you are a success or not. Just because my standard of success is riches and glory means absolutely nothing.... [tags: Meaning of life, Failure, Bill Gates, Success]
1092 words (3.1 pages)
- Paper on Balance and Success in life Everyone dreams of a successful career and life. The definition of success is very personal. For me, the term “Successful career” revolves around happiness. My definition for successful career and a successful life: For me, a successful career is one that stirs up a certain level of excitement, passion and happiness in me. In my view, successful career should be enjoyable and interesting. To be successful at work I always pose these questions to myself: • Is this place giving me enough space to showcase my talent.... [tags: Personal life, Happiness, Success]
1051 words (3 pages)
- Success is the key to life Success is defined as the accomplishment of an aim or purpose. What does is success mean to you. One might compare success to financial gain. This is not always true everyone lives their lives in different ways and have beliefs that define their life. In my opinion to have a successful life you must do something you love, cannot be afraid to fail, and ultimately must be a hard worker. First, you must find and do something you love. This can be a challenging process to find something you really love to do.... [tags: Success, Failure, Cancer, Ford Motor Company]
802 words (2.3 pages)
- Over thousands of years people have been driven by success, but what is success. Success to me is the ability to perform at your highest level in the path in life that you take. I believe that if you are not driven to be the very best at the things you do then it is not a calling. There are plenty of opportunities in life and you should take everyone you get. Success is a word that is on a broad spectrum, there is no single definition to the word. I define what success is for me. There is no set image of success, success is also constantly changing.... [tags: Meaning of life, Shall and will, Success]
1228 words (3.5 pages)
- Nearly everyone aims to be successful. However, success is a personal value, and everyone has a different characterization of what success is. Some people may think that success is having a life full of lavish things and heaps of money. Others may think that success is getting married and having a family. Success doesn’t always have to involve money. Success can be as simple as taking control of your life in one way or another, like getting into a healthy lifestyle, working out, or going back to college.... [tags: Failure, Success, Meaning of life, Goal]
930 words (2.7 pages)
- Success can be an extremely broad subject. There is an abounding amount of different views on what the “true” definition of success is. Personally, I believe that success is finding happiness. Success is waking up in the morning and not having to worry about whether or not the bills are going to be paid this month. Success is having a job that you enjoy going to every day. Success is having friends and family who love and support you. Success does not mean that one has to be exceedingly rich or have a lakeside mansion.... [tags: Happiness, Success, Protagonist, Life]
774 words (2.2 pages)