In the first violin section, a few of the members include David Kim, Juliette Kang, Ying Fu, and Marc Rovetti. To being, David Kim is the appointed Concertmaster of this orchestra in 1999 and has kept his position ever since. He was born in Carbondale, Illinois, in 1963, and started playing the violin at age 3. David Kim began studies with the famed pedagogue Dorothy DeLay at the age of 8. He later obtained his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the Juilliard School. Highlights of Kim’s 2015-2016 season include teaching and performance residencies at Oberlin College, Bob Jones University, and the Boston Conservatory. He has continued appearances on PBS stations nationally and online at the Khan Academy. David Kim has had recitals, speaking engagements, and appearances with orchestras across the United States, and he has launched the first annual David Kim Orchestral Institute of Cairn University in Philadelphia. He appears as a soloist with The Philadelphia Orchestra each season a...
... middle of paper ...
...Connecticut, and made his solo debut with the Atlanta Symphony in 2005. He received both a Bachelor and Master of Music degree from the Juilliard School and an Advanced Certificate from New York University. His teachers were Ronald Copes and Pamela Frank. When he was at NYU, he served as an adjunct violin faculty (The Philadelphia Orchestra, 2016).
Before joining The Philadelphia Orchestra, he was a member of the New World Symphony and the International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE). He was a former member of the award-winning Rothko String Quartet and the Mark Morris Dance Group Ensemble. Marc Rovetti spent four summers with the Tanglewood Music Center, as violinist in the New Fromm Players, Tanglewood’s resident new music chamber ensemble. He has worked closely with composers Augusta Read Thomas, Bernard Rands, and Magnus Lindberg (The Philadelphia Orchestra, 2016).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... There were several performance spaces within the Kimmel, however the orchestra performs in the 2,547-seat hall. It’s a huge cello shaped room with a marvelous modern feel, yet has a connection to the old opera halls of Europe. The music director, Yannick Nezet-Seguin, a notable opera conductor, was a part of the Philadelphia Orchestra since 2012. He has worked with many other ensembles in Europe, including the Staatskapelle Dresden, Berlin Philharmonic, Staatskapelle Berlin, Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra.... [tags: Orchestra, Musical instrument, Music]
758 words (2.2 pages)
- ... This movement is different from movements one and three because it is more dramatic and intimidating. This music is also in minor tone because it is melancholy. Major music which tends to be more upbeat. This movement nicely interpreted the author being sentenced to death. I enjoyed how the music got loud then quieted down again which is called Diminuendo. In this movement parts of the music is repeated with the strings and the woodwinds. In almost all of the movements the clarinet has a solo performance but in this movement it is cut short and the instruments get loud very quickly.... [tags: Orchestra, Symphony, Hector Berlioz, Music]
2596 words (7.4 pages)
- ... Similarly, the wind instruments and string instruments are played by fingering the keys. Each unique finger position on a particular instrument plays a certain pitch or note when blown into or bowed. Not to mention, the orchestra can be broken into symphony orchestra which incorporates woodwind, brass, percussion, and string instruments. The types of music that both groups play may be the same or drastically different. Some arrangements are made specifically for string orchestras only such as the symphonic works of Mozart and Brahms.... [tags: Orchestra, Musical instrument, Brass instrument]
987 words (2.8 pages)
- On Sunday, April 19 2015 at 2:00 pm in Carnegie hall, the American Symphony Orchestra performed five pieces by various composers. The pieces performed at the American Symphony Orchestra include Alleluia, Dream-king and his love, Symphony NO.2, Music for Cello and Orchestra, and Cantares. Various well-known composers such as Randall Thompson, Horatio Parker, George Rochberg, Leon Kirchner, and Roberto Sierra composed the pieces included. All of which have an amazing skill and talent in composing music, which has been demonstrated by the American Symphony Orchestra.... [tags: Orchestra, Violin, Music, Symphony]
1448 words (4.1 pages)
- ... The subsection in the woodwinds section must include the flutes, the clarinets, the bassoons, and the oboes. The subsection in the brass section must include the trombones, tubas, the horns, and the trumpets. The player in the percussions can be playing the snare drums. Chiefly, the MSYO supports all the sections and subsections; therefore, it meets the size criterion. The quality of the orchestra is a major part of being called a great orchestra. Some orchestras preferred to be called a good orchestra, but their quality is sometimes atrocious and causes distress with the audience listening.... [tags: Orchestra, Brass instrument, Woodwind instrument]
1030 words (2.9 pages)
- For my first required concert performance in this course, I decided to attend a local Terre Haute Symphony Orchestra concert. The concert was held September 26, 2015 at 7:30 pm in the Tilson Auditorium located on the Indiana State University campus. The musical program for the evening was a presentation of Dvorak’s “New World Symphony” and Sibelius’ “Concerto in D minor for Violin and Orchestra, op 47” with guest violinist Ariel Horowitz. The opening piece was “Overture to Zampa” by Louis Herold.... [tags: Music, Orchestra, Symphony, Tempo]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- ... I have also never been to the Chicago Symphony Center. Liszt’s composition Les Préludes has a fast marching pace tempo in the rhythm. The melody is carried out through the string instruments like violins and cellos had, the pitch sequence in the composition almost stays the same, but it does change in some places the melody is mostly in minor scale but towards the end, it seems major because it held a sound of triumph. The dynamic levels at the beginning were in piano, but it did not stay that way, there were changes in the sound there were crescendos and decrescendos but mostly toward the end.... [tags: Music, Musical instrument, Orchestra, Piano]
1151 words (3.3 pages)
- On Thursday November 5, I had the opportunity to see the Toronto Symphony Orchestra perform a student concert called Big Bold Brass. The concert was set to teach students the various techniques and skills of the many brass players in the orchestra. They, along with guest tubist Øystein Baadsvik played several pieces showing the virtuosity in the styles brass instruments can play. The first piece they perform was Festive Overture by Dmitri Shostakovich. They then played the fanfare from La Peri.... [tags: Trumpet, Brass instrument, Orchestra, Tuba]
1190 words (3.4 pages)
- The Symphony Orchestra concert was preformed by The OU School of Music with Jonathan Shames as a conductor and they presented Sutton Concert Series. In addition, the Orchestra concert performed at Paul F. Sharp Concert Hall in October 12, 2015.There were like forty-one performers on the stage including the conductor using different types of instruments and and all of them were wearing a nice black clothes. The stage was a quite large with wooden floor and there were two floors for the audience with a comfortable seating.... [tags: Music, Tempo, Orchestra, Brass instrument]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- An orchestra is an organized body of bowed string instruments, with more than one player to a part, to which may be added wind and percussion instruments.In the Greek theater the term denoted the semi-circular space in front of the stage where the chorus sang and danced; in the Roman theater is was reserved for the Senators' seats, Throughout the years the size and strength of orchestras across the world have varied. In the mid-18th century the orchestra of the Berlin Opera had 12 violins, 4 violas, 4 cellos, and 3 double basses; 4 flutes, 4 oboes, and pairs of bassoons and horns.... [tags: String Instruments]
487 words (1.4 pages)