A. Attention Getter: Has anyone ever stopped to help you when you were in need? How did it make you feel?
B. Thesis Statement: Volunteering in your local community will help those around you and help you feel like you have contributed something positive and it is easier than most people think.
C. Speaker Credibility Statement: If we all did our part to help those in need, our community would be a better and safer place to live. By doing this, we can achieve a greater sense of accomplishment. I try and do five or six volunteer activities each month and can tell you of the personal benefits from volunteering that I have experienced.
D. Preview of Main Points
1. Main Point: Today, I will talk about the needs in our community
2. Main Point: ways that you can help
3. Main Point: and what our community could look like if we all did our part.
Transition: Volunteering in your local community is great way to give back and set a positive example at the same time. Let’s take a look at some of the problems in our community that affect many people.
A. Main Point: The problems in our community are great and affect us all in one way or another.
Internal Preview: Increases in poverty are causing many community issues.
1. Supporting Material: There are families that are living in poverty in our community that have significant needs that need to be addressed.
a. According to the CDC, there has been a steady increase in preventable childhood diseases.
b. Many of these children only get a full meal while having their school lunch, so many of these children go hungry the rest of the day.
c. Test show that Standardized test scores for these children have also been decreasing.
2. Supporting Mate...
... middle of paper ...
...ov Sunday). Retrieved May 27, 2014, from mrythetechnologyguy: http://mrythetechnologyguy.blogspot.com/2008/11/persuasive-essay-volunteering.html
• Benefits of Volunteering. (2013). Retrieved May 27, 2014, from national service: http://www.nationalservice.gov/serve-your-community/benefits-volunteering
• persuasive speech outline. (2013). Retrieved May 27, 2013, from rumminspeechnd.edublogs: http://rumminspeechnd.edublogs.org/persuasive-speech-outline/
• Joanna Saisan, M. M. (2013, Sept). Volunteering and its Surprising Benefits. Retrieved May 27, 2014, from help guide: http://www.helpguide.org/life/volunteer_opportunities_benefits_volunteering.htm
• Mary V. Merrill, L. M. (2010, Oct 19). Benefits of volunteering. Retrieved May 27, 2014, from world volunteer web: http://www.worldvolunteerweb.org/resources/how-to-guides/volunteer/doc/benefits-of-volunteering.html
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... This figure is an intimidating figure because it show the occurrence of death in a crash. In this accident, the leading cause of death is people under the age of 35 years old. Safety belts can prevent death in about half of these accident. B. A seat belt help us by holding us in the car and keep people being throw around and out of the car. Many injury occur when a person inside the car collides with the steering, wheel, dashboard, windshield, the roof or other. (Transition: Let’s take a look on what is the second reason why we should wear seat belt when driving car) II. The second point is can cultivate themselves too not violate government law.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
714 words (2 pages)
- Persuasive Speech: Same sex marriages General Purpose: To persuade Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade the audience to agree that same-sex marriages should not be legal Central Idea: The audience will realize the vices and social disorders created by legalization of same sex marriages in order to preserve marital norms INTRODUCTION I. Same sex marriage is a trending topic if not a trendy one. Countries throughout the globe are pressured with the question of homosexuality being an issue of right or morality.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1282 words (3.7 pages)
- Specific Purpose: To persuade the audience to view oceanic exploration as a valuable undertaking. INTRODUCTION I. Opening Statement: Forget about exploring outer space, we should concentrate on something a lot closer that we only know a small fraction about - Earth’s oceans. II. Central Idea: To show the benefits of Government funded exploration and examination of the oceanic environments across the globe. III. Credibility Statement: I have gathered information from various online sources and periodicals to illustrate the importance of our undersea environment.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade my audience that that solar power should become the main form of alternative energy in the Unites States. Introduction: Attention Getter: Let’s look ahead fifty years and see what the world is like. Imagine a world that is in total war with no end in sight. The cause behind this war is simple, oil. Everyone is fighting over those last few reserves of oil. How can this future be prevented. The answer is solar power. Claim: Solar power has the potential to become the United States main supply of energy and replace are needs for more conventional and harmful forms of power generation.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1587 words (4.5 pages)
- Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade my audience that I should be the next school prefect I would like to take this opportunity to run for school prefect. I believe true leadership is a quality many aspire to have, and only a few truly obtain, because in order to become a leader you must first learn to follow. I believe over the past four years this school has given me the knowledge, education and understanding to fulfil the qualities to become a prefect.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech]
416 words (1.2 pages)
- ... What organ donation is and how it works Most of you probably do not know much about organ donation. Organ donation is the act of giving your organs to an ill patient after your passing. Organs that you can donate are your kidneys, heart, liver, pancreas, intestines, lungs, skin, bones, bone marrow, and your cornea. Organ Donation doesn’t often happen, but if the patient accept a organ transplant, he or she is put on a list by the United Network for Organ Sharing, or UNOS. The way hospitals decide if you’re a good candidate for an organ transplant is yours and the recipients blood type and tissue type has to match.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
603 words (1.7 pages)
- ... So it fashioned in me a security apprehension that will benefit all. Preview Statement: This white paper examines the current state and nature of the mobile payments, some of the relevant enabling technologies, and looks at the relevant risk, security and assurance issues that security and audit professionals will want to consider when developing and evaluating mobile payment services. Development of the need: What does the Starbuck application lacks at. A. It lacks at creating barriers for hackers trying to hack into an account.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1090 words (3.1 pages)
- A common misconception about volunteering is that it only helps the cause. Often times that aspect is the only part that is highlighted when the topic of donating time comes up. There is a different side of volunteering though. Many volunteers donate their time to help better the community they live in and the people that live in it. When they choose to do this they not only help others but they are also helping better themselves. Volunteering benefits a person by building connections with peers, improving family life, expanding career skills, overcoming self doubt, having lasting life impressions, and creating new opportunities.... [tags: helping the cause and myself, personal reflection]
1533 words (4.4 pages)
- General Purpose: Speech to Persuade Specific Purpose: To get my audience to be pro on legalizing marijuana Thesis Statement: Marijuana isn't harmful and should be legalized Organizational Pattern: Cause and Effect To the AIDS or cancer patient, marijuana is the plant that fights nausea and appetite loss. To the nutritionist, its seed is second only to the soybean in nutritional value and is a source of cooking oil and vitamins. To the paper or cloth manufacturer, it is the plant that provided much of our paper and clothing for hundreds of years and produces four times more fiber per acre than trees.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech ]
1717 words (4.9 pages)
- Topic: Certification Programs General Purpose: To persuade individuals to enroll in a certification program of their choice. Thesis: This speech will cover the many educational alternatives of certification programs in higher education, as well as their advantages. This will include a detailed description of certification courses in Computer, Nursing, and Trucking. Introduction Are you one of millions of people who would like to earn great money in a respectable field of profession, but refuse to sit through 4 full years of a Bachelor’s program.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech]
854 words (2.4 pages)