A. Attention Getter: Has anyone ever stopped to help you when you were in need? How did it make you feel?
B. Thesis Statement: Volunteering in your local community will help those around you and help you feel like you have contributed something positive and it is easier than most people think.
C. Speaker Credibility Statement: If we all did our part to help those in need, our community would be a better and safer place to live. By doing this, we can achieve a greater sense of accomplishment. I try and do five or six volunteer activities each month and can tell you of the personal benefits from volunteering that I have experienced.
D. Preview of Main Points
1. Main Point: Today, I will talk about the needs in our community
2. Main Point: ways that you can help
3. Main Point: and what our community could look like if we all did our part.
Transition: Volunteering in your local community is great way to give back and set a positive example at the same time. Let’s take a look at some of the problems in our community that affect many people.
A. Main Point: The problems in our community are great and affect us all in one way or another.
Internal Preview: Increases in poverty are causing many community issues.
1. Supporting Material: There are families that are living in poverty in our community that have significant needs that need to be addressed.
a. According to the CDC, there has been a steady increase in preventable childhood diseases.
b. Many of these children only get a full meal while having their school lunch, so many of these children go hungry the rest of the day.
c. Test show that Standardized test scores for these children have also been decreasing.
2. Supporting Mate...
... middle of paper ...
...ov Sunday). Retrieved May 27, 2014, from mrythetechnologyguy: http://mrythetechnologyguy.blogspot.com/2008/11/persuasive-essay-volunteering.html
• Benefits of Volunteering. (2013). Retrieved May 27, 2014, from national service: http://www.nationalservice.gov/serve-your-community/benefits-volunteering
• persuasive speech outline. (2013). Retrieved May 27, 2013, from rumminspeechnd.edublogs: http://rumminspeechnd.edublogs.org/persuasive-speech-outline/
• Joanna Saisan, M. M. (2013, Sept). Volunteering and its Surprising Benefits. Retrieved May 27, 2014, from help guide: http://www.helpguide.org/life/volunteer_opportunities_benefits_volunteering.htm
• Mary V. Merrill, L. M. (2010, Oct 19). Benefits of volunteering. Retrieved May 27, 2014, from world volunteer web: http://www.worldvolunteerweb.org/resources/how-to-guides/volunteer/doc/benefits-of-volunteering.html
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Volunteering Specific Purpose: To convince the audience why it is good to volunteer. Thesis: Volunteering, The good it does for others, the community, and themselves. Introduction: I: Have you ever wondered how to mend all the things that are wrong in the world and make them right. Have you ever felt that things need to be changed. The truth is that ordinary people just like you and me are doing that. They are doing things like helping other people out to cleaning up the environment. Overall in our country, more than 56% of our population, men and women, young and old, are giving of themselves to help create a better world.... [tags: Volunteer, Volunteering, Giving, Volunteerism]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- TOPIC Why we should use seatbelt when driving a car SPECIFIC PERPOSE To persuade my audience to use the seat belt in car. CENTRAL IDEA There are three reasons why we should use seat belt when driving which are preventing death when an accident occurs, cultivate themselves too not violate the law and protecting our passengers. INTRODUCTION I. Seatbelt is a very important component when we all drive a car or other vehicle. The main purpose of seat belts is to provide greater safety to the driver when driving car but at the moment, people do not care about the importance of wearing seatbelt.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
714 words (2 pages)
- Persuasive Speech: Same sex marriages General Purpose: To persuade Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade the audience to agree that same-sex marriages should not be legal Central Idea: The audience will realize the vices and social disorders created by legalization of same sex marriages in order to preserve marital norms INTRODUCTION I. Same sex marriage is a trending topic if not a trendy one. Countries throughout the globe are pressured with the question of homosexuality being an issue of right or morality.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1282 words (3.7 pages)
- Specific Purpose: To persuade the audience to view oceanic exploration as a valuable undertaking. INTRODUCTION I. Opening Statement: Forget about exploring outer space, we should concentrate on something a lot closer that we only know a small fraction about - Earth’s oceans. II. Central Idea: To show the benefits of Government funded exploration and examination of the oceanic environments across the globe. III. Credibility Statement: I have gathered information from various online sources and periodicals to illustrate the importance of our undersea environment.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade my audience that that solar power should become the main form of alternative energy in the Unites States. Introduction: Attention Getter: Let’s look ahead fifty years and see what the world is like. Imagine a world that is in total war with no end in sight. The cause behind this war is simple, oil. Everyone is fighting over those last few reserves of oil. How can this future be prevented. The answer is solar power. Claim: Solar power has the potential to become the United States main supply of energy and replace are needs for more conventional and harmful forms of power generation.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1587 words (4.5 pages)
- Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade my audience that I should be the next school prefect I would like to take this opportunity to run for school prefect. I believe true leadership is a quality many aspire to have, and only a few truly obtain, because in order to become a leader you must first learn to follow. I believe over the past four years this school has given me the knowledge, education and understanding to fulfil the qualities to become a prefect.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech]
416 words (1.2 pages)
- Specific Purpose Statement: to persuade General-purpose statement: to persuade my audience to become organ donors and sign up online Central Idea: my central idea are what organ donation is and how it works, arguments against organ donation and refutations, and how to become an organ donor and benefits of organ donation Good evening, everyone I want to start by doing a quick poll, just raise your hand once I asked the question. Has anyone here ever saved a life from ending. If a good portion say, “you can save even more people by becoming an organ donor.” If not a good portion say “who here will save someone’s life if it is as easy as writing two word?” You are all in luck.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
603 words (1.7 pages)
- TOPIC: The insecurity in the Starbucks mobile payment PURPOSE: To persuade SPECIFIC PURPOSE STATEMENT: To persuade the audience of this speech to increase the security of Starbuck’s user information. Thesis statement: My audience should improve the security measures used in the mobile payment application because it puts customer’s information at risk of exposure to unauthorized person. The solution suggested will ensure that customers will feel safer using a more secure application to conduct their transactions.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1090 words (3.1 pages)
- General Purpose: Speech to Persuade Specific Purpose: To get my audience to be pro on legalizing marijuana Thesis Statement: Marijuana isn't harmful and should be legalized Organizational Pattern: Cause and Effect To the AIDS or cancer patient, marijuana is the plant that fights nausea and appetite loss. To the nutritionist, its seed is second only to the soybean in nutritional value and is a source of cooking oil and vitamins. To the paper or cloth manufacturer, it is the plant that provided much of our paper and clothing for hundreds of years and produces four times more fiber per acre than trees.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech ]
1717 words (4.9 pages)
- Topic: Certification Programs General Purpose: To persuade individuals to enroll in a certification program of their choice. Thesis: This speech will cover the many educational alternatives of certification programs in higher education, as well as their advantages. This will include a detailed description of certification courses in Computer, Nursing, and Trucking. Introduction Are you one of millions of people who would like to earn great money in a respectable field of profession, but refuse to sit through 4 full years of a Bachelor’s program.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech]
854 words (2.4 pages)